BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 14, 2017 12:03 pm  #61

Re: BFI screening 12 January (may contain TFP spoilers)

Well, some people do moan about Mark and Steven a bit.
Also, I know not everybody has to personally like all of the actors, but I have occasionally sensed a bit of negativity towards Amanda for instance. I was a tad guilty of that, but mainly because I had been duped by fake tweets.
Then again people have the right to dislike for instance, the portrayal of Moriarty...and in fact John or Mary for that matter.
But we should possibly all at least be aware of the thought process in presenting characters in a particular way.
Further, maybe not just disliking a character, because they somehow don't quite fit in with ones particular world view.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 14, 2017 12:15 pm  #62

It reminds me a little of TRF - how quickly people can go from being adored to reviled.  But as I said, I do think it's very much a minority who are saying these things.   I had a look on tumblr (why do I do that?) and I would advise to stay away (because of the risk of spoilers as much as unpleasantness) ... but even there it is not all hate. Maybe it's a good thing that this particular spoiler is resolved before the episode airs, and people can just enjoy it for what it is. 

January 14, 2017 12:17 pm  #63

Here's hoping.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 14, 2017 12:23 pm  #64

Liberty wrote:

Anyway, about the fan reaction to it - I think it is a small minority who will react badly.  There has been nothing bad on this forum directed towards the crew. 

Absolutely right. That's why I don't get why people come here to complain about it and make accusations.

I remember many people coming new to the forum when "hating Sophie" was a huge topic out on the Internet. They always said that our forum was like a safe haven, and I think it still is.

Besides

many people who watched TFP say that you will be a happy Johnlocker if only you don't expect to see the kiss. Seems like there is enough "ambiguous" stuff in it to keep us satisfied.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 14, 2017 12:25 pm  #65

I'd actually forgotten about the Sophie stuff...that seemed so much worse.

Though I feel I should point out, the spoiler is in relation to what Steven(and a bit of Mark) said at the Q&A.

Last edited by besleybean (January 14, 2017 12:27 pm)

January 14, 2017 1:15 pm  #66

I've just read a really sweet  and gracious response from Arwel (apparently he was tweeting elephant pictures, and some people thought he was confirming Johnlock).  I don't know how to link to a twitter post (I tried to post it as an image, but it was huge!), but here's his account https://twitter.com/arwelwjones .  It's quite recent. 

January 14, 2017 1:35 pm  #67

Poor Arwel, he shouldn't have to apologise but it's very sweet that he did. He doesn't have to interact with fans and if people have interpreted his posts incorrectly that's their issue not his. Even if his posts were "misleading" that is no excuse to abuse him (or anyone connected with the show). I guess being in the public eye you do have to develop a thick skin though as there is always going to be someone not happy with what you're doing.

Like you guys have already said and I've previously mentioned any negativity towards those connected with the show does not represent the majority of the fandom, it's just that negative people always just seem to be louder, so I'm sure, well hope, it doesn't affect them too much. I'm sure they are, sadly, used to it now but I'm also sure the positive messages they recieve far outweigh the negative.

Last edited by Lis (January 14, 2017 3:38 pm)

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

January 14, 2017 3:23 pm  #68

I do hope so.

January 14, 2017 5:54 pm  #69

Liberty wrote:

It would be rude to just delete them! 

I'm almost forgetting this is a spoiler because we have already been told that JL is not going to happen previously.  But, I do think that if it's based on reports from the BFI screening, then it counts a spoiler.   And I think that for people who expected it to happen, it will actually be a massive spoiler (and disappointing).  

Anyway, about the fan reaction to it - I think it is a small minority who will react badly.  There has been nothing bad on this forum directed towards the crew. 

I can't speak for the others, but I'm not reacting badly.  I'm relieved!  I never wanted to see slash on any of the episodes, and I'm glad to know that it's not on these episodes either.

January 14, 2017 6:00 pm  #70

kgreen20 wrote:

Liberty wrote:

It would be rude to just delete them! 

I'm almost forgetting this is a spoiler because we have already been told that JL is not going to happen previously.  But, I do think that if it's based on reports from the BFI screening, then it counts a spoiler.   And I think that for people who expected it to happen, it will actually be a massive spoiler (and disappointing).  

I can't speak for the others, but I'm not reacting badly.  I'm relieved!  I never wanted to see slash on any of the episodes, and I'm glad to know that it's not on these episodes either.

Would you stop watching if they kissed, kgreen?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 14, 2017 6:04 pm  #71

I wouldn't, but it isn't going to happen- so the point is moot.

Sorry, to clarify:  I would still watch, but then I would still watch with or without kiss.
I just know the kiss isn't going to happen.
I would only expect it if one or both of them were dying and I don't think that will happen, either.

Last edited by besleybean (January 14, 2017 6:06 pm)

January 14, 2017 6:06 pm  #72

besleybean wrote:

I wouldn't, but it isn't going to happen- so the point is moot.

Not for me. I am still interested in the answer - and I believe in S5. :-)

January 14, 2017 6:08 pm  #73

I would like to, dear...I really would.
But unlike others, I would also take a one off stand alone episode...hell I would take anything..
But I just don't think we are going to get anything for a very long time...
I just hope they are repeated often on TV.
I mean I know I have Netflix and the dvds...even so.

January 14, 2017 7:51 pm  #74

Liberty wrote:

I've just read a really sweet  and gracious response from Arwel (apparently he was tweeting elephant pictures, and some people thought he was confirming Johnlock).  I don't know how to link to a twitter post (I tried to post it as an image, but it was huge!), but here's his account https://twitter.com/arwelwjones .  It's quite recent. 

Sweet guy, sweet response from him and very engouraging responses from his fans. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 14, 2017 7:52 pm  #75

Schmiezi wrote:

.....and I believe in S5. :-)

Just give us more Sherlock in any form! 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 14, 2017 7:55 pm  #76

I hope...but who knows?

Board footera