BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 14, 2017 7:08 pm  #1

'The Final Problem'

Hello! 
I recently received a complete collection of the Sherlock Holmes stories from my uncle, as a belated Christmas gift. I was reading through some of the stories and I came across 'The Final Problem'.  I read it through and came to realize that the writers used this as the plot (sort of, with lots of modification) for 'The Reichenbach Fall' and they dwell into it a bit more accurately in 'The Abominable Bride'. So now I am rather confused as to what the episode 'The Final Problem' will be about... I know I'm probably reading to much into it and should probably go with the flow since they have introduced Eurus to the plot and they are going to do something with that....However if anyone has any thoughts please share ;) laters my fellow Sherlockians!!
-Johnlock345

Much love,
 Cherlock
And remeber folks “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data.  Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.” -SH

January 14, 2017 7:29 pm  #2

Re: 'The Final Problem'

Welcome! You are absolutely right about them using the story in the TRF and TAB!  It must have been fun to read it for the first time after seeing those two. 

I suspect that The Final Problem won't actually be strongly related to the story of the same name, simply because, as you say, they have already done that story.   We know from the trailer that Moriarty is in it, but I don't think it will be in the same capacity as TRF and TAB. 

January 14, 2017 7:35 pm  #3

It was rather exciting, especially now that I can better understand the referencing and creative adaptations the show takes on! I'm very excited to see what happens! Thank you for your response!

Much love,
 Cherlock
And remeber folks “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data.  Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.” -SH

January 14, 2017 8:27 pm  #4

I strongly believe that "The Final Problem" will wrap up all the loose ends left behind in TRF such as: 

- How Sherlock faked his death
- How Moriarty faked his death (yes he faked it)
- The meaning of "IOU" (this still puzzles me)
- What actually transpired between Mycroft and Moriarty.
- A little insight into the players in the children's kidnapping (Sherlock double perhaps)

My other fear is that this episode may possibly be the "final" showdown between Sherlock and Moriarty. So expect to hear Moriarty's ringtone when you least expect it and the look of horrific shock on Sherlock's face when it happens and Moriarty steps out of the shadows. 

I will NEVER fire a gun IN my mouth when I'm planning on Stayin Alive! 

The clue that everyone missed?

Board footera