BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 10, 2017 4:27 pm  #1

2nd Law of Thermodynamics - Watson's Purpose & Moriarty's return

This episode strengthened my thought that the overall script is based on the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics (Humpty Dumpty). Details in earlier post http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=156218#p156218

When Sherlock and Watson first met, how was Watson 'saved' from his walking stick? ...because he was needed, just as in this episode. It feels like groundhog day.
Moriarty keeps coming back, just as entropy dictates. What is the connection between Sherrinford and Moriarty, as mentioned before on this board? Are they the same person ('Miss me", posture, body language)
Would Sherlock know it is Moriarty and therefore doesn't/cannot say anything, however he does everything he can to save Watson?

The whole script is a complex adaptive system with a predestined outcome. Both Sherlock and Moriarty know that, and maybe even Mycroft. The successive series cycle where Sherlock and Moriarty come closer and then diverge again, like comets in an elliptical course around each other, eventually converging.  With each iteration the forces are getting stronger because of closer proximity and de interactions will become more intense and darker.
Sherlock and Moriarty are the two strongest opposing forces (good&bad) that have to collide. They were close in The Reichenbach Fall, but not close enough.
It depends on the success of the series, and the inspiration of the writers, at what iteration we are going to experience the grand finale.

Last edited by Rene (January 10, 2017 5:10 pm)

January 11, 2017 9:05 pm  #2

Re: 2nd Law of Thermodynamics - Watson's Purpose & Moriarty's return

I like your thought very much.  Gatiss even said in an interview on the subject of the death of Mary that the story must ultimately return to two guys solving crimes.  This is what Doyle intended, and BBC Sherlock is not re-writing that basic theme. 

Also, your mention of cometary orbit brings to mind "Dynamics of an Asteroid" - fictional work by Prof. James Moriarty.

Last edited by rlogcabin83 (January 11, 2017 9:10 pm)

January 12, 2017 8:40 am  #3

@rlogcabin83 Thank you! Yes, asteroid is probably the better connotation.

January 12, 2017 3:49 pm  #4

Isaac Asimov, the prolific author, was an avid Sherlock fan.  He was a member of The Baker Street Irregulars society.  Years ago -- years and years -- I remember reading his essay about Professor James Moriarty's book on the Dynamics of an Asteroid, which he wrote as a requirement for membership in the group.  I believe that he wrote that it was likely that Moriarty was referring to Halley's Comet.

Asimov wrote other items on Sherlock.

Last edited by rlogcabin83 (January 25, 2017 11:38 pm)

Board footera