BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 9, 2017 2:38 am  #6721

Re: The comprehensive Johnlock guide (Johnlockers only)

Maybe I don't really understand EMP since I thought TLD was actually very conclusively real (well, apart from some definitely unreal scenes, like the first drip scene with CS because it's a part of the story "the client" tells Sherlock).

Also, CS says in that scene (just to stay on topic): "You can't un-say it. Once you've opened your heart, you can't close it again."
So here to the progression of johnlock in the next ep.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 9, 2017 6:38 am  #6722

Whisky wrote:

I just leave this on your doorstep, Johnlockers, because it was the first thing that came to my mind when they talked and hugged.

What It Is (E. Fried, english translation)

"It is nonsense
says reason
It is what it is
says love

It is calamity
says calculation
It is nothing but pain
says fear
It is hopeless
says insight
It is what it is
says love

It is ludicrous
says pride
It is foolish
says caution
It is impossible
says experience
It is what it is
says love"

My heart   
What do we say about coincidence?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 9, 2017 7:37 am  #6723

-----

January 9, 2017 8:02 am  #6724

Great to see I'm not the only one who immediately recognised this line. I just posted it on the TLD discussion before I came here to see it has already been posted. I am positive the writers know the poem.

Last edited by diva (January 9, 2017 8:02 am)

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

January 9, 2017 9:33 am  #6725

And there is this ...

http://gosherlocked.tumblr.com/post/155618826016/jeslock-nice

So as a source we have the choice between a love poem and a quote by John Locke. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 9, 2017 11:56 am  #6726

SusiGo wrote:

And there is this ...

So as a source we have the choice between a love poem and a quote by John Locke. 

I take both. 

(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

January 9, 2017 12:25 pm  #6727

diva wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

And there is this ...

I take both. 

Good choice! :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 9, 2017 3:02 pm  #6728

I'm baffled by most people's reactions. Someone in a Facebook group said shipping John and Sherlock would be even more difficult after TLD. I'm not saying that everyone should see them as a couple but how can people claim that Sherlock is irrevocably in love with Irene because she is still texting him (and he ignores her texts!) whereas he can take John into his arms, caress him gently while quoting a famous love poem and people flat out declare this has to be friendship and everyone who considers there might be more is deluded?

(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

January 9, 2017 3:05 pm  #6729

Heteronormativity, if you ask me. Texting a woman means of course much more than sacrificing your own life over and over for a man. 

January 9, 2017 3:16 pm  #6730

SusiGo wrote:

Heteronormativity, if you ask me. Texting a woman means of course much more than sacrificing your own life over and over for a man. 

That was one of the few things that didn't sit right with me in this episode. Forcing Sherlock to a female character that appeared in exactly one episode. And furthermore Mycroft with a woman, I ask you!

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 9, 2017 3:20 pm  #6731

Btw, I love your signature, diva! :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 9, 2017 4:38 pm  #6732

Glad I looked at this thread because it did seem to me (on first viewing last night) that the writers were really pushing hetero-normal relationships for EVERYONE - including Mycroft, ugh.

And as far as Johnlock goes, I saw amazing, self-sacrificing love here (like never before - except maybe in TSoT) but no homo-eroticism hints I often felt in other episodes

But this thread has talked me off the ledge and I'm back on Johnlock 'terra firma'.  Thank goodness!  I agree wholeheartedly about the text conversation. That interpretation makes so much sense now.

But, you know what I would have loved to see in Sherlock's beautiful, enfolding embrace? It would have been so lovely if he had gently kissed John's hair while holding him in his arms. I would have melted onto the floor - not that I hadn't already. LOL. So happy with what we did get though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 9, 2017 4:46 pm  #6733

It's so nice to have you back, KP! :-D

January 9, 2017 4:53 pm  #6734

Someone posted on tumblr that they think Sherlock and Molly had sex in the ambulance.

*beats head on desk repeatedly*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 9, 2017 4:55 pm  #6735

No words.

January 9, 2017 5:00 pm  #6736

KeepersPrice wrote:

But, you know what I would have loved to see in Sherlock's beautiful, enfolding embrace? It would have been so lovely if he had gently kissed John's hair while holding him in his arms. I would have melted onto the floor - not that I hadn't already. LOL. So happy with what we did get though.

I'm not sure Sherlock remembers how to move his face muscles in order to kiss somebody. But Sherlock sort of lowers his head and snuggles a little closer before the scene fades out. I like your idea, KP, but I think we've got a very poignant version too!

Don't forget that the texting thing is John's interpretation. He thinks a relationship makes people complete, he cares for Sherlock and wished him the best. I guess he's just so relieved that there is SOMEBODY remotely eligible in Sherlock's life that he immediately latches onto this idea (I remember feeling the same about an ex that has been sad and lonely for quite some time after I moved on). Also, John's hurting and feeling that Sherlock is throwing away his chance despite having it (Irene not being dead after all, unlike Mary).

He says all the right words without recognizing it's about him and Sherlock instead of Sherlock and Irene.

Also, I'll never get over John imagining Sherlock with Irene. The posh boy loves the dominatrix! It's like, the first time since 2010 that John considers Sherlock being interested in an intimate relationship. At the end of ASiB he tells Mycroft that "Sherlock is not like that". But here, Sherlock denies it and John calls his bullshit. He presses on and says that a relationship would complete Sherlock as a human being. And isn't it the story they've been telling from the very beginning???

Also, the sheer intimacy of their exchange melts my heart even more than the hug. And I LOVED the hug, naturally. Sherlock and John are talking at last. It's more than John had with Mary while she was still alive.

Last edited by ewige (January 9, 2017 5:02 pm)

-----

January 9, 2017 5:12 pm  #6737

All this. 

January 9, 2017 5:22 pm  #6738

Yes all this.
The texting thing - last week John  texts a woman a few times ( a female Holmes apparently ) and most people are thinking omg! John's cheating!  while completely ignoring the texts between Sherlock  &  John .  Then this week an emotional John confesses he didn't really fit with Mary right and was cheating.
And lol err yes with a female Holmes nobody recognises or remembers apparently. 

I can't wait for next week! 

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (January 9, 2017 5:23 pm)

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 9, 2017 6:34 pm  #6739

Thanks for your wonderful post, ewige.

I love coming here at the moment, with all the "certainty" that Johnlock will never happen over at other threads. I always wonder how people can not want to look close enough to see what's really going on here.

January 9, 2017 6:40 pm  #6740

I don't have it in me to argue in the debate thread in this state of post-TLD johnlock bliss but I think I'd mention one of the points from there here.
"Even Mrs. Hudson doesn't ship them anymore."
Well. Firstly, my t-shirt begs to differ.
Secondly and more importantly, I think Moftiss don't want to hint at the endgame right before it happens. This is why there are no more gay jokes. Also, they would feel cheap in the frame of such an emotionally difficult episode.

The new promo picture shows John looking at Sherlock:

It reminds me a lot of this promo shot from the third season:

-----

Board footera