BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 9, 2017 8:34 pm  #1

Mary/CAM/CS - pattern or recurring dream?

There is always the same pattern to these threats and a cumulation - verbal, sexual, fatal.
(One might also add Irene drugging and kissing him in his bedroom as an early example).

Why does Sherlock relive this situation - lying helplessly in a bed, being threatened in all sorts of ways, his privacy being invaded - again and again? Could it be part of his recurring dream?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 9, 2017 8:51 pm  #2

Re: Mary/CAM/CS - pattern or recurring dream?

I think the pattern is broken a little by the fact that the Magnussen scene isn't canon.  I have a feeling they really liked it but thought it was too similar to what they wanted to do with Culverton (assuming they were planning that story already). 

I also don't see the Mary one as sexual, just threatening.  Maybe that's just me. 

The Irene one is different - she is not threatening, but entrancing - we see him almost literally falling for her. 

But I do think generally there is an undercurrent of Sherlock as sexually vulnerable, if that's the right word. 

I think his recurring dream is the vision we see of him as a pirate child.

January 9, 2017 9:24 pm  #3

What I do find interesting is that most people who's played a villanous role in Sherlock, always use predatory/sexual type of intimidaitons (Irene, Moriarty, CAM, CS). 

I've always figured it is because that is what works the most on Sherlock, seeing as regular insults or threats doesn't really bother him much. But he is more intimidated by anything sexual, and those types of villains pick up on that, so it becomes a tool in their power play.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 9, 2017 9:28 pm  #4

But all these things actually happened.
No I don't see them connected to his recurring dream...although having said that: unless young Sherrinford threatened hims some way.
But even then, that would be an association with love and not sex...she could have threatened violence I suppose.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera