BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 1, 2017 12:30 pm  #1

TAB in the light of S4

Thinking back to TAB I feel that this is episode precisely what we have been told in the beginning - a stand-alone. And here are my reasons:

http://gosherlocked.tumblr.com/post/156667240576/a-stand-alone-after-all-some-thoughts-about-tab

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 1, 2017 12:49 pm  #2

Re: TAB in the light of S4

Interesting, thanks for sharing

I read this article a while ago about TAB being the turning point of the show towards Sherlock and Watson's love story, kind of a declaration of intentions for the upcoming episodes -> http://www.xojane.com/entertainment/sherlock-johnlocker-fandom-is-right It was written before S4 so I'm not sure what the author thinks about it now.

Anyway, regardless of what you think about Johnlock or if she was eventually right, I think it supports your view about TAB being mostly about non plot issues (moral, sexuality, feelings, etc.). And I agree with you both on that.

I wonder, though, what's the reasoning behind it. Did the writers want to preserve as much freedom of action as possible for S4? Or did they think that it was worth it to take a step back from the story and deepen other aspects of Sherlock?

It's a pretty cool way to add texture and depth to the series as a whole, anyway. 

Last edited by Elemental (February 1, 2017 12:50 pm)

"It is what it is"
"You see, but you do not observe"

"I shall die upon a cloud of Johnlock fluff and have my body launched into the sun". - LadyTuesday

February 1, 2017 1:29 pm  #3

Thank you for your feedback. I am a Johnlocker and even after S4 I am still convinced that TAB was an important step towards Sherlock's inner progress.

As for the reasons of filming TAB:
- they knew they could not do S4 in 2015 which would have resulted in a three years between series 3 and 4. But they could gather the team for one episode, hence a special. 
- they always wanted to do a Victorian Sherlock and this seemed to them the one moment where it was possible. 

However, I still wonder why there no connection at all between TAB and TST. To me it seems as if it had not happened at all which has always been my theory. Nothing in TAB is real, not even the modern scenes. And the fact that they are not continued in TST confirms this to me. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 17, 2017 6:27 pm  #4

I'll be rewatching TAB soon after going through the first three seasons to try and make sense of S4, so hopefully I'll be able to give you more feedback on this

"It is what it is"
"You see, but you do not observe"

"I shall die upon a cloud of Johnlock fluff and have my body launched into the sun". - LadyTuesday

February 17, 2017 6:43 pm  #5

Cool.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 17, 2017 7:21 pm  #6

"I know what he's going to do next" is followed through into TST. 

From Ariane de Vere:
"He’s planned something; something long-term; something that would take effect if he never made it off that rooftop alive. Posthumous revenge. No – better than that. Posthumous game."

That's what sets of Moriarty on the wrong track in TST - he's waiting for the sign that the game has started, and then tries to connect it to Moriarty (the Borgia pearl - I actually wondered if Mycroft was deliberately leading him astray on that, but I've changed my mind now).  Then we find out in TFP, that Sherlock was right - there was a posthumous game - but it was Eurus, rather than Moriarty, who was behind it. 

So yes, this is an idea that follows through from TAB.  It's just not what we (or Sherlock) expected.

I do agree that TAB was mainly about the opportunity to do a Victorian one-off, though. 

Last edited by Liberty (February 17, 2017 7:23 pm)

Board footera