BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 7, 2012 3:12 pm  #1

Planning a possible Ireland trip!

Yesterday, I was musing about how I'm turning *%$# years old (a big number which ends in 5) next year and would like to do something big to celebrate. So a friend of mine and I got this crazy idea to go on a week long trip next spring, and we thought we might like to go to Dublin. Our initial thought was Dublin for St. Patrick's Day (I know, so cliche and American), but I think I want to talk him out of that as I think there are better times of the year to visit Ireland. For one, I've heard that March is quite cold and gloomy there. And St. Pat's Day is not a reason to go, in my opinion. I'd like to go in early to mid-May, but we'll just have to see what we can agree on.

I'm also thinking of proposing we go to Glasgow instead (I'd like to see where my "people" came from) but again, we'll have to see what we can agree on. I'd love to fly into London, but the vacation packages are around $600 more expensive for London than either of the cities I've mentioned previously. That trip will happen, but maybe not for another few years.

I don't know if there are any Irish or Scottish users on here, but if you can give me any advice, feedback, opinions, whatever, I'm definitely interested! Thank you.

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 7, 2012 5:17 pm  #2

Re: Planning a possible Ireland trip!

My son's got a whole batch (sorry couldn't resist) of Irish friends. He went to visit them in Waterford last year in the summer. He forgot to take a sweater or a raincoat! Not a good idea. It rains in Ireland- a lot- that's why it is the Emerald Isle. Dublin by all accounts is quite expensive. I've only visited Northern Ireland but it is a lovely place out of marching season.

I've been to Glasgow and have friends who live there. You can very easily travel to Edinburgh by train from there. When I went the kids were quite small so we visited Edinburgh Zoo. My niece was in Edinburgh for 3 years whilst training to be a doctor (the other 3 were in Manchester) so if you do decide to visit there let me know and I can get some tips from her. Likewise for Glasgow, I can ask my friends. He's an orthopaedic surgeon (always handy).

Our Scottish member who used to be very active on the forum has disappeared a while back sadly. I am sure he would have been a fount of knowledge.

Last edited by Davina (September 7, 2012 5:27 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 7, 2012 5:40 pm  #3

Thanks!

The trip itself (airfare, hotel) isn't too bad. But that's what I'm worried about: our poor dollar isn't so strong over there (or anywhere) anymore and I don't want to pay what amounts to $15 USD for a pint. At least, a friend of mine told me she paid around that in London. Whatever though; you only live once. I don't need (or particularly want) 5-star luxury. As for beer, guess we'll just have to buy it from the store and bring it back to the hotel.

Last edited by Banbha (September 7, 2012 5:40 pm)

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 7, 2012 9:41 pm  #4

Well, I'm not from Ireland, but I did live there for a good few years (up until 2010, so quite recently), so if there is anything in particular you would like to know, I'll try my best to help.
Generally, I would suggest to visit Dublin in the spring or early fall, the weather is considerably better than in the summer, brighter and drier.
Definitely don't go for Paddy's Day, the city is bursting with drunk Americans, and most of the inner city is closed off for the parade, so you wouldn't get to see much at all.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

September 8, 2012 6:59 am  #5

Very helpful. Thanks!

September 8, 2012 9:13 am  #6

I've practically just returned from a trip to Dublin. I loved it so much, I cried when I had to go back home. I just loved everything there and would go back in a heartbeat if I a) didn't have to go back to work and b) had more money.

I'd totally recommend going to Dublin!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Smart is the new sexy."
I disagree. To me, smart has *always* been sexy.

September 8, 2012 10:58 am  #7

Oh! And if you do visit Dublin you have to drink at least one Guiness and a whiskey.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 9, 2012 4:14 pm  #8

When we visited Edinburgh a few years ago, we found it easy to take a train for a day trip to Glasgow. We did sort of run to make the train back, though, because we has bought tickets to a ballet in Glasgow on whim and it got out a little late. Still, easy to make the trip and worth seeing both cities.

September 9, 2012 4:37 pm  #9

I'm pretty sure my friend wants to go to Dublin in March; not sure I can convince him to go in May as he's dead set on doing the St. Patrick's Day "thing." It's fine though. It's less expensive to go in March, and we'll be there for 10 days so there is a lot of time to do something besides be touristy on St. Patrick's Day. I assume the weather there will be a lot like the weather in Michigan in March. Well, except we still get snow at that time. I may be able to wear him down, but we do need to book soon. I don't plan on this being the last time I ever get over there, so I really am okay with either time.

Board footera