BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 17, 2017 1:46 pm  #1

Things we loved about TFP!

As it has been maybe the most divisive episode this series, I thought it would be nice to look at what we loved about it (both for the people who loved the whole episode, like me, and for the people who weren't so keen but did love some aspects).   We have the photo/gif thread too, but I'm not so au fait with gifs and so on, so thought we could have a discussion thread about it!  There are two many things for me to list that I love, including big ones like the development of Mycroft's character, and the happy and positive ending, with all our major characters ready to continue the story! 

But for now, just one minor detail that I liked: young Mycroft, Sherlock and Eurus!  They were so adorable!   They didn't have a huge amount to do acting wise, but what they did was convincing (not always the case with child actors).   Great casting. 

January 17, 2017 1:59 pm  #2

Re: Things we loved about TFP!

Sherlock. Lovable through and through.
The scene where John can´t just shoot a helpless man to the head so coldly.
Mycroft´s reactions through the same scene.
The scene where Eurus tries to encite Sherlock to shoot either Mycroft or John, to the moment when they are shot by darts.
And I also love the Molly scene - Louise and Benedict were fantastic in it.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 17, 2017 2:05 pm  #3

I loved how Mycroft was unfolded in this; as you said yourself. How we got to know more about his character... about him as a human being and not just the ice man. Getting to see some 'softer' sides to him. He suddenly became three dimensional

I loved that scene where he was watching the (faux) noir film, knowing the lines... that alone made him so human and it was sweet. 

The way Sherlock talked to Eurus at the end... kneeling down in front of her and comforted her. That was beautiful. As was their 'communication' with their violins after that. (I have to admit... I wish someone would do that for me some day) 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 17, 2017 2:12 pm  #4

Me knowing Moriarty must have been a flashback due to his iPhone headphones not being wireless

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

January 17, 2017 2:25 pm  #5

I'm very fond of the scene in 221B at the beginning of the episode with Sherlock, John and Mycroft (at least up to the point when that silly drone appears...). There is a lot going on between the three of them, and of course I love it when Sherlock basically says that John stays because he's family.  

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 17, 2017 2:25 pm  #6

I love everything about this episode apart from its plot holes. It was very emotional thru and thu.

Sherlock the pirate, swooping down like a great bat, was blink-and-you'll-miss-it but awesome.
Greg's comment about Sherlock "the good man".
The whole idea of the boys as lab rats in an emotional experiment. It's like fanfiction turned canon.
Sherlock's forgiving Eurus in the end and visiting her time after time to play together. This one's my favorite.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 17, 2017 2:44 pm  #7

- Homeless network members in action again
- Mrs. Hudson hoovering with Iron Maden
- The surprise of Greg that Sherlock knows his name and he even thanked  him.
- The scene at the graveyard  - Sherlock deciphering the song finally  which I still do not fully understand but it is not important. And John asking from the well " Is this strictly relevant? " - generally I like everything at Musgrave 
- Sherlock playing better and better, teaching Euros how to feel better and learning from her how to play better

January 17, 2017 2:47 pm  #8

m0r1arty wrote:

Me knowing Moriarty must have been a flashback due to his iPhone headphones not being wireless

-m0r

Ha ha!  I knew it had to be a flashback, but completely missed that detail! 

January 17, 2017 2:48 pm  #9

Mummy holding Mycroft's hand.  So easy to miss, and so lovely.

January 17, 2017 2:51 pm  #10

Sherlock defending Mycroft from mummy  - " He did his best,"

January 17, 2017 2:56 pm  #11

Preceja wrote:

When did we see that?

I really like how they play-acted the violin playing this time. I know that Eos substituted for Eurus in some shots but Ben was just Ben and he was very, very good.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 17, 2017 3:10 pm  #12

ewige wrote:

Preceja wrote:

When did we see that?

Clown and the girl in Mycroft's house. Sherlock said them then something like " Go to Wiggings, he will pay you by the gate and do not spend in  the first drug den . " In fact it was quite eleborate in the house, with the blood from eyes , unloaded gun and answering girl. I wondered how he had managed it but he had his own people. 

January 17, 2017 3:15 pm  #13

Sherlock's rage after Molly.  Destroying the coffin and colapsing on the floor.
John talking to him so calmly and the way Sherlock looks at him as he takes the offered hand.
"Soldiers"?  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 17, 2017 7:01 pm  #14

I've just put my finger on something else that I would like to add to the list ... the fact that everybody comes out of it so well.  After other episodes, we have had had discussions about why a particular character has behaved like a dick, or whether they're insincere, or whatever.   But this one, we end up loving all the characters.   There was no violence, and they were all really quite caring to each other.   No slapping faces, no secret filming, there wasn't even much at all in the way of put downs from anybody.   Everybody seemed to come out of it better than when they went in.  Even Eurus mellowed towards the end, a little - a first for a villain, I think! 

January 17, 2017 7:08 pm  #15

Sherlock considering John as part of the family.

The scene where Sherlock finds Eurus in her room.

Soldier!John in almost every scene.

(Great idea for a thread)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 17, 2017 7:13 pm  #16

They all seemed to get an extra dimension, didn't they? 

(I won't forgive John and his violence; especially not in TLD) But you even understood more of him... 

They all ended up a bit more round and human after this episode. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 17, 2017 7:15 pm  #17

The scene with Molly Hooper on the phone was one of the finest in the series. As to the rest of The Final Problem - rubbish.

January 17, 2017 7:31 pm  #18

-Sherlock attacking the 'I Love You' coffin after his Molly attack  (one of my all-time favorite scenes)

-Mummy Holmes and Mycroft

-violins

-Sherlock the (adult) pirate

-vacuuming

-the cadence of Sherlock's voice when speaking to the girl on the airplane

-glimpses toward the end of them all putting  221B back together,  looking toward the future

-sad and relieved that there is no cliffhanger

January 17, 2017 8:18 pm  #19

I liked TFP better on the second viewing and although there are still some things I'm not keen on there are a lot of character moments and bits that I love! Including:

The conversation at 221B at the beginning, pretty much everything but namely Mrs Hudson (when is she not amazing!), Sherlock calling John family, Mycroft's little wiggle when he repeats John's "the deduction thing" and Sherlock and Mycroft talking about Mycroft's Lady Bracknell.

Sherlock's Scottish accent.

Sherlock's small smile when Eurus says that she enjoyed making Sherlock laugh.

I want to break free!

Moriarty's hungry donkey nativity.

Sherlock very sweetly talking to the girl on the plane.

Sherlock smashing the coffin and his scream at the end, very emotional scene and I loved John helping him up afterwards.

John saying Mycroft is right and he should shoot him, Mycroft goading Sherlock into killing him and Sherlock realising exactly what he was doing. Mycroft in this scene was heartbreaking and for a moment I was worried about him "goodbye brother mine"  but I thought having Sherlock kill Mycroft would have been a bit too much. Sherlock's look to John and then threatening to kill himself.

Sherlock shouting to John when he see he's in the well and his "try as hard as possible not to drown".

Sherlock's realisation that Redbeard was not a dog, poor Sherlock 

Sherlock asking Greg to make sure Mycroft is looked after.

Sherlock defending Mycroft when his parents were having a go at him.

The whole 221B scene at the end.

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

January 17, 2017 8:37 pm  #20

Lis I also really like your list!, especially:

Lis wrote:

Sherlock and Mycroft talking about Mycroft's Lady Bracknell.

I want to break free!

Moriarty's hungry donkey nativity. 

Sherlock shouting to John when he see he's in the well and his "try as hard as possible not to drown".

Sherlock's realisation that Redbeard was not a dog, poor Sherlock

Sherlock asking Greg to make sure Mycroft is looked after.

Board footera