BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 14, 2012 9:21 pm  #1

what does everybody think about benedict being smaug in the hobbit

He is playing smaug the dragon and a necromancer what does everybody think about this?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you eliminate the impossible,
What every remains,
However improbable,...
Must be the truth !

February 15, 2012 6:27 am  #2

Re: what does everybody think about benedict being smaug in the hobbit

Well, in my oppinion his voice fits perfectly to the dragon, couldn't find a better fit. he has such a deep voice 
He will probably play both roles perfectly 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a highly functioning sociopath. Do your research."
-- Sherlock (to Anderson)

February 15, 2012 8:00 am  #3

I think so as well ! I will also like him as the bad guy in startrek but maybe not as much.......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you eliminate the impossible,
What every remains,
However improbable,...
Must be the truth !

March 21, 2012 11:30 pm  #4

Great casting, to say the least. To bad they split the story in two, so we'll probably have to wait until December '13 to see his portrayal of Smaug.

Is there a possibility that the Necromancer will be in Part I? At least then we would be able to see him this year.

March 21, 2012 11:52 pm  #5

I think it's perfect! He has an incredible voice, and I believe it will suit Smaug very well. :D I just wish we didn't have to wait another year and a half to hear him as Smaug. ;(

@Harry Lime That's actually a good question! I just looked it up on IMDB to see if he was in the cast list, but I didn't see anything. So maybe not. But there's always a chance! ;D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DON'T PANIC

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - A.C. Doyle

March 22, 2012 3:46 am  #6

According to Irene in this thread :
http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=191

You won't see his character until the second movie.
Don't ask me, I know nothing about the story, lol.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 22, 2012 8:27 am  #7

I've read something about the cut between the two films and I really don't think we will get any Benedict till the second one. Anyway, we'll have a lot of Martin in both of them, and also a lot of Richard Armitage and Ian McKellen, which I love also...
Anyway, I'm sure Smaug will be absolutely amazing. Benedict is doing his voice (OMG, what a voice...), but also his movements and they will take his facial expressions the same way they did with Andy Serkis for Gollum. So I'm sure it will be great.
About the Necromancer, it's been a long time since I read The Hobbit for the last time. I can't remember if he actually shows up or if only the White Council talks about him. Maybe we can see a glimpse of him in the first movie... but I don't think so 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

March 23, 2012 12:10 pm  #8

I think, the casting was a stroke of genius. And I know, I will feel sorry for Smaug now, when he dies, but maybe he's only faking his death, because always guarding a treasure is pretty boring and not very challenging, lol!
The Necromancer is only talked about in the book, but who knows, how the script will handle it; maybe we will get a glimpse of him in the first part of the movie...

March 23, 2012 2:20 pm  #9

The great thing about Benedict is that is is able to use 'The Voice' but is also very versatile in the voices he can use/produce.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 10, 2012 10:53 pm  #10

So, it's been announced that The Hobbit will now be THREE films with the last coming out in 2014. Is it possible Smaug won't even show up til number 3?? I'll be so angry if there's not even a bit of him in the 2nd. GAH!

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

September 11, 2012 12:04 am  #11

Looking at the titles I would assume Smaug shows up in number 2!

September 11, 2012 7:27 pm  #12

Ah, thanks so much for pointing that out, I hadn't seen the titles of all three movies for some reason. Well thank god for that haha.

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

Board footera