BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 17, 2017 12:59 pm  #21

Re: There's something I don't understand.

Wow, I never even noticed these changes. Maybe - after the painful events at the end of HLV - Mycroft was (purposely or subconsciously) trying (not very successfully as far as Sherlock is concerned) to distance himself even more from anything that could be even remotely close to friendship or caring (feelings which - according to him - could only lead to pain in the end). Thus the more formal, distant addressing of John.

February 17, 2017 1:01 pm  #22

And perhaps he addressed John according to how close his relationship was with Sherlock? Formal when they didn't know each other well, first-name basis when they were close friends and back to formal once Sherlock and John's relationship became a bit tense and estranged.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 17, 2017 2:13 pm  #23

But In TFP Sherlock and John are quite close again, working together all the time, even creating the horror house scenario for Mycroft. But even after Sherlock expressly states that he regards John as family, Mycroft continues to address him as Doctor Watson. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 17, 2017 3:06 pm  #24

Hm, yes, that is true. I was thinking TFP had different circumstances. First it was perhaps a formal goodbye (although he did call him Dr. Watson at the "horror house" scenario too, didn't he?). And then I figured it was the "bad boy" kind of distant persona he was creating later on in the Eurus horror house.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 17, 2017 3:35 pm  #25

He calls him Doctor Watson all the time in this episode - in the horror house, in 221b, and in Sherrinford in more than one instance. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 17, 2017 5:03 pm  #26

I do think it's harking back to the first episode when they met...it's closure, full circle stuff.
Or maybe just Mycroft trying to take control in a rapidly falling apart situation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 17, 2017 5:19 pm  #27

If it's not because Mycroft tries distancing himself from everything that could be too personal, then it could also be a sign of respect: At the end of TAB he kind of officially passes the "durty" (or priviledge?) of looking after Sherlock on to John ("look after him, please"), he entrusts John with Sherlock's safety and wellbeing. So the "Dr. Watson" could also be a sign of respect, showing that he thinks John worthy to take over that task. 

February 17, 2017 6:29 pm  #28

Hmm.  Could be.

February 18, 2017 8:06 am  #29

In TLD we see Smith questioning John's doctor title and we see John reacting badly to it. It seems that his title is important to John.

Maybe Mycroft saying "Dr Watson" is the reversed action to that, a display of respect.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

February 18, 2017 8:46 am  #30

I like that idea.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 19, 2017 3:27 am  #31

Maybe.  May well be.  That's good of Mycroft, if that's the reason.  I like that better than Mycroft using John's title to distance himself from him.

Board footera