BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 7, 2017 6:47 pm  #41

Re: Unanswered questions/ plot holes post S4

Oakwood375 wrote:

Not sure if these belong here, since it's more nitpicking, but here goes.

Where exactly was that well? Who got John out of it?
How did Eurus get off the island?
How did Eurus keep footage of Moriarty all those years?
Did Smallcroft ever get anywhere?

Ok, the answers to those questions request some imaganation, but I think a have an answer to most of them (although not everyone will be satisfied by those answers, I know): 

We can see in the whole Sherlock/John/Lestrade scene in the end that the well was quite close to Musgrave Manor. But then why didn't they find Victor? My explanation is that the well was hidden between a thick hedge or thick bushes back when Sherlock, Eurus and Mycroft were children an nobody except Eurus knew it was even there. Probably the former owner had built it secretly so it didn't apear on any map or blueprint. And as the children had been playing a lot around the house, the searchdogs would smell Victor all over the place, not just around the well. The well was covered so they couldn't hear Victor crying for help if they weren't standing quite near the well. And he probably stopped crying quite soon for lack of oxygen or exhaustion. Of course in TFP the well could be seen quite well, but Sherlock didn't look for it, he went straight into the house and then to the graveyard. 

Who got John out of the well? I guess Eurus wanted Sherlock to find John. She had left the rope and the key to Johns chains beside the well or told Sherlock where to find those objects. Sherlock first threw the rope down to John and then the key so John could open the chains himself. I like to imagine that the key was tied to a string, too, so there wasn't any risk of it getting lost between bones . . .

How did Eurus get off the island? By helicopter, just like the rest of the staff and visitors. Either the pilot was one of Moriarty's people or she had manipulated him into helping her. We don't know, but she was basically running Sherrinford, so it can't have been too difficult for her to also manipulate a pilot into helping her. 

How did Eurus keep footage of Moriarty all those years? Online storage. We know that she was allowed internet access to help Mycroft predict several terrorist attacks. While she was online, she could easily have installed an e-mail account or some cloud storage service to which Moriarty could send/upload his video files. 

Did Smallcroft get anywhere? I think he answer to that question is best left to fanfiction 

February 7, 2017 6:48 pm  #42

I have my own take on Mycroft's love life in my current attempt at fanfic!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 7, 2017 7:20 pm  #43

Sounds promising 

February 7, 2017 7:22 pm  #44

It's certainly unconventional, both in who I ship him with and the kind of relationship it is...but that's my fanfics right through- no wonder they don't see the light of day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 3, 2017 12:31 am  #45

I don't really know in which thread to write this.
Alltogether a thing that I miss/don't like in series four: We were told it is about consequences. And yes, there are consequences about other things but in the end really nothing about the Magnussen murder. It is wiped away pretty easily within the first few minutes.
Even without knowing about this announcement, it would feel odd/not believable. Especially if you take into account the overall seriousness in series 4.

Maybe it would already have been enough if in the maze of horror in the end there would have been a sentence at one point a la "What's the matter with killing? You took someone else's life before."
"You can't deny that it is emotional context that is driving you."
To make the viewer rethink everything even further.

Or somewhere in TLD when John is beating up Sherlock a la "Is it a bloody game, yes!? You are just about to murder again! About to make another terrible mistake! But not this time!"

Last edited by Rache (March 3, 2017 12:34 am)

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

March 3, 2017 6:45 am  #46

Well I think the authorities deliberately tried to sweep the CAM murder on the carpet, but they had the fake video for anyone that asked and the hapless guard would have been dealt with.

March 3, 2017 7:38 am  #47

I do think they tend to veer away from gritty realism in that sense.   It's the same with John beating up Sherlock - normally that would be viewed as a serious crime, and he'd possibly be up before a fitness to practice board or similar.   But it's kind of waved away.  So dismissing Magnussen's killing (although it's mentioned again in TLD) is similar.  I suppose Mary shooting Sherlock is as well, even though that's in HLV - there aren't direct consequences of the type you're talking of in S4 (even in HLV, John ignoring Mary seems to be as much about her deception as the violence).

March 3, 2017 8:05 am  #48

I always view Sherlock acts of violence like this:  it's TV not reality, but we also have to remember we  are seeing more as a viewer than the public(in the show!) would...Mycroft virtually is the government and can cover up anything he wants to- for whatever reason.
Anyway, Sherlock wouldn't have made police complaints about either John or Mary.

March 3, 2017 6:08 pm  #49

besleybean wrote:

Well I think the authorities deliberately tried to sweep the CAM murder on the carpet, but they had the fake video for anyone that asked and the hapless guard would have been dealt with.

Yes yes, I understand what they did and why they did it.
And that it can work fine in the tv reality of Sherlock. (Like you all said)

But in the end of HLV they orchestrate this matter in a very serious way: Sherlock as the crying boy alone in the blinding light of the helicopter. Mycroft being in panic and his bitterly disappointed "oh Sherlock, what have you done?", Mycrofts discussion with his government people.
Showing Sherlock as the small boy shows that Sherlock is affected deeply.

In series four this is all gone. (well to be honest the seriousness is already kind of gone in the plane scenes in TAB)

And as I said: only one or two more strong sentences (I believe our authors could come up with much better sentences than I have written above after thinking only five minutes about some examples) could have made a huuuuge difference.

I can't say this is bothering me very much, but I think it would have made series four even a bit better.

- - -

Breathing is boring!

March 3, 2017 6:11 pm  #50

Sherlock's angst was knowing he would be separated form John and Mary and wouldn't be able to protect them anymore.
Mycroft's angst would be not knowing if he could get Sherlock out of this one and also, remember how against killing he is....there was nothing he could do about the latter, but the other issues were solved.

March 5, 2017 7:57 pm  #51

Hm ok, you are right, that's kind of true... I have never seen it consciously but now as you mentioned it... yeah it's a valid explanation for considering the murder as done with.
Still I have the feeling there should be something more to it. I like to think of Sherlock as a good man who can't just wipe away the fact that he just killed a man, especially concerning the circumstances that led to it. He almost never makes a mistake and now in this important case concerning his best friend and his wife he made one.

But all this also kind of goes along with how the show works in general: They always move on with the beginning of each season. There is new stuff to explore, the story doesn't linger very much with what happened in the past.

Last edited by Rache (March 6, 2017 2:30 pm)

- - -

Breathing is boring!

March 5, 2017 7:59 pm  #52

I'm fine with that.

March 6, 2017 11:39 am  #53

Since this refers to more than episode, I chose to put it here. 

- Why do we see the same looking glass in Appledore and 221b?
- Why does the room where Greg interrogates John look like a bathroom or the bottom of a tiled well?
- Who is the creepy guy standing behind John? 

http://gosherlocked.tumblr.com/post/158060479911/cams-looking-glass

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 6, 2017 11:46 am  #54

The guy standing behind John is probably a guard/someone working in the police who's in charge of the keys, making sure the person being interrogated doesn't get violent/try to run etc. (Not that they would suspect anything like that from John, but I imagine it's standard procedure).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

March 6, 2017 3:55 pm  #55

I noticed before that this weird instrument is filmed so that it directly appears on Sherlocks wrist where his watch should be. I never realised, it is the same device like the one in Appledore, though. 
Maybe this means we should have a closer look at the time/what's happening with time?

But the thing on the skull'seye is a different thing, isn't it? And, sorry, why is the shark pic there? Is there something I'm not seeing? :D

Maybe Sherlock stole the looking glass as a prize, lol. No, but seriously, it really is suspicious.

- - -

Breathing is boring!

April 20, 2017 8:18 am  #56

I was just wondering... did Molly break up with Tom? He was her partner in the wedding, but he was not her partner in Rosie's christening. So did she break up with him in the time period of HLV?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

April 20, 2017 8:39 am  #57

They broke up shortly after the wedding. In the lab scene in HLV Sherlock says after Molly slapped him:

"Sorry your engagement’s over – though I’m fairly grateful for the lack of a ring."

I suppose she realised how very much not like Sherlock he was. 

Last edited by SusiGo (April 20, 2017 8:40 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 20, 2017 10:50 am  #58

Oh, of course. How could I have forgotten that. *smacks own head*

Team Hudders!

Board footera