BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 29, 2017 9:35 pm  #1

German TV is getting its own "Sherlock Holmes"

Uhm so I just had a huge wtf moment when I finished watching the news on the ZDF. They aired an commercial for a new crime film. Already in the first seconds I was a tiny bit reminded of Sherlock. And then the main character really said this sentence: "Ich bin nicht Sherlock Holmes, ich bin Wissenschaftler." (="I'm not Sherlock Holmes, I'm a scientist.")
I think I raised my eyebrows up in a very sceptical manner at that point.
And then, in the end, the guy really sat down in a very kind of Sherlocky armchair (black leather). O.o With a huge focus on his hands. He wore a pair of those medical plastic gloves.
AND this hasn't been all... this series is called "Professor T."
dafuq

I'm ready to see German television fail, but I will surely give them a chance. :D Apparently this new series will air next Saturday 22:45 on the ZDF.

Last edited by Rache (January 29, 2017 9:42 pm)

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

January 29, 2017 9:46 pm  #2

Re: German TV is getting its own "Sherlock Holmes"

Oh, thank you for the info, I will surely check this out. *off the look for a trailer*

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 29, 2017 9:50 pm  #3

Well, it does not look too bad. Nice suit. Nice chair. But he seems to lack the most important thing - a Watson. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 29, 2017 10:27 pm  #4

SusiGo wrote:

Well, it does not look too bad. Nice suit. Nice chair. But he seems to lack the most important thing - a Watson. 

Ha!

There is apparently a Russian rip-off of BBC Sherlock (sort of), called Freud's Method... The title sequence is very, very similar to BBC Sherlock too, even the score...

I'm not really eager to check it out. I'm actually appaled you guys are so disloyal

Last edited by ewige (January 29, 2017 10:29 pm)

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 29, 2017 10:27 pm  #5

Yeah, looks totally ok for German TV, but it can only be a disappointment for all of us BBC Sherlock fans. :D
The suit and everything... you could nearly call it a copy,  couldn't you?

- - -

Breathing is boring!

January 29, 2017 10:31 pm  #6

Well, as Mark said about the Russian version... It's the sincerest form of flattery ;)

-----

January 29, 2017 10:36 pm  #7

The description says he talks down to people and he's always right.
Okay.
Not a rip-off at all.
Sure.

-----

January 29, 2017 11:05 pm  #8

Haha! Perhaps they could be taking a page out of the Russian TV producers' book. Or perhaps were just inspired. Maybe there will be other things about it that are different?
Not like I will be watching it anyway, being in Canada.

Clueing for looks.

January 29, 2017 11:21 pm  #9

Having spent a fair amount of time wearing latex gloves, I already see the German version bidding farewell to this particular visual distinction.
After that it will be yet another a copy with a not so handsome lead (and without a Watson).

-----

January 30, 2017 5:10 am  #10

I don't know about the German series but as I was trying to find a trailer, I came across informations about a French series whose filming began in June (it already aired on belgian tv, from what I understood. And i've just seen the trailer. The main character also wears latex gloves lol)

​It is called "Prof T", and is about a criminology teacher who is cynic, asocial but brilliant (rings a bell? lol). He has apparently a lot of OCDs and phobias, one of them being bacillophobia. It prevents him from having any physical contact with others. He will have to face his fears (both social and emotional) when he helps one of his former students, a female police captain, in her investigations.

Hmmm...

I imagine this is the French version of the German series? ​

Last edited by Punch me in the face (January 30, 2017 5:12 am)

Just like old times...

January 30, 2017 6:49 am  #11

You are right, Punch me in the face!
It is the same story, but it is the other way round. The German description says that it is based on a Belgian crime series. ;)

Last edited by Rache (January 30, 2017 6:50 am)

- - -

Breathing is boring!

January 30, 2017 7:27 am  #12

Well, since the ARD isn't able or willing to show S4 anywhere close to the UK air date, maybe the ZDF thought it might be a nice opportunity to do their own version.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 30, 2017 7:35 am  #13

There's always room for another adaptation!  I hope it turns out to be really good. 

January 30, 2017 7:41 am  #14

He does not even have curls ... 

January 30, 2017 7:48 am  #15

As long as he doesn't live in the Bäckerstraße... 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

January 30, 2017 7:58 am  #16

SolarSystem wrote:

As long as he doesn't live in the Bäckerstraße... 

Heh, ta for the laugh!

BBC Sherlock has a unique feel to it. There's no way to copy it. I know other people may enjoy stories with similar elements, but they just remind me that our Sherlock is over and that makes me sad.

-----

January 30, 2017 8:06 am  #17

Yep, the unique feel is the reason why I watch BBC Sherlock. Because it's true, it's not a detective show but a show about a detective. I usually don't watch crime shows (the other big exception is "Broadchurch"), and certainly no German crime shows, not even "Tatort". So I won't watch this new show, either. Not interested.

Last edited by SolarSystem (January 30, 2017 8:06 am)

January 30, 2017 6:12 pm  #18

Oh God no. Whenever they try to copy something cool it goes wrong and is embarrassing.
(Well with exception from "Stromberg" German version of Ricky Gervais' "The office")

I just googled it and read two articles about it, when I read the first article I was reminded of "Monk" and in the second article they actually described it as kind of "Monk" and "House" mix. So not quite a German Sherlock Holmes, at least not what we know as Sherlock Holmes. 

Last edited by Ivy (January 30, 2017 6:14 pm)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 30, 2017 6:13 pm  #19

I don't watch much at all, but the last detective/police series I watched (an Icelandic series called "Trapped" in the UK) did seem to be about the detective as much as the crimes - and it seemed very important that it was a small community with connections between people.  So not my usual genre, but I'm wondering if there's a move more towards that sort of "human" approach. 

January 30, 2017 6:32 pm  #20

That is very well possible, Liberty, "Broadchurch" works like this, as well. (And hey, German tv also did a remake of "Broadchurch", so it seems it's easier for them to rely on already existing material than to come up with something original... nevertheless the remake wasn't anywhere near as good as the original.)

Board footera