BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2017 5:53 pm  #1

Poll: Did you cry while watching TFP?

I thought this poll would serve as a good general view on the emotional impact.

Could be intersting to do the same poll for T6T and TLD, don't you think?

I picked the answer: Yes and I don't cry easily on film/tv.
The worst scenes for me were the Molly scene and the whole scene afterwards when Sherlock had to decide whom to kill, Mycroft trying to manipulate Sherlock into choosing to shoot him.

Last edited by Rache (January 19, 2017 5:56 pm)

Did you cry while watching TFP?

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

January 19, 2017 5:56 pm  #2

Re: Poll: Did you cry while watching TFP?

I can be very emotional but no, I didn't cry. I think I was just too terrified of the SAW-like plot O.o
Also, a little numb after a year of speculation.
I think TFP was very moving still.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 19, 2017 6:35 pm  #3

I really don't cry easily on fiction. Well, I actually don't cry easily at all.

​But I had a pain in my chest and a single tear rolled on my cheek when Mycroft started to say all those bad things and that I immediately realised he was doing that to make things easier for Sherlock.

​Tbh, I'd asked to be spoil on only one thing, and that was on Mycroft. I knew before I watched the episode that he wasn't going to die (that was my greatest fear as he's my fav character)

​I think if I hadn't known for sure that he was going to make it alive, if I had thought that he could die at that moment (I still don't think Sherlock would have shot him, but still...), I genuinely think I would have burst into tears.

Just like old times...

January 19, 2017 6:51 pm  #4

Likewise if Sherlock really had shot himself...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2017 8:33 pm  #5

I didn't cry, but I had eyes the size of tin plates,I hid behind my jumper, sat on the edge of my seat and had a lump in my throat throughout most of the episode. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 19, 2017 8:35 pm  #6

That sounds like me!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2017 8:48 pm  #7

I had wet eyes, and that barely ever happens when watching TV. It was when Sherlock remembered Victor.

The only other time I remember being that close to crying was when Bambi's mother died. I was six then. :-(

Edit: That's not entirely true. I am ALWAYS close to tears when shows I love end in a touching way. Like when Picard joined his crew at the poker table, or when Frasier moved away from Seatle to be with the woman he loved. But sadness or heartbreak usually don't bring me close to tears, no matter how sad it makes me.

Last edited by Schmiezi (January 19, 2017 8:56 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 19, 2017 8:50 pm  #8

I would agree with you on both of these...except I was 25 when I sobbed at the death of Bambi's mother!

January 19, 2017 10:57 pm  #9

Vhanja wrote:

I didn't cry, but I had eyes the size of tin plates,I hid behind my jumper, sat on the edge of my seat and had a lump in my throat throughout most of the episode. 

Yeah well, most of the time you could say that was me as well.

Only when Molly struggled to say "because it's true", Sherlock destroying the coffin and Mycroft arrenging his suit and tie and his "no flowers. My request.", I had some sobs breaking out of me and I needed two handkerchiefs for this episode.
I didn't have a tear running down my cheek, but for myself this counts as crying. Therefore I felt I had to vote yes (and not easily). ;)

And the last time crying because of a film... well actually just the week before in TLD with John crying and the hug came pretty close.
Apart from that I only remember the 2016 movie "Arrival", 2013 "About time", the very last Harry Potter movie (well it was more afterwards while going home from the cinema^^), Dances with Wolves and The Lion King...
Can't have been much more, maybe 2-3 other occasions.

Last edited by Rache (January 19, 2017 10:59 pm)

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

January 19, 2017 11:10 pm  #10

It was TLD's "I don't want to die" that's done me in.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 20, 2017 1:28 am  #11

I chose the second option.

I'm an emotional being... when I'm alone. And I watched it in my own.

My emotions were all over the place. From being scared, freaking out, overly excited, sad...

The drama hit me hard. I was very emotionally invested and once it was over I felt physically exhausted from all that I had experienced.

I watched it sitting on my bed, cuddling a blanket and a teddy (feel free to judge me) and I wonder what I looked like... at points i was crawling close to the screen (also to be sure to hear it right, with my stupid ears)... one of those points was the phone call to Molly..

My friend reacted to the very same things the other night! She almost begged me to kill the suspense a few times but my lips were sealed!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 20, 2017 4:03 am  #12

Most of my reaction was confusion, because it seemed so OOC for the show. Same for Mycroft bad-mouthing John (I was a little slow there, lol). But Molly and Sherlock, the realization of who Redbeard actually was, and the scene where John was trying to shoot Big G all had me in tears. I probably would've cried less normally, but I was streaming it on my computer in my dorm all by my lonesome with no roommate to hear me tearing up/yelling at the screen.

January 20, 2017 7:45 am  #13

I didn't cry because the plot didn't convience me. But in one scene or another I felt something in my chest. Which wasn't caused by the story, unfortunately, but by brilliant acting of Benedict and Martin.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 20, 2017 7:59 am  #14

That's reason enough!

Board footera