BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 18, 2017 10:53 pm  #61

Re: What happened to John Watson?

I still say we will never meet Harry.
I just thinking about that today:  even in U.S series, they have a character you don't see...like Howard's mother in The Big Bang.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 18, 2017 10:54 pm  #62

SusiGo wrote:

I would like to know more about John and, yes, there seem to be issues in his life that have not been solved. But the focus has been so much on Sherlock and his family that I am not sure we will get more John history. If there will be a series 5, however, I am all for it and I really would love to meet Harry.

Maybe in Season 5, we'll finally meet her!  But even if we don't, I still want to see more John history, and to see his issues resolves as well.

Last edited by kgreen20 (March 18, 2017 10:55 pm)

March 18, 2017 10:54 pm  #63

See my post above!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 18, 2017 10:55 pm  #64

See mine above. =)

March 18, 2017 10:57 pm  #65

Emails?
Sadly they won't help the scheduling problems.

March 18, 2017 11:07 pm  #66

It might, if they put it all into another Christmas one-shot.  One episode is easier to schedule around than three.

Last edited by kgreen20 (March 18, 2017 11:08 pm)

March 18, 2017 11:09 pm  #67

That has always been my only hope...

March 18, 2017 11:12 pm  #68

That is my hope, too!   I have already emailed Gatiss and Moffat, requesting such, and I suggest that the rest of us do the same.

Sherlock can't be the only one with demons underneath the road he walks on.  John surely has his own share of demons as well, both from the war and from his childhood, all of which I strong suspect he desperately needs to face and comes to terms with if he is ever to heal.  He needs a chance to do just that.  I also think it should be his turn to be fighting for his life in the hospital, seeing as Sherlock has already had two turns doing just that in the last two seasons.  What if John's strong moral principle has earned him an enemy from his three years in Afghanistan who wants him dead?

Last edited by kgreen20 (March 18, 2017 11:25 pm)

March 18, 2017 11:14 pm  #69

I really don't think it's their decision, the problem isn't theirs!
It is purely Benedict and Martin's scheduling...

I know, but do we really want to put John through that?

March 18, 2017 11:17 pm  #70

Hey, look at what Moffat and Gatiss have already put Sherlock through!  And the nice thing about fiction is that we can wish all kinds of nasty things on fictional characters that we would never wish on a live human being. =)  And the plus side of that is that we can also wish them lots of comfort to follow the hurt and distress.  If Moffat and Gatiss grant what I have already requested, I shall want heaping doses of comfort for John, to follow his bad time.  After all, we wouldn't want him to go through a relapse of his PTSD as a result of all that, would we?

Last edited by kgreen20 (March 18, 2017 11:21 pm)

March 18, 2017 11:18 pm  #71

Yes, that part is nice!

March 19, 2017 7:15 am  #72

kgreen20 wrote:

You've made some good points.  However, John still has more healing to go through, and I want there to be at least one more season just for that.

I agree that he does. But then I think we are back to the format issue. The series raises difficult issues with complex emotions, but they have too little time to let it develop/solve itself realistically. John has already been given more screentime and more development as a character than I thought we ever would get, due to the series being called "Sherlock". 

So I don't think we will get much more (maybe involve Harry in a case that could reveal something about John's background,that could be interesting), even though I would love to see more John myself.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

March 19, 2017 7:17 am  #73

kgreen20 wrote:

Sherlock can't be the only one with demons underneath the road he walks on.  John surely has his own share of demons as well, both from the war and from his childhood, all of which I strong suspect he desperately needs to face and comes to terms with if he is ever to heal.  He needs a chance to do just that.  I also think it should be his turn to be fighting for his life in the hospital, seeing as Sherlock has already had two turns doing just that in the last two seasons.  What if John's strong moral principle has earned him an enemy from his three years in Afghanistan who wants him dead?

I read a few fics where Moran knew John back in his Afghanistan days. That is an interesting twist to it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

March 19, 2017 7:37 am  #74

I'm not sure if everything has to be made right - I'm kind of fine at the moment with them both being slightly damaged characters, who are still able to be Holmes and Watson.   They will always have "issues".   Which I think is kind of realistic, and also helps to explain their unique bond.   If they completed sorted themselves out, they wouldn't need each other as much. 

March 19, 2017 8:32 am  #75

And the adventure stories wouldn't be nearly as interesting.

March 19, 2017 1:53 pm  #76

I agree, Liberty, I am quite happy with where we left them.

Team Hudders!

March 19, 2017 3:45 pm  #77

Me, too, I am happy with how all of the characters were left.

Board footera