BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 25, 2016 5:59 pm  #441

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

Well, perhaps not the most conventional of lovers, but there is a romantic aspect to the story of Wuthering Heights.  I finished it about a week ago.  It's quite a sad story, but I still liked it.

Now I'm reading a couple books at the moment.  Through the Looking-Glass (for the same class that I read Tess  and Wuthering Heights) and The Man Who Fell to Earth by Walter Tevis just because I want to.

Clueing for looks.

September 25, 2016 6:03 pm  #442

I love it, but I seem to remember finding the end a tad disappointing.

EDIT okay, I currently have 2 on the go(which I hate): halfway through the second in The Anne of Green Gables series and now similarly halfway through The short stories of Chekov...can't say I'm particularly enjoying the latter.

I would love to read The Man who fell to Earth, as I love the film.
I love Through the looking Glass.
I've read a couple of Hardy, but not Tess.

Last edited by besleybean (September 25, 2016 6:10 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 25, 2016 6:35 pm  #443

The ending of Wuthering Heights is not a "wow" ending, I don't think.  I remember the ending making me cry when I saw the movie when I was a kid...but it's different in the movie and also that's the only part of the movie I remember.  It's not bad, just perhaps not the most exciting or surprising.

Are you saying you hate having 2 books on the go at once?
Anne of Green Gables is a Canadian classic and I've read it, bit I think I only ever read the first one.

Last edited by Yitzock (September 25, 2016 6:36 pm)

Clueing for looks.

September 25, 2016 6:38 pm  #444

I'm gonna try and read the whole of the Anne series.
Yes, I really only like having one book on the go at a time.
What occasionally happens, is that I'll have one real book and one Ebook on the go.
But this time, it's actually 2 real books!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 15, 2016 4:46 pm  #445

I never came back to talk about the fact that I finished The Man Who Fell to Earth last Friday.  I thought it was an interesting story, with interesting themes and ideas and images.  The final image that we are left with in the book brought a tear to my eye.
From what I know about the film, which I now want to see even more, it's rather different in some elements and things that happen.  Really curious how it works in the film and whether the ending is different or not.

Clueing for looks.

October 15, 2016 4:49 pm  #446

So we are opposite...I've only seen the film and it really depressed me...I do want to read the book.

I finished both the second Anne and Chekov(thank god on the latter!).
I am currently on my E book version of Arabian Nights.
But next week I will start a new, real book.

December 5, 2016 12:45 am  #447

I'm reading Christmas books! =)

December 5, 2016 2:00 am  #448

Aw, that's nice. Any favourites?

Clueing for looks.

December 15, 2016 9:37 pm  #449

I just finished Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. I got it when it came out in July but I didn't get to read it until now. It is a bit different in feel from the other Harry Potter books, but I think part of that is because it's a script and because there were other writers involved. I liked it, anyway. Its very existence means that the "All was well" ending of Deathly Hallows isn't completely true, but I thought it was a continuation that made sense, and I liked returning to the characters after so long. I really like that Harry and Draco's sons are friends, that their fathers' lives do not have to dictate their relationship. And that as adults Draco and Harry can actually work together.

Clueing for looks.

January 2, 2017 5:23 pm  #450

I'm currently reading Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers. No, I never read it before... *shame on me* And I don't particularly like the Disney version, so I'm discovering the original book ! 

January 2, 2017 5:24 pm  #451

I love the Disney version, but have always wanted to read the book....
I'm reading 'Half of a yellow sun'.

January 2, 2017 6:25 pm  #452

I've wanted to read it, too, even if I like the movie. Especially after seeing Saving Mr. Banks.

Clueing for looks.

January 2, 2017 7:11 pm  #453

Yes, Saving Mr Banks is a wonderful movie ! Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson were brilliant, as usual for these actors !

March 14, 2017 2:39 am  #454

I am currently reading Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston. It's one of those books that drew me in from the first few lines, and I am enjoying it very much.

Clueing for looks.

March 14, 2017 6:44 am  #455

Gosh I always forget about this thread and then have loads to catch up on!
So since I was last on here, I have read:
The Riddle of the Sands- Erskine Childers, which mentions Sherlock Holmes!
Death in Venice, by Thomas Mann.(Love it)
Now I'm just about to finish The Frozen Shroud by Martin Edwards.

Don't yet know which real book I will read next, but I know my next Ebook for when I'm in London next month, will be Around the word in 80 days- did I say?

March 15, 2017 12:17 am  #456

I don't think you mentioned those books before.  Looks like an interesting variety of books.

Clueing for looks.

March 15, 2017 6:50 am  #457

Well as I think I've mentioned before, I mix real and Ebooks anyway and I only have classics loaded on my Ereader.
But I read a real hotchpotch of actual books...whatever takes my fancy from our book room!

March 15, 2017 9:50 pm  #458

Same goes for me.  Mostly I've been reading stuff for my classes at university (not that I'm complaining, I enjoy it most of the time) and then over the breaks I'll pick up a book of mine that I haven't read yet or get whatever I feel like reading at the library.

Clueing for looks.

May 27, 2017 8:03 am  #459

Just finished to read "Call me by your name"  by André Aciman (2007) and now awaiting the movie . The book is good, the movie should be good as well, according to a few reviews I managed to find.
Now I ordered some new books, by E.M. Forster and Christine Wunnicke (whom I adore a lot).

Men should be what they seem, 
Or those that be not, would they might seem none!

May 27, 2017 8:08 am  #460

I am always pleased when someone resurrects this thread...I suspect I have a lot to catch up on, as usual!
Well I loved Around the world in 80 days.
I then read another Chris Brookmyre(read tons of his).
Then a collection of scifi short stories edited by Asimov and they were great.
I am just about to finish my first Kafka: a collection of short stories, including Metamorphosis.
To my shame, I've never actually read a full Forster.

Board footera