BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 1, 2012 4:48 pm  #141

Re: Parade's End

She's not their housekeeper. 

It's funny how this PE thread has developed into a cooking/chemistry lesson. 

Last edited by SusiGo (September 1, 2012 4:52 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 1, 2012 5:00 pm  #142

Benedict Cumberbatch series 'Parade's End' sheds nearly 1m on BBC Two

I'm surprised the second episode had that much of a drop-off from last week's audience!  Wonder why?  I thought it was lovely and was glad that we got to see Sylvia in a more sympathetic light.

I'm looking forward to the war scenes next week--I admit in the books a few of these made my eyes glaze over a bit.  I think the main issue for me was just that I'm not that familiar with British WWI trench warfare operations and I was anxious to get back to the love triangle storylines!

Last edited by ElleSeven (September 1, 2012 5:01 pm)

September 2, 2012 6:21 pm  #143

Not sure if this has already been posted but here goes anyway. This article includes an interview with Benedict about an incident whilst filming where a stunt went a little awry with painful results. (I don't think Jim Moriarty was to blame though).

www.nowmagazine.co.uk/tv-news/538433/benedict-cumberbatch-engulfed-in-flames-when-stunt-went-wrong-on-new-bbc-drama-parade-s-end

Last edited by Davina (September 2, 2012 6:22 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 2, 2012 6:49 pm  #144

Oh no, it has lost so many viewers?   I really liked the second episode, I even had subtitles on hand so that helped a lot. 
Though Benedict's beautiful face is very distracting... even with those things in his cheeks. It always makes him look kinda... sulky?
Also I'm kind of in love with his blonde hair now. I never liked it before and I still think that it looks a bit fake, but... 

Oh, and - NOOOO, Chrissie, don't go to war! ;__; Why would you do that?!

I don't know if the articles been posted here before, Davina, but I know it from somwhere. It scared me a lot, to be honest. They better be more careful with our Batch 

September 2, 2012 7:02 pm  #145

That will be the 1 million who went out at the end of the month on payday. A Friday night is a funny evening to have it really. Last weekend was a Bank Holiday Weekend so maybe more people stayed in Friday night because they could go out on Saturday and Sunday without work on the Monday. I don't know really. Perhaps it required too much work from them!

Arggh! I think I know why! The UEFA Super Cup with Chelsea and Atletico Madrid  was on until 10.10 on ITV. Celebrity Big Brother was on with a live eviction on Channel 5. The Paralympic Games were on Channel 4. The comedy In With The Flynns was on BBC1. I think the sport has done for it last Friday guys.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 2, 2012 7:21 pm  #146

Sammy, I fear he's such a stickler for honour and principles that he cannot bear the hypocrisy of the politicians around him. The only other way for a man like him is going to the front. 

So filming was nearly as dangerous as the real thing. He surely likes his dangerous hobbies but this sounds quite scary. Imagine they'd really blown up their star.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 2, 2012 8:04 pm  #147

Ah, Davina, that might be an explanation. I hope the next episodes will have some more viewers again. I heard that the production was really expensive, would be a shame if it didn't pay off.

Yes, I'm afraid so. It still surprised me a lot when he just resigned like this! Though I think he would be of more use if he didn't go to the front, he is such a clever man. (Which reminds me a lot of Sherlock)

September 3, 2012 1:50 pm  #148

Confession time - I haven't watched any of Parade's End (ducks to avoid thrown cushions etc from you guys). It hasn't been on Aussie TV yet and probably won't be until next year. I know I can watch it online but I have a very limited download allowance and can't financially afford to upgrade it. In fact, sometimes it is touch and go as to whether I can even afford to a basic plan to send emails and take part in this forum. Ah, the joys of being unemployed. But that is beside the point.I am going to try to get the DVD when it is released, maybe put it on my birthday or Christmas list.

I have been reading all the spoilers here and on the review thread. It sounds like a brilliant show, just the sort of thing I like. I enjoy period drama like Downton Abbey (well, at least the first series, I am in agreement with Benny about the 2nd series), The Forsyte Saga, Upstairs Downstairs, various Jane Austen and Charles Dickens series (Gillian Anderson in Bleak House, absolutely brilliant). Spoilers have never been a problem for me. I have even been known to  read the end of crime and mystery books to see whodunit. Sometimes it's the process rather than the solution that is the attraction.

Anyway, keep on enjoying the show and posting your views and opinions, and I'll keep reading them 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

September 3, 2012 2:12 pm  #149

No need to confess, that sounds so serious. We're not in the Catholic church, are we? But I'm sorry to hear about your unemployment. I hope things will look better soon. And it's not so long until Christmas, PE seems to be a present to look forward to. 

September 3, 2012 2:24 pm  #150

Actually, Susi, I was raised as a Catholic, so confession is second nature to me  . Being out of work sucks from a financial point of view, but it does mean I have plenty of time for this site, trawling the interweb looking for pics of Benny, posting on Pinterest (under Helen Frances if anyone wants to have a squiz), reading fanfic, reading my Kindle, etc. Hey, maybe I don't have time for a job, anyway! I have been sending out my resume, something will turn up eventually. Unemployment here is only about 5%, so I am in a better position that a lot of people around the world. Thanks for your good wishes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

September 3, 2012 2:28 pm  #151

I was a Catholic until last year when I left church. But I remember how I hated confession as a child because I kept trying to find bad sins to confess but came up with nothing worse than quarrelling with by brother. 

September 8, 2012 1:30 am  #152

What did everyone who got to watch Part 3 think of it?  Having read the book I knew what was in store, but that didn't help with all the frustration I felt!  Benedict's acting continues to shine, though.  He says so much with just an averting of his eyes.

This will definitely be one of those BBC miniseries that I come back to time after time--I can't count the number of times I've watched Pride & Prejudice (the Colin Firth/Jennifer Ehle one)!

September 8, 2012 10:47 am  #153

Some random thoughts: I just watched the first half and liked it very much. I understood quite a lot but then I read the book so maybe else I would have problems with the intricate relationships between the characters. I loved Benedict's acting, as you said he can convey so much with the smallest gestures or movements of his face. The scene with the teacup shaking in his hand was very good. And I had this scary feeling that there's a net tightening around him when his own father and brother make Ruggles spy on him and spread evil rumours. Cute scene with Valentine in the outside toilet looking through the heart-shaped window.
It was the first time I watched one episode half an hour without interruption and I'm really happy with it. 

September 8, 2012 12:30 pm  #154

I've loved every episode so far. Other than Sherlock, I can't think of anything I have enjoyed more in recent years. All 3 main characters are superbly written and played. I have a 4 book queue at the moment, so I knew I wouldn't have time to read the books before the series aired so I decided to leave them completely for the moment and watch from a POV of complete ignorance. I have also watched the first 2 episodes on iplayer to catch anything I may have missed on first viewing.

Perhaps I have understood this incorrectly, but I had the impression that Christopher's father had died accidentally as a result of the firearm going off when he crawled under a bush to retrieve a rabbit leaving the safety catch thingy off. In fact (this is something I want to look for when I watch it again) didn't one of the characters refer to this in the following conversation. Yet, in the reviews I have read it is referred to as his father's suicide. One reviewer seems to have read the bboks* so I can only assume that it is me that is wrong.

* Incoherence due to Benedict Cumberbatch's voice suddenly wafting across the room unexpectedly. A HISCOX insurance advert during a break in the paralympic coverage

September 8, 2012 2:51 pm  #155

Now I finished the episode and loved it very much. The settings and costumes are so beautiful without drowning the characters and the story in sheer opulence. The scenes with Christopher were quite heart-wrenching.

The death of Christopher's father remains a bit ambiguous in the novels. The characters as well as the readers assume for a quite long time that he's killed himself as being an experienced hunter he wouldn't have left the safety catch off. Towards the end of the book Mark Tietjens is shown thinking about his father's death and coming up with another explanation, the one with the wounded rabbit we're shown in the third episode. It's a bit different in the film because Tom Stoppard has turned some events into scenes which are only narrated or hinted at in the book. It is quite typical for FMF's style that many things remain a bit vague and open to interpretation.

September 8, 2012 4:13 pm  #156

Ahhh thank you. At least now I know I wasn't just making it up as I went along. I'll still watch it again though, too good not to.

September 8, 2012 11:59 pm  #157

Can we just take a moment to reflect how awesome Benedict's acting was in this episode? Yes? 'Cause it was amazing.
It's crazy how he just completely transforms into Christopher, I don't even see Benedict anymore when I look at him...

I enjoyed this episode very much, I think it was the best one so far. I got kinda used to the style but... the time jumps still confuse me. :D
I'm looking forward to the war scenes we will see in the next episode, was surprised that we didn't actually see anything in this one.

The relationship between Chris and Valentine is a bit odd, though. It might be easier to understand if you've read the book... but to me it seems very weird that they're just kinda... "in love" for like 5 years even though they've just meet very few times.
Is it correct to understand the phrase "Will you be my mistress tonight?" as an invitation to sex, or does it also include emotional bonding or whatever? 

Also... did I mention that I love the blonde hair? Because I really do. 

September 9, 2012 8:09 am  #158

Yes, he's really stunning but I'm repeating myself. 

The relationship between Christopher and Valentine is just like that - full of deep emotion but unfulfilled so far. When I read the book I couldn't believe what happened when they finally fixed their date for the evening and she prepared her house and then her brother and his friends marched in and spoilt everything. I was really quite angry with the author thinking the poor guy has to go to France tomorrow and they finally came round to expressing their feelings and then you destroy everything. I love books that make me feel such empathy with the characters.

As for the words: I think it was an invitation to have sex with him but it implied much more. They always skirt around the word "love" and say other things instead. Moreoever, he isn't very experienced with women and I suppose so far he hasn't felt real love so he's a bit at a loss about it. Here's a quote from about that part of the book:

"She loved him, he knew, with a deep, an unshakable passion, just as his passion for her was a devouring element that covered his whole mind as the atmosphere envelopes the earth." 

Wonderful episode.

Last edited by SusiGo (September 9, 2012 8:25 am)

September 10, 2012 11:32 am  #159

I really loved this episode. It dealt in particular with hypocrisy. Also I feel to a certain extent the men who are being sent white feathers (I.e. being accused of cowardice) are pleased to have an opportunity to impugne Christopher because he is fighting for King and Country. One of the other themes is that of people not actually talking face-to-face with each other about issues. Christopher's father and brother are classic examples of this.

Regarding his father's death I think it makes it really quite clear that it was suicide. The conversation in which the end brother says regarding the inquest finding it to be an accident is a nod to those in charge of the inquest not to find it as suicide. His father had every motive for wishing to kill himself. As far as he was concerned his estate was going to be inherited by Celia's bastard (using the terminology of the time). All the accusations against Christopher and Celia (including her friendship with 'the enemy' and her priest being arrested for treason) are too much for his father to bear. The removal of the pipes from the old tree was very symbolic.

I liked the use of the true northern term 'brass' for money in the scene with Christopher and his brother. Ironic that his brother has a Catholic mistress who he will not (cannot) marry.

This episode shows a realisation by Christopher that the world has changed and changing and that living by outmoded rules (his words) can make a man look a fool. This change of attitude on his part is shown by his acceptance of his feelings for Valentine and his proposition to her. His proposition is not just sexual in meaning but also suggests a more formal 'arrangement'. He is about to go back to the front again, this time knowing all about the realities of what that means, and he is simply not prepaid to wait because they both know he might die. Clearly his brother approves of the relationship between the two.

As to their being in love for 5 years, despite barely having ever met, this is clarified in the scene between Valentine and Christopher where it is explained that from the very first instance they set eyes on each other they fell in love ( love at first sight). It was his 'parade' that up until this point had kept them apart. The way Valentine describes it as if the pair of them were in a vice forcing them together is a great metaphor. It also connects to all the machinations that have being going on, the rumours, his wife's warning ('keep of the grass') that have, ironically been driving them together rather than apart. I also loved the contrast of the outspoken loyalty of his friend compared with the betrayal by her friend- how this will work out in reality I am unsure (I deliberately haven't read the book yet).

The acting was of the highest quality throughout. All the characters are well portrayed. I felt so sad about the poor mad vicar and the hanged priest; churchmen seem to fare badly in this story. I still need to get to grips fully with the motivation behind Chrisopher suddenly saying that his 'son' can be brought up as a Roman Catholic; interesting also that he had absolutely not idea that the priest had been hanged.

The photography, sets and costumes are stunning capturing the atmosphere of the era wonderfully; very Pre-Raphaelite/ Arts and Crafts in places. Valentine's hair is more authentic long, rather than short, which was unlikely even in a suffragette.

Last edited by Davina (September 10, 2012 11:33 am)

September 10, 2012 1:10 pm  #160

Good point about the hypocrisy, Davina. It seems as if Christopher's profound goodness and generosity simply provoke the worst in other people. They make use of him - e.g. his calculations for Macmaster which finally result in him being knighted, constantly borrowing money from him - but cannot accept that he is a good man. They see their own faults and try to block them out by slandering someone who lives according to his principles.

Board footera