BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 15, 2017 11:19 pm  #61

Re: The Final Problem: First impressions

Vhanja wrote:

Ivy wrote:

When they played "I want to break free" by Queen I though "oh wow now they've lost it." but it was nice to see Andrew.

I LOVED it! Moriarty has always been over the top, it couldn't have fitted any better!

I had the same thought; or more correctly "WHAT... WHAT... HOW... WHAAAAT???"

Until they put the '5 years earlier' thing... then it made sense, lol!

It was AWESOME to see more Moriarty! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 15, 2017 11:19 pm  #62

Vhanja wrote:

I'm the kind of person who, when I first really fall in love with something and become a huge fan of it, I am very loyal. I don't have too many preconceived notions of where I want the show/series/books to go, because I know that the chance of the writers happen to write what I have in my head is extremly slim (that's what I have fanfics for!)

So instead, I am on board with their ride, wherever that takes me. No, it's not what I expected. But that was awesome too - seeing them in a situation I never, ever thought I would see.

Yes, it would've been great if there were more breathing room and more of the "old days". But if I that is what I want to see, I can go back and rewatch S1 and s2.

I think this is what keeps Ben and Martin coming back - the fact that it's NOT the same. If the seasons kept being "case of the week" and banter at 221b over and over, they would probably both grow tired and leave the show. 

This is Moftiss' vision. It's not ACD canon. I don't need that - I have ACD books for that. It's not ACD canon on screen - I have Brett for that. This is a thing of it's own, and I love it.

I agree with this, Vhanja.  I like that it's different. And in this series, every episode has felt different.  And I thought it was very well done.  I'm not a big fan of the "I kill because I'm insane" thing, but Sian was so good, and Sherlock came through in the end - they all came out of it well, I thought (Mycroft included - he's not the bravest, but was trying to give up his life to save others) - it warmed my heart!  Actually such a warm, kind of loving episode for such a dark-themed one.

January 15, 2017 11:20 pm  #63

I wonder if all those hints are just to satisfy us in some way or if they tell us that theres going to be more...+

For those who havent seen it already: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-01-15/mark-gatiss-and-steven-moffat-reveal-where-sherlock-could-go-in-series-5

Last edited by Dumai (January 15, 2017 11:20 pm)

January 15, 2017 11:20 pm  #64

The connection was really awful this time. Did they have a post-credits tag? I didn't see any.

Last edited by ewige (January 15, 2017 11:20 pm)

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 15, 2017 11:21 pm  #65

Whisky wrote:

Well, I will confess I chatted with friends while watching. While watching for the first time! I have never done this before during a Sherlock episode, and it was simply because I was bored. There were scenes that caught my attention, but my problem was: I don't like horror. Also, I like diversity in locations, and being stuck in that place for the most part of the episode wasn't really my cup of tea. Then, it all felt surreal, too much, and predictable. I enjoyed the nods to canon. Ah, and I liked seeing Molly. I didn't understand where the episode took off. So, what about John, Eurus, the gun? And Sherlock's reaction to having a sister? Didn't convince me at all. I don't know. I'm sad.

Totally agree with that, 

Did anyone understand how Eurus get out of there? I mean it was her in TST and TLD? I'm still confused about that.

Loved that there are weapons in Mycroft umbrella, that explains a lot. His costume when they went to Sherrinford.

Did anyone else thought at first that it would be Mrs Hudson who is sitting in that chair (governors (?) wife)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 15, 2017 11:21 pm  #66

Preceja wrote:

It is a show, but Sherrinford...... perfectly sane person would desire to kill after being locked at something like that for years. And even quite normal child grow into a monster.

I also wondered. Cleverness can be a challenge, but locking someone up in this thing... who wouldn't become insane. Also there were reasons why Eurus became that way. Apparently she was just a little girl which didn't get the attention she would have liked, and who didn't know what to do with her skills and abilities. Poor girl.

"It is what it is."

January 15, 2017 11:21 pm  #67

Vhanja wrote:

My connection died on me in the middle of the Molly scene, I didn't get to see how that panned out. Can't wait to see it tomorrow in it's entirety!

But what on earth does Mofitss have against Molly? Poor thing this season!

​Yes. If it really was the very last episode, then she deserved much better. Well, Sherlock obviously cares for her. He completely lost it after that scene, but still, it was painful to watch... I feel like she's always "used". "Used" to help Sherlock fake his suicide, used to look after Rosie, used to check on Sherlock's addiction etc... so she deserved Something better than a fake declaration. Yes, I know it was the only way to save her, but that was quite horrible...

Just like old times...

January 15, 2017 11:22 pm  #68

I can't really say a lot right now... But i agree with Tinks, the finale also seemed to me like it was full of holes. So i feel kind of... disappointed.

January 15, 2017 11:23 pm  #69

I too actually couldn't believe they were still at it 60 minutes into the ep.

-----

January 15, 2017 11:26 pm  #70

^ yup, I am in agreement Swanpride and ewige.

Liberty wrote:

Irene - for me it was because of what Eurus said - about you don't understand Bach - "play you".  And apparently you/Sherlock is romantic yearning.   And I'm glad that's just as far as it went.   But I like the idea of Sherlock having those romantic feelings and secretly seeing them as what he is. 

"No, not Bach you clearly don't understand it play you"
"Me?"
"You."
*two notes played*
"Ooh, have you had sex?"
"Why do you ask?"
"The music. *I've* had sex."
"Oh."
"One of the nurses got careless I liked it it was messy people are so breakable."
"I take it he didn't consent."
"He?!"
"She?"
"''Fraid I didn't notice in the heat of the moment and afterwards, well. You couldn't really tell. Is that vibrato or is your hand shaking?"

Jesus. 

January 15, 2017 11:29 pm  #71

That was indeed strange haha

January 15, 2017 11:30 pm  #72

Oh, thanks for that article - even better. It showed Sherlock what an amazing brain without heart or emotions really ends up at. 

I have to say I was completely engulfed in the story. I was shocked when I looked at the clock and saw that the episode was almost over, I had no idea where the time had gone. 

Edit: Oh, and Mrs Hudson listening to Iron Maiden! I will love it to the end of my days!

Last edited by Vhanja (January 15, 2017 11:31 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 15, 2017 11:32 pm  #73

Vhanja wrote:

I have to say I was completely engulfed in the story. I was shocked when I looked at the clock and saw that the episode was almost over, I had no idea where the time had gone. 

​Same here! First time I looked at the clock, it was 23h10 french time (10.10pm) and I freaked out like "What? Only twenty minutes left??!!"

Last edited by Punch me in the face (January 15, 2017 11:39 pm)

Just like old times...

January 15, 2017 11:33 pm  #74

Whisky wrote:

Preceja wrote:

It is a show, but Sherrinford...... perfectly sane person would desire to kill after being locked at something like that for years. And even quite normal child grow into a monster.

I also wondered. Cleverness can be a challenge, but locking someone up in this thing... who wouldn't become insane. Also there were reasons why Eurus became that way. Apparently she was just a little girl which didn't get the attention she would have liked, and who didn't know what to do with her skills and abilities. Poor girl.

Well, after it was revealed that she drowned the little boy in the well before she was locked in an institution, my sympathy for her went into zero. (Also, after it was revealed that she killed the psychologist in TLD).

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 15, 2017 11:33 pm  #75

Punch me in the face wrote:

​First thing that crosses my mind right now is that I am in Mycroft's Heaven! He's always been my favourite character and he was wonderful in that episode! I could write a whole essay! But not right now! When he started provoking Sherlock and saying all those bads things about John, I was sure he was only doing that to make Sherlock shoot him. That was so terribly touching! Of course, you have a heart underneath all that, Mycroft!

And he showed it more than once! (he was disgusted by all those killings. When he's not supposed to do sentiments!)

​And Sherlock who'd rather kill himself than kill his brother...

​That episode was brotherly love at its best! I LOVED ALL OF IT!!! And I love Mycroft even more than I've ever had!!!

​(I felt bad when Mummy Holmes was --understandably-- mad at Mycroft, but at the end, I think I saw her put her hand on his lap??? )

I loved that last little bit! It looked to me as if she reached over to hold his hand!  After we'd found that it was Sherlock who was always the grown-up. 

January 15, 2017 11:34 pm  #76

Vhanja wrote:

​Same here! First time I look at the clock, it was 23h10 french time (10.10pm) and I freaked out like "What? Only twenty minutes left??!!"

When I looked at the time it was 23:24 (Norwegian time), and I was - omg, only 6 minutes left! 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 15, 2017 11:35 pm  #77

Vhanja wrote:

​Same here! First time I look at the clock, it was 23h10 french time (10.10pm) and I freaked out like "What? Only twenty minutes left??!!"

Yes! It went really quickly for me too!  It felt really fresh and new, so different to the previous episodes, but the same characters, and I feel that we did find out more about the characters too.

January 15, 2017 11:35 pm  #78

Vhanja wrote:

Same here, but bc I thought, When are you going to get to the important stuff?
I get it that we were shown a case study in Sherlock, but I probably need to watch it again to fully appreciate.

-----

January 15, 2017 11:37 pm  #79

Haha, I have a Tumblr account just so that I can follow Sherlock/Johnlock stuff, I more or less never post anything.

Tired of all the negativity towards the episode I wrote a post saying I loved the episode - I now got about 50 likes, 2-3 reblogs and 3 new followers! 

Team Hudders!

January 15, 2017 11:38 pm  #80

Liberty wrote:

​First thing that crosses my mind right now is that I am in Mycroft's Heaven! He's always been my favourite character and he was wonderful in that episode! I could write a whole essay! But not right now! When he started provoking Sherlock and saying all those bads things about John, I was sure he was only doing that to make Sherlock shoot him. That was so terribly touching! Of course, you have a heart underneath all that, Mycroft!

And he showed it more than once! (he was disgusted by all those killings. When he's not supposed to do sentiments!)

​And Sherlock who'd rather kill himself than kill his brother...

​That episode was brotherly love at its best! I LOVED ALL OF IT!!! And I love Mycroft even more than I've ever had!!!

​(I felt bad when Mummy Holmes was --understandably-- mad at Mycroft, but at the end, I think I saw her put her hand on his lap??? )

I loved that last little bit! It looked to me as if she reached over to hold his hand!  After we'd found that it was Sherlock who was always the grown-up. 

​Yes! (and it's even better if she was reaching for his hand. I felt so bad for him. All he's ever done, or at least, tried to do, is to protect Sherlock --and by extension, other people too concerning Eurus, as she was a danger for anyone-- He's always tried his best.) And Sherlock the grown-up. Who would have thought? ​ Coud this have something to do with the "I upset her? it wasn't me that upset her, Mycroft!" ?

Just like old times...

Board footera