BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2017 3:41 pm  #1

Mycroft in TFP

Last week, I fell in love with Sherlock all over again, but this week was Mycroft's turn!  I feel as if we found out more about him in this episode than in all the other episodes put together.

I loved the glimpses of young Mycroft playing with the others.  Except he wasn't really playing with them.  He must have been about fourteen, if Sherlock was seven.   Sherlock had a friend to play with, but Mycroft didn't.  His unhinged little sister was only interested in Sherlock and his pirate games. 

And then it turns out that Sherlock was seen as the mature one, which must have been a bit of a kick in the teeth to the more intelligent Mycroft.  I'm sure I remember at Christmas in HLV, Mycroft's mother still spoke to him as if he was a child - more so than she did to Sherlock, I think.   No wonder Mycroft tends to act superior around Sherlock. 

I loved his happiness, sitting on his own, speaking along with the slightly racy lines from a noir film - shown with an old film projector. 

Mycroft being horrified by seeing somebody die violently (a normal reaction!).  Then later, trying to give up his own life.  Lestrade going to look after him at the end! 

Oh, and when they may be about to die, with the grenade at the beginning, Mycroft it so pleased to hear that Sherlock liked his Lady Bracknell!

I loved that his character got to develop in the very last episode. 

January 16, 2017 3:47 pm  #2

Re: Mycroft in TFP

Mycroft became very human in this episode. But not in a 'bad' way... he unfolded and to me it didn't make him lose anything... it added to him. 

I've been so curious about him; what made him. 

And now I do see the Christmas scenes from HLV so much differently. Thank you for pointing that out! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 16, 2017 4:12 pm  #3

Yes, what made him? It looked like he may have had a lonely childhood.  I also get a different view of him "teaching" Sherlock as a child, now that I know more of the background.  And I wonder if some of his protectiveness of Sherlock comes from "losing" his little sister (I know she was still alive, but kind of lost to him) and seeing Sherlock traumatised.  It looks as if Mycroft lied to his parents to try to be compassionate, and although Eurus was dangerous and unfeeling it looks like he had regular contact with her, and brought her treats.   He was the only family she had as an adult. 

I loved Mycroft's mother holding his hand at the end. 

January 16, 2017 5:27 pm  #4

I loved getting to see Mycroft both BAMF and human.  They gave the Ice Man incredible depth.

He carried an outrageous burden for the whole family from a very young age.  And then did everything he could to protect Sherlock while Sherlock seemed to have no regard for his own life. Heartbreaking stuff.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 16, 2017 5:32 pm  #5

Mycroft was the main plus to this episode. There are many things I didn't like but his character was great. I hope someone writes a character study on him.

January 16, 2017 5:34 pm  #6

I have been in love with Mycroft Holmes since the series began, and my love for him grew exponentially as the series progressed. The Final Problem was an absolute dream come true for me for many reasons. One of which, was the character development we got to see for Mycroft Holmes. He finally feels human.

​Just to highlight a few key Mycroft scenes from this episode:
1. It was lovely and hilarious know that he's corny at heart. Watching a racy, romantic film noir on a projector, all by himself; mouthing the lines because he's watched it so many times. Too damn cute. It's okay, Mikey. You'll get a girlfriend/wife soon enough (I hope so).

2. The childhood videos, photos and flashbacks of fat Mycroft. How adorable!

3. The grenade scene between him, Sherlock and John Watson was thrilling and absolutely hilarious at the same time. Them staying absolutely still while deciding what to do was so funny and genuine. Mycroft's references to him playing Lady Bracknell throughout the episode had me in tears laughing.

4. Mycroft disguised as the ship captain. I guess all the Holmes siblings are great at completely transforming themselves, in terms of their accents and mannerisms.

5. Mycroft's rage-fit towards the governor (incredibly hot).

6. Mycroft's general reaction towards the atrocities that Euros was committing before his very eyes. He seemed to be the most human of the 3 (him, Sherlock and John), but that's plainly because he isn't as experienced as Sherlock and John when it comes to handling such high pressure situations. Sherlock and John clearly have nerves of absolute steel; true heroes. Mycroft was visibly disturbed by what was happening to them and even gagged when the governor shot himself. This is a side of M. Holmes we haven't seen before - a very vulnerable and horrified Mycroft Holmes. Phenomenal acting from Mark's part.

7. Mycroft got owned in this episode. Whether it be by Mrs. Hudson, John, Sherlock or his parents. On numerous occasions he was put in his place. As much as I love him, he's always been proud and egotistical of his intelligence and position. He's always been praised and Sherlock has always been the one to blame. However, in this episode we finally get to see the reverse of that. Mycroft makes the mistakes and behaves irrationally. He is squeamish and unprepared. It is clear that in reality, when it comes to such high-pressure situations, Sherlock is the sensible adult - not him. He's got a lot to learn!  

8. The heartbreaking sacrifice Mycroft was prepared to make. The kindness he showed is truly incomprehensible. He wanted to make it easier for his beloved brother to kill him instead of John, so he tried to provoke him as best he could. He was so fearless in the face of death that he managed to still be witty (not in the face though, I've promised my brain to the royal society. Well, I imagine there is a heart somewhere inside me. I don't imagine it's much of a target but why don't we try for that). It was painful to hear him say "Goodbye, brother mine. No flowers. My request." I genuinely thought he was going to die. I was about to break down into tears.

9. Mama Holmes holding Mycroft's hand, as they smiled at each other towards the end in Euros's cell.

January 16, 2017 5:34 pm  #7

I have always loved Mycroft, but, in TFP, I loved him even more if it was possible. Just like Sherlock, he proved to us that he is human and has feelings behind his Ice Man armour. Best scene for me was when he tried to make Sherlock angry so he would kill him instead of John. He revealed a big heart then.

And I loved BAMF Mycroft, with his umbrella turned sword turned gun ! I litterally squealed in delight !

January 16, 2017 5:37 pm  #8

meowraahsan wrote:

I have been in love with Mycroft Holmes since the series began, and my love for him grew exponentially as the series progressed. The Final Problem was an absolute dream come true for me for many reasons. One of which, was the character development we got to see for Mycroft Holmes. He finally feels human.

1. It was lovely and hilarious know that he's corny at heart. Watching a racy, romantic film noir on a projector, all by himself; mouthing the lines because he's watched it so many times. Too damn cute. It's okay, Mikey. You'll get a girlfriend/wife soon enough (I hope so).

3. The grenade scene between him, Sherlock and John Watson was thrilling and absolutely hilarious at the same time. Them staying absolutely still while deciding what to do was so funny and genuine. Mycroft's references to him playing Lady Bracknell throughout the episode had me in tears laughing.

4. Mycroft disguised as the ship captain. I guess all the Holmes siblings are great at completely transforming themselves, in terms of their accents and mannerisms.

6. Mycroft's general reaction towards the atrocities that Euros was committing before his very eyes. He seemed to be the most human of the 3 (him, Sherlock and John), but that's plainly because he isn't as experienced as Sherlock and John when it comes to handling such high pressure situations. Sherlock and John clearly have nerves of absolute steel; true heroes. Mycroft was visibly disturbed by what was happening to them and even gagged when the governor shot himself. This is a side of M. Holmes we haven't seen before - a very vulnerable and horrified Mycroft Holmes. Phenomenal acting from Mark's part.

7. Mycroft got owned in this episode. Whether it be by Mrs. Hudson, John, Sherlock or his parents. On numerous occasions he was put in his place. As much as I love him, he's always been proud and egotistical of his intelligence and position. He's always been praised and Sherlock has always been the one to blame. However, in this episode we finally get to see the reverse of that. Mycroft makes the mistakes and behaves irrationally. He is squeamish and unprepared. It is clear that in reality, when it comes to such high-pressure situations, Sherlock is the sensible adult - not him. He's got a lot to learn!  

8. The heartbreaking sacrifice Mycroft was prepared to make. The kindness he showed is truly incomprehensible. He wanted to make it easier for his beloved brother to kill him instead of John, so he tried to provoke him as best he could. He was so fearless in the face of death that he managed to still be witty (not in the face though, I've promised my brain to the royal society. Well, I imagine there is a heart somewhere inside me. I don't imagine it's much of a target but why don't we try for that). It was painful to hear him say "Goodbye, brother mine. No flowers. My request." I genuinely thought he was going to die. I was about to break down into tears.

9. Mama Holmes holding Mycroft's hand, as they smiled at each other towards the end in Euros's cell.

YES !! YES TO EVERYTHING !! 

January 16, 2017 5:37 pm  #9

I agree with you guys, Mycroft was amazing in this episode. I've always found him a very fascinating character, and I'm so glad we got to see more of him. Loved him watching that old movie!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 16, 2017 6:04 pm  #10

He was really coloured into his full character, in this final episode.
He is no longer a cardboard cut out, but a real, emotional human...for better and worse.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 16, 2017 6:13 pm  #11

All the points above are great.  And I think the other thing is that it makes you see the Mycroft we thought we knew in a different light.  For instance, when they're at the palace and Sherlock and John are making fun of him - I wonder if that reminded Mycroft of being the bigger, awkward odd one out in his youth, while Sherlock played with Victor?

And when Mycroft susses out John in ASIP - he seems all the more protective when you realise that Sherlock was devastated by the loss of a friend as a child.  And again with Mary - whom Mycroft knows will die young and put Sherlock through a similar trauma.   "Your loss would break my heart" is said before we know that Mycroft has already essentially lost a sibling. 

January 16, 2017 6:18 pm  #12

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 16, 2017 6:24 pm  #13

Mycroft was the most relatable character for me in TFP, and I'm really glad he survived (considering there were fan theories that he would die in series 4). If they decide to continue the show at any point in the future I want to see Mycroft again. Honestly couldn't imagine the show without him.

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

January 16, 2017 6:30 pm  #14

Pops wrote:

meowraahsan wrote:

YES !! YES TO EVERYTHING !! 

i literally can't agree more, i love him so much and this episode we got to see so many new sides of him and squealed so hard whenever i saw him. Of course my friend didn't appreciate him as much as me so i'm so happy for this thread!

January 16, 2017 7:16 pm  #15

If that thread wouldn't exists already I would have opened it. SO much to say about Mycroft 

We see a different Mycroft, he is not the aloof and in control guy that we used to know (apart from some moments). The iceman facade melted. And it's lovely to see him with emotions.

All he ever did was to care about his younger sibling (sometimes misguided), one totally insane and a danger to society and then his little brother a drug addict who is quite out of control too. That's a hard task, he tried to keep it together.

A big thing for me was the scene when Sherlock handed Mycroft the gun to kill that other guy. His reaction! When he said "it's murder!" I thought yes but aren't you used to it?! But of course not, he is an office worker, he doesn't do "legwork" he never had to kill a person, if anything he always ever ordered other people to kill someone. He even had his eyes covered and looked to the wall when John pointed the gun at this guy. (and vomited when that man killed himself) so killing is very abstract to him. Like when he wanted the plane to crash in the ocean. He doesn't know these people, has and will never see them.

And then that scene when he insulted John to piss Sherlock off so that he will kill Mycroft instead of John. So wonderful and cried because I wasn't 100% sure that he wouldn't shoot him.

It was so fascinating to watch him in TFP!

I loved that he and Sherlock worked together, that Sherlock praised his Lady Bracknell performance in school. 

Honestly Mycroft needs a John, too! (there is someone who would come to my mind )

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 16, 2017 7:50 pm  #16

Ivy wrote:

Honestly Mycroft needs a John, too! (there is someone who would come to my mind )

Are you, by chance, thinking about a certain DI ? If so, he was asked by Sherlock to take care of Mycroft... 

January 16, 2017 7:56 pm  #17

Pops wrote:

Ivy wrote:

Are you, by chance, thinking about a certain DI ? If so, he was asked by Sherlock to take care of Mycroft... 

I know 

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 16, 2017 8:44 pm  #18

Yes, Mycroft is my favourite character after Sherlock and John

meowraahsan wrote:

I genuinely thought so, too!
So, as soon as the three of them were put into that maze my fear began to rise higher and higher. I was so scared one of my favs would die. And you're not really expecting it to be Sherlock or John (after all, it has ALWAYS to be the two of them ;)), so it could only be Mycroft. It was even one of my predictions that he would die ("Called it" thread) and I was sure I was seeing my fears come true.

When he insulted John I was thinking for a second: wtf, Mycroft, how can you say this?? Then I understood. Anybody else who was irritated for the blink of an eye, or did you immediately see what he did? It was the ultimate horror/agony in this episode.
(Uhm, together with the Molly scene, too.I can so relate to Molly. Because of the person I am. I share a lot with Molly.)

Last edited by Rache (January 16, 2017 8:48 pm)

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

January 16, 2017 9:45 pm  #19

Rache wrote:

Anybody else who was irritated for the blink of an eye, or did you immediately see what he did?

​I immediately understood and I thought it was so brave, so selfless... I was like "I know what you're doing Mycroft, but stop it, please!!!!"

​I think that if Sherlock really had no other choice than to shoot one of them, he would have gone for Mycroft and Mycroft knew it. (Sherlock is Mycroft's pressure point. Not the other way round) But of course, he also knew that Sherlock, despite all their bickering over the years, cares about him, and that shooting him would have been very difficult for him. That's why he used Sherlock's pressure point, John, and insulted him so that Sherlock gets pissed off and shoot him out of anger.

I've always loved Mycroft more than anyone in this show and even if I didn't think it was even possible, last night episode made me love him even more!

​I've always written fanfictions in which I showed how Mycroft cared for Sherlock, even on his death bed for one of them. And I have one on my laptop which I have never completed (i think it's from 2014) in which CAM couldn't decide who Sherlock's point of pressure was between John and Mycroft, so he had put John in danger (bonfire, just like in TEH) and at the very same time, he had used Mycroft's greatest fear --apart from losing Sherlock, that's it-- (I had imagined he was afraid of heights) and had made him stand at the edge of St Bart's rooftop and Mycroft was terrified and couldn't move. And he knew that Sherlock would rescue John first.

​Well, anyway, all that to say I was "glad" to see one of Mycroft's fears in TFP (the clown)

​I really love the whole scene btw. You see that his logical mind is trying to tell himself not to panic, but he finally loses it.

​I found it touching how he asks John "Dr Watson, why would he do that that to me? That was insane!"

​Then I won't repeat everything that's already been said here, but yes, that episode makes him more human (not that I've ever doubted that, yes, he has a heart somewhere Inside him)

But i also felt so bad for him during the whole episode!

​It's like we see all his weaknesses in a nutshell. Like the carapace he had built himself suddenly cracks and breaks, and he is "naked", vulnerable, and can't protect himself anymore from the others. John mocks him ("If there's a queue, join it", "You might want to close that window, there's an east wind coming"), Mrs Hudson ("the kettle's over there"), Mummy is very harsh to him... Awwww... Poor Mycroft!

​But I think he will emerge even greater from this.

​Well I seriously could go on and on about him, but i'd better stop here

Just like old times...

January 16, 2017 9:58 pm  #20

So do you think Sherlock knew clowns was a fear of his brothers? (if it is a fear of Mycroft's)

Also anyone else notice his thumb bleeding at the end of being scared by his brother? What was the cause?

Board footera