BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2017 6:32 am  #1

Thoughts on Eurus and Moriarty?

It seems that Euros' psychosis is a manifestation of her loneliness and inability to comprehend human emotions. She recalls that in her childhood, she loved to make Sherlock laugh but in reality he was screaming. Contrast this with her drawing pictures of Sherlock's gravestone and killing his best friend because she wanted someone to play with her.

Every aspect of her character is a duality. She clearly feels attached to Sherlock, but at the same time has to get the guards to restrain her from seriously injuring him. We can see all of this culminating in her recurring feeling that she's all alone on a plane that is crashing and no one is there to help her - this is probably a perfect metaphor for how she feels her life is, especially in Sherrinford. It's ironic that even with her supernatural intellect, she falls victim to human emotions of belonging, and responds almost tearfully to a hug from Sherlock letting her know that he's there for her.

We're also never told details about what the relationship between Eurus and Moriarty was. It didn't seem like Eurus manipulated Moriarty at all - he just seemed content knowing that Sherlock was going to be mentally tortured by Eurus and would mostly likely kill Mycroft. Moreover, Moriarty seemed to already know about Redbeard almost as if he had discussed it more with Eurus earlier. Maybe it was just a metaphorical representation of what their actual conversation was - Eurus must have showed him that she can use Sherlock's overridden memory of Redbeard to cause the Holmes brothers incredible pain, so the word Redbeard was just symbolic in that conversation.

I came across more analysis here: https://goo.gl/aFjhHE. It has a bunch of enthusiasts curating all the best theories, episode discussions, etc. about Sherlock in one place.

January 16, 2017 8:26 am  #2

Re: Thoughts on Eurus and Moriarty?

My theory is that Eurus actually manipulated Moriarty to

a) send her those creepy videos and

b) eventually shoot himself and let Sherlock get away. Because I don't think Eurus wanted Moriarty to kill Sherlock, she wanted to play her own mind games with him. She had heard that Moriarty had set his mind on bringing Sherlock down and thus made sure that he didn't succeed.

January 16, 2017 7:26 pm  #3

Re: Thoughts on Eurus and Moriarty?

I don't think Eurus manipulated Moriarty.

If you look closely at flashback scenes from Christmas 5 years earlier it is clear from conversation between Moriarty & Mycroft that they already know each other and in fact Moriarty says" are you planning to arrest me again". This indicates that this must take place after episode 2.2 but before 2.3 Reichenbach as if you remember we see at end of episode 2 that Moriarty is imprisoned by Mycroft Homes.

Also we know that Mycroft revealed certain little clues about Sherlock to Moriarty in order for Moriarty to trade some information about some of his criminal empire back in 2nd series and I have to assume he mentioned Redbeard because why else would Moriarty's eyes have lit up when Eurus in reply to Moriarty's question "what's in this for me" says "Redbeard" so it must already have meaning to him.

I think that the two of them collaborated on everything we have seen from Reichenbach right up until now and as she said last night Moriarty's final plan was to use Eurus as his instrument of revenge from beyond the grave.

Board footera