BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 28, 2012 4:20 am  #1

A question of common sense

You are in a hospital building, in a lab perhaps.

You get a phone call that someone who lives in the same building as you has been shot, quite badly perhaps the paramedics  suggest that she is dying.

Why would you catch a cab to your home? Don't paramedics have ambulances and take seriously hurt people to hospitals?

Steve Thompson! ????? *slap*

ps I am not suggesting it's any kind of clue, please don't try to make it into one. It's what we in Australia call a 'stuff up'. It was just more convenient to get John far from the hospital for a short time.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 28, 2012 4:35 am  #2

Re: A question of common sense

And it's canon!

I agree though, if Mrs Hudson had just been seriously injured she would have been taken to hospital. They could have had John going to another hospital somewhere on the other side of London. St Barts isn't the only hospital in town!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 28, 2012 6:43 pm  #3

The fact, that John looks for a dying Mrs. H at their Baker Street address, has bothered me quite a bit, but like you guys I certainly don't see a clue there. But I have learned a word, which was new for me, though maybe not for most of you. It's called 'fridge logic', which means, when you watch a tv show, you don't question the course of events, until you go to your fridge to fetch a beer. Then you start thinking:'Gee, that was really silly of John! Why didn't he ask the paramedic, where they took Mrs. H?' Fridge logic is tolerated for the greater good of the story line. In this case we were meant to see within a second, that the call was false, and we also got introduced to one of the potential assassins.
Sorry, if everybody has heard the word 'fridge logic' already, but for me, it's definitely new, and I'm trying to find a good German translation now, since there is a lot of that kind of logic in 'Sherlock'. They get away with it, because the show is so good, that people don't go to the fridge very often .

Last edited by sherlocked (March 28, 2012 8:46 pm)

March 28, 2012 8:52 pm  #4

Oh, I've never heard of fridge logic before (despite the fact that I do get up to get beer in my fridge!) Thanks for sharing!;D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moriarty: "How hard do you find it? Having to say 'I don't know' ?"
Sherlock: "I don't know."
Moriarty: "Oh that's clever, that's very clever, awfully clever."

March 28, 2012 9:15 pm  #5

I like the idea of fridge logic, no I haven't heard of it before. A good excuse to get up and go for a beer but then you would miss some of the episode, at least you will on the BBC because they have no commercial breaks! Yay!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 28, 2012 9:34 pm  #6

Here in Germany 'Sherlock' is also shown without commercial breaks, it's on public tv. So no time to develop some common sense during the show. It's left to us puzzle-obsessed fans to dissect everything with screen grabs and slo -mo, lol!

March 28, 2012 9:37 pm  #7

I suppose I can always use the pause button on the tv control, but somehow that just feels so wrong!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera