BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 9, 2017 1:02 pm  #61

Re: TLD Headscratchers

Another headscratcher: Why isn't Sherlock sick after that ride in Mrs. Hudsons car??

"It is what it is."

January 9, 2017 1:11 pm  #62

Liberty wrote:

ewige wrote:

Probably not a headscratcher at all but just a question - what's this business with High Wycombe (sp?)?
What are they referencing here?

I think it's kind of a joke.  John suggests that Sherlock and Irene meet at a Harvester in High Wycombe.  I think it's the banality of it - these two incredibly exotic people going to a chain family restaurant, or a night of passion in a mundane town.  But there's the serious side of John urging Sherlock that it's worth having that occasional liaison with an unsuitable lover. 

THANK YOU. I had no frame of reference (family restaurant, mundane town) to understand what John really meant.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 9, 2017 1:15 pm  #63

Whisky wrote:

Another headscratcher: Why isn't Sherlock sick after that ride in Mrs. Hudsons car??

Maybe he is? To me it seemed like he was shaking a bit when Mrs. Hudson opened the lid on him....

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 9, 2017 1:16 pm  #64

I may be underestimating High Wycombe - I don't know it!  I don't suppose this translates very well outside the UK. 

January 9, 2017 1:17 pm  #65

Whisky wrote:

Also, if Euros is scribbling the words "need to kill", she means John? Or does the "anybody" have any significance, too?

What if the "one word", the name, was Redbeard?

"I don't know who my father wanted to kill" -> who is she talking about when that is Euros talking and not Culvertons daughter?

But why does she ask then "how can you tell these things from a piece of paper?" Is this Sherlock telling himself he is clever? Does he imagine her in that moment? Is she real? Then why saying that to him? Doesn't she know who he is?

the "Please I have no one else to turn to, you're my last hope", what does it mean? What if it is part of a memory Sherlock has about his sister?
And then he is so agitated when he thinks she is suicidal. Is he talking to himself? He is trying to save her, but the same time, trying to save himself.

He calls her a friend... how so? He never calls anyone friend except John. And it took him ages to admit to that!!

The first drip scene is the story Lady in Red tell Sherlock. CS's real daughter is present there, she writes the note ("to kill somebody", "Who?" - she's referring to "anyone" but Sherlock figures that out on his own).
However, the daughter forgets about the confession/note later and CS gives the note to Eurus. I don't know how CS became pals with Eurus but he mentions something in the empty room with the drips about people with similar interests who chose not to forget. So maybe Eurus was at one point one of them. CS wants Sherlock's involevment because playing cat and mouse in plain sight is what excites him.

-----

January 9, 2017 1:24 pm  #66

Sor of a headscratcher:
didn't they say Mycroft's dark secret will be targeted by CS?

-----

January 9, 2017 2:36 pm  #67

The heels and cane thing made me react; I sometimes have trouble walking... and I refuse to, but I actually should use a cane those times (pride is my vice) and I always sigh about having to walk in flat shoes... looking at beautiful heels. 

How did Sherlock really know John would pick that therapist, on that day? Okay, I got Mary's explanation... and yeah, he's Sherlock. That's probably it. (sorry for answering my own question) 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 9, 2017 6:27 pm  #68

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

How did Sherlock really know John would pick that therapist, on that day? Okay, I got Mary's explanation... and yeah, he's Sherlock. That's probably it. (sorry for answering my own question) 

It was John's deduction in fact so either not so difficult or John is improving in deductions. 

January 9, 2017 6:35 pm  #69

John surely is getting much better in deductions. For some reason that worries me. Or maybe I have just read Alone on the Water one time too often...

Last edited by Lola Red (January 9, 2017 6:36 pm)

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 9, 2017 6:40 pm  #70

The note from John - could not it be in fact the note of CS doughter that Eurus gave John for Sherlock? I have no idea why to do it in so complicated way and if there is evident that the note concerns CS, also how would Sherlock know her. He had to see her at least once to be able to compare her to CS daughter. 

Just that there are two same papers here.

January 9, 2017 6:46 pm  #71

Lola Red wrote:

John surely is getting much better in deductions. For some reason that worries me. Or maybe I have just read Alone on the Water one time too often...

No!
You just hush that up right now!
*gross sobbing*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 9, 2017 6:52 pm  #72

tonnaree wrote:

Lola Red wrote:

No!
You just hush that up right now!
*gross sobbing*

sorry, I'll go sit in a corner, thinking about what I have done...

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 9, 2017 9:46 pm  #73

How could the terapist (Euros) know that Mycroft mentioned the other sibling to John. He phoned to him and only lady Smallwood was present. So either she follows his phonecalls  (it would explain how she knew about the new terapist or lady Smallwood is engaded somehow. )

Or she knew Mycroft's answer and had somebody in Mycroft's team in Sherlock's flat (or used a camera like Moriarty)?

January 10, 2017 12:25 am  #74

Since when do nurses wear paper eighties hats ( banned ) and theatre masks to put in a line drip 
Is the drug supposed to be a take on Rohypnol. Because ew.

Euros must of been secured recently if as implied Mycroft was involved, so it can't have been in the distant past of childhood as some suggest. How does Sherlock not recognise her - if drugs - how did she know Sherlock would be too high to see right through the disguise. 

Why on earth would she want to kill John ! Spurned lover ?

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 10, 2017 12:39 am  #75

Mothonthemantel wrote:

Euros must of been secured recently if as implied Mycroft was involved, so it can't have been in the distant past of childhood as some suggest. How does Sherlock not recognise her - if drugs - how did she know Sherlock would be too high to see right through the disguise.

Or something really bad  happened when they were children, she was kept separatelly in some children institution and only when she was adult it was decided to secure her and then Mycroft was involved. Either took over the responsibility to help parents or did something that upset mummy but she could do nothing about it. 

It is also possible that being more intelligent then Sherlock and kept in solitary confinment she got really bored and started something awful against everybody and everything that she blamed. It had to be something of national importance as it seems that people around Mycroft know whhat happened.

And that again as her reaction, she found somebody outside - Moriarty and game began. Then it is more clear why Moriarty concentrated on Sherlock and also Mycroft.

Last edited by Preceja (January 10, 2017 1:00 am)

January 10, 2017 12:51 am  #76

TheOtherOne wrote:

Let's have a headscratcher thread for TLD too

2. Lady Elizabeth Smallwood has suddenly become Lady Alicia Smallwood (!)

Why do you think she was Elizabeth?  CAM saw her as Alicia and she is only Lady Smallwood in credits.

January 10, 2017 4:45 am  #77

Hmm--Lady Elizabeth Alice Smallwood?

January 10, 2017 6:15 am  #78

I was also wondering, at the end when Sherlock walks out the door with the hat on and says "isn't that right Mary?" did John imagine it or was Sherlock still seeing Mary too?

January 10, 2017 7:02 am  #79

For me the whole point was that Sherlock had also been seeing and speaking to Mary, too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 10, 2017 8:28 am  #80

Here is another headscratcher: 

We know Sherlock is right-handed, so he would probably shoot up with his right hand into his left arm. John, however, at once goes for the right arm and finds the injection marks there. I have no experience with taking drugs or medication intravenously, but as far as I know you would first go for other parts of the body like feet or groin, using your dominant hand. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera