BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 22, 2017 9:03 pm  #1

What would have happened to Sherlock if Mycroft had died in TFP?

I had been thinking about what might have happened to Sherlock if Mycroft had died in TFP.  Not so much emotionally but I was thinking more practically about whether he would have been able to continue his duties as a consulting detective.  It seems to me that Mycroft affords not only some level of protection to his brother due to his status in the British government, but also that he afforded access to some places, such as Baskerville, that Sherlock would otherwise not have had.  Mycroft also uses Sherlock's abilities and has even put him in harm's way a few times as well. 
I have no doubt Sherlock's deductive abilities and cleverness would have remained intact and that he could still help with police work, but I think many of the things he was able to do to gain information would not be possible without Mycroft. 
Any thoughts?

"Is that why you're calling yourself Greg?" 
"That's his name!"
"Is it?"

January 22, 2017 9:32 pm  #2

Re: What would have happened to Sherlock if Mycroft had died in TFP?

Good question, but I don't really want to think about it, because that was my worst case scenario.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 22, 2017 9:35 pm  #3

I was worried about Sherlock telling Greg to take care of Mycroft, but I am just not thinking about anything possibly happening to him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 22, 2017 9:52 pm  #4

On the practical level, I think Lady Smallwood is aware of his abilities, and might consider giving him some special privileges for particular cases.  After all, they seem to know about Eurus and use her when necessary, so they're used to unconventional methods.  But of course, they'd have lost Mycroft's brilliant mind. 

On the emotional level, I don't think Sherlock could have coped with killing Mycroft.

January 22, 2017 11:27 pm  #5

I have always thought that Sherlock, despite the constant bickering with his bro, would be devastated if anything happened to Mycroft (and I just can't imagine if Mycroft died by his hand!) but now I know (and Sherlock knows as well!) everything Mycroft has been through to protect him, I think he will find it really hard to cope.

​As for more down to earth problems, I believe Mycroft is a very organized and foresighted man. I'm pretty sure there are already tons of papers (notarised agreements??) filled with precise indications as to what to do if he were to die tomorrow, about his work in general, but also about Sherlock. He's spent his whole life protecting Sherlock. He knows he can die any day. Surely, he wouldn't take the risk to leave without making sure his brother is protected and can keep on working properly (= being able to intervene in Scotland Yard's cases, being given special accesses etc). I don't like the idea of a potential romance between Mycroft and Lady Smallwood, but I like the idea that he would trust her enough to let her take over if anything happened to him.

Last edited by Punch me in the face (January 23, 2017 12:53 am)

Just like old times...

January 23, 2017 12:03 am  #6

Good points!  I know Sherlock would be devastated if he were to lose Mycroft, but  I think Mycroft would actually be worse off were he to lose Sherlock as he seems to be more alone than Sherlock.  At least Sherlock would have John and other friends to support him. 
I do like the idea of Lady Smallwood being Mycroft's confidante and, yes, I think she could look out for Sherlock if appointed to do so.

"Is that why you're calling yourself Greg?" 
"That's his name!"
"Is it?"

January 23, 2017 12:47 am  #7

Yes, exactly. Mycroft can tell Sherlock "I'm not lonely" a hundred times, he definitely is. At least, from what we are shown on screen, he's got no friends (in SIB, he was alone at home on Christmas' night!) and his relationship with his parents (at least Mummy holmes) seems quite complicated. He has no one but Sherlock.

​I wrote a fanfiction in which Mycroft was dying a couple years ago and that's what I actually pointed out: Sherlock was asking him what he was going to do without him, telling him he needed him, and Mycroft thought "That’s what you believe. That’s what I used to believe too. The truth is that I’ve always needed you more than you ever needed me. You’ve got friends. John Watson. Mrs Hudson. Molly Hooper. Gareth Lestrade. Or is if Geoff? Me... I have no one but you, Sherlock.​"

Just like old times...

January 23, 2017 8:56 pm  #8

Punch me in the face wrote:

Sherlock was asking him what he was going to do without him, telling him he needed him, and Mycroft thought "That’s what you believe. That’s what I used to believe too. The truth is that I’ve always needed you more than you ever needed me. You’ve got friends. John Watson. Mrs Hudson. Molly Hooper. Gareth Lestrade. Or is if Geoff? Me... I have no one but you, Sherlock.​"

Aaaah, that is so sad  But so true. Given that usually neither the fat nor the smart kids are the popular ones in school, I don't think Mycroft ever had a close friend or anyone he truely cared about apart from his little brother. 

As for the main topic of this thread, I think Sherlock is famous enough now to make a living from cases without relying on his brother's resources. Maybe some cases would be harder to solve or could not be sovled withouth Mycroft's practical help, but I don't think - as far as practical resources are concerned - Mycroft's death would habe been a big problem. On an emotional level, on the other hand, his death would have had a major impact on Sherlock. I can't imagine Mycroft happily walking through Sherlocks Mind Palace helping him solve cases if he had died in Sherrinford . . . Aaaah, I don't even want to imagine Mycroft dying. My favourite character isn't supposed to die!

January 23, 2017 9:06 pm  #9

I always imagined that if he had actually shot Mycroft, he wouldn't have been so forgiving of Eurus afterwards, visiting her.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 23, 2017 9:07 pm  #10

This is true.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 24, 2017 3:47 am  #11

I'm sure you're right.

Board footera