BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 15, 2017 11:38 pm  #81

Re: The Final Problem: First impressions

Time went so fast! 

Okay... I'm off... my sleepy pills are kicking in... and I know I need a rewatch before I can go into any more details!

See you in the morning! 

Also... I LOVED Hudder's music taste! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 15, 2017 11:39 pm  #82

Well. First impressions are it was a blatant rip off of several of my favourite horror films. As a Halloween special for laughs , it would of been brilliant fun! As a season finale and maybe ending , just did not work. Too many loose threads Mycroft!
#wearefamily  and #parentlock  but meh.
A super secret hidden and forgotten sister child used as a deuce ex machina to not explain previous inconsistencies that may have been explained but we are probably too stupid to understand 
It was entertaining , but I am dissapointed.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 15, 2017 11:39 pm  #83

Vhanja wrote:

Oh, thanks for that article - even better. It showed Sherlock what an amazing brain without heart or emotions really ends up at. 

I have to say I was completely engulfed in the story. I was shocked when I looked at the clock and saw that the episode was almost over, I had no idea where the time had gone. 

Edit: Oh, and Mrs Hudson listening to Iron Maiden! I will love it to the end of my days!

You are welcome I hope that means something...

Haha yeah had the same thing with the clock xD 

January 15, 2017 11:41 pm  #84

I'm still in a state of shock.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 15, 2017 11:41 pm  #85

Oh, and Sherlock declaring himself a pirate - just gold!

I am starting to understand "insane wish-fulfilment" They just put every possible fanboy reference and intense stuff into this season and the finale in particular. Love it!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 15, 2017 11:43 pm  #86

Mothonthemantel wrote:

A super secret hidden and forgotten sister child used as a deuce ex machina to not explain previous inconsistencies that may have been explained but we are probably too stupid to understand

I loved all the interactions between Mycroft, John and Sherlock, but I agree, Euros was beyond annoying.
They could also bury Moriarty finally, he is just not interesting anymore.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 15, 2017 11:44 pm  #87

WhoIWantToBe wrote:

^ yup, I am in agreement Swanpride and ewige.

Liberty wrote:

Irene - for me it was because of what Eurus said - about you don't understand Bach - "play you".  And apparently you/Sherlock is romantic yearning.   And I'm glad that's just as far as it went.   But I like the idea of Sherlock having those romantic feelings and secretly seeing them as what he is. 

"No, not Bach you clearly don't understand it play you"
"Me?"
"You."
*two notes played*
"Ooh, have you had sex?"
"Why do you ask?"
"The music. *I've* had sex."
"Oh."
"One of the nurses got careless I liked it it was messy people are so breakable."
"I take it he didn't consent."
"He?!"
"She?"
"''Fraid I didn't notice in the heat of the moment and afterwards, well. You couldn't really tell. Is that vibrato or is your hand shaking?"

Jesus. 

I tried to answer this and my post went into the ether, but of course the "two notes" were Irene's theme!  I know it's not that obvious, especially if people haven't heard it since 2012!  Funny that Eurus gets it right away.

Yes, Eurus was creepy in that scene - very Silence of the Lambs. 

January 15, 2017 11:44 pm  #88

nakahara wrote:

Whisky wrote:

Preceja wrote:

It is a show, but Sherrinford...... perfectly sane person would desire to kill after being locked at something like that for years. And even quite normal child grow into a monster.

I also wondered. Cleverness can be a challenge, but locking someone up in this thing... who wouldn't become insane. Also there were reasons why Eurus became that way. Apparently she was just a little girl which didn't get the attention she would have liked, and who didn't know what to do with her skills and abilities. Poor girl.

Well, after it was revealed that she drowned the little boy in the well before she was locked in an institution, my sympathy for her went into zero. (Also, after it was revealed that she killed the psychologist in TLD).

Yes, of course. Better phrased: she could have been someone else, maybe. About the loss of the chance of being someone else, someone healthy and happy, I can easily feel sorry.

"It is what it is."

January 15, 2017 11:45 pm  #89

Swanpride wrote:

(this refers to the article which was linked in the other discussion)

Well, so much for there not being a series 5...

I don't think that the whole "only brain" thing makes any sense in the context of the story they represented, because Euros was pure emotion. She killed the little boy because, well, basically because she was jealous. She was obsessed with Sherlock out of a mixture of anger and the desire for love...her whole motivation is pure emotion.  

Good point.  And I think Sherlock understands that at the end.

January 15, 2017 11:47 pm  #90

I will admit I'm not a fan of Sian Brooke... the character was interestingly written

Okay... I'm signing off now... *fights to keep her eyes open*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 15, 2017 11:50 pm  #91

Punch me in the face wrote:

Liberty wrote:

Punch me in the face wrote:

​First thing that crosses my mind right now is that I am in Mycroft's Heaven! He's always been my favourite character and he was wonderful in that episode! I could write a whole essay! But not right now! When he started provoking Sherlock and saying all those bads things about John, I was sure he was only doing that to make Sherlock shoot him. That was so terribly touching! Of course, you have a heart underneath all that, Mycroft!

And he showed it more than once! (he was disgusted by all those killings. When he's not supposed to do sentiments!)

​And Sherlock who'd rather kill himself than kill his brother...

​That episode was brotherly love at its best! I LOVED ALL OF IT!!! And I love Mycroft even more than I've ever had!!!

​(I felt bad when Mummy Holmes was --understandably-- mad at Mycroft, but at the end, I think I saw her put her hand on his lap??? )

I loved that last little bit! It looked to me as if she reached over to hold his hand!  After we'd found that it was Sherlock who was always the grown-up. 

​Yes! (and it's even better if she was reaching for his hand. I felt so bad for him. All he's ever done, or at least, tried to do, is to protect Sherlock --and by extension, other people too concerning Eurus, as she was a danger for anyone-- He's always tried his best.) And Sherlock the grown-up. Who would have thought? ​ Coud this have something to do with the "I upset her? it wasn't me that upset her, Mycroft!" ?

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about that line!  And I watched again, and she definitely holds his hand.  So sweet!

I'd wondered if Mycroft was going to be a baddie in this episode, and I'm so glad he wasn't.  I loved seeing his softer side.  As you say, his motivation, his pressure point, is protecting his little brother.   And of course, he kind of protects his sister too, or tries to (although maybe a bad decision to use her intellect - still, I suppose it saved lives).   This was really Mycroft's episode. 

January 15, 2017 11:50 pm  #92

Liberty wrote:

I tried to answer this and my post went into the ether, but of course the "two notes" were Irene's theme!  I know it's not that obvious, especially if people haven't heard it since 2012!  Funny that Eurus gets it right away.

Ha! I have the Irene Theme playing on repeat in my car all the time, I've recognized it immediately too!
And I too thought about SoL *creepy* but I thought that scene - no glass! - was perfectly written and executed!

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 15, 2017 11:54 pm  #93

ewige wrote:

Liberty wrote:

Ha! I have the Irene Theme playing on repeat in my car all the time, I've recognized it immediately too!
And I too thought about SoL *creepy* but I thought that scene - no glass! - was perfectly written and executed!

I guessed that there was no glass!  Yes, it was brilliant.  I loved Sian in this episode - my only complaint would be that I loved her other personas in the previous episodes and would like to have seen more of that - so clever!   And I'd like to have seen her verbally manipulating people more (rather than just "I'll kill x unless you do y").  I got very excited about that, and it didn't quite pay off in the way I hoped. 

January 15, 2017 11:57 pm  #94

Liberty wrote:

Oh, I did understand that, I should clarify my reaction was more horror about a conversation (See the dialogue I quoted) where it is rather explicitly stated she raped a nurse but considered it 'sex'. She either couldn't remember the gender of the nurse or whether they consented, in the context of that dialogue. It was hair raising, and then her question about whether his hand was shaking. 

No really I am trying to understand why the writer's felt the need to write this in. 

January 16, 2017 12:01 am  #95

I will leave my dissecting until later, But if this is the end, it ended as I always hoped it would.

Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson in 221B Baker Street, solving crimes.

What more can I ask for?

Last edited by Lola Red (January 16, 2017 12:01 am)

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 16, 2017 12:01 am  #96

Gah, I'm tempted to log off Tumblr for good. The negativity over there is just too much.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 16, 2017 12:01 am  #97

Liberty wrote:

ewige wrote:

Liberty wrote:

I guessed that there was no glass!  Yes, it was brilliant.  I loved Sian in this episode - my only complaint would be that I loved her other personas in the previous episodes and would like to have seen more of that - so clever!   And I'd like to have seen her verbally manipulating people more (rather than just "I'll kill x unless you do y").  I got very excited about that, and it didn't quite pay off in the way I hoped. 

I think Eurus knew that she couldn't mind control Sherlock & Mycroft in the same way she could ordinary people.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 16, 2017 12:04 am  #98

Yes, I suppose two of the very few people who were anywhere near her intellectual ability! 

January 16, 2017 12:07 am  #99

WhoIWantToBe wrote:

Liberty wrote:

Oh, I did understand that, I should clarify my reaction was more horror about a conversation (See the dialogue I quoted) where it is rather explicitly stated she raped a nurse but considered it 'sex'. She either couldn't remember the gender of the nurse or whether they consented, in the context of that dialogue. It was hair raising, and then her question about whether his hand was shaking. 

No really I am trying to understand why the writer's felt the need to write this in. 

I think maybe two things - showing that what Sherlock is, how he sees himself, is romantic yearning.  And also that Eurus is the complete opposite of that, and to show just how unhinged and dangerous she is. 

January 16, 2017 12:12 am  #100

Wow, what a ride this episode took me on! I will have to sleep over it and then watch it again before commenting more on it, but I loved almost all of it. I think after this episode Mycroft definitly made it to the top of my favourites list. 

Board footera