BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 9, 2017 9:26 am  #41

Re: TLD Headscratchers

Your 4 - yes, it would need a lot of planning to fool Sherlock Holmes.  He is a sucker for a damsel in distress, and I felt he was protective of "Faith" so that maybe helped to fool him.  But I was thinking about John's deduction about how Sherlock found the therapist - she would have had to set herself up in business in anticipation of John changing therapists, found an empty property and so on.   It was quite a bit of forward planning and seemingly inside knowledge.  

Now interesting about Sherlock and the real Faith - he seems to set that up as  showdown with Culverton, which all goes wrong when it's a different Faith.  But actually his plan all along, was to put himself at death's door to get John to save him, and to expose Culverton.   He wasn't setting up a Culverton confession in the mortuary, but was planning one for later.   So does that mean that he'd already guessed about Faith?

January 9, 2017 9:29 am  #42

Here is my main headscratcher : could it be that there is a fourth brother ? 
Remember the promo pic with the violin : four strings, one broken (the E one, Eurus ?)...

If not, I think Sherringford is an institution where Eurus was kept all these years. Mycroft recognized the signs of trouble and called to check if it was "secure". Mybe the house that is blowing up in TFP ?

January 9, 2017 9:49 am  #43

Eurus killed the terapist. It does not need too much planning, just to know that John is planning to go there. 

What I do not understand is  how could Eurus be in the bus and walk freely whilst Mycroft  was checking her regularly. I suppose Sheringford is the place she was kept, at least according to the translation. 

And why did CS give her the note from his daughter. Wouldn't it be natural to destroy it instead  when he wanted to erase any memory of what he told to the people? 

The deduction of Sherlock might be correct. Eurus is kept is a small flat, she loves cooking as a hobby, is in love with Moriarty, ... I do not remember exactly, I must rewatch it to see if it fits to the rest. 

January 9, 2017 9:54 am  #44

ewige wrote:

Probably not a headscratcher at all but just a question - what's this business with High Wycombe (sp?)?
What are they referencing here?

Wasn't that where Irene was? John is talking about Sherlock going there, to seek out Irene and get his chance of love. Or so I understood it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 9, 2017 10:01 am  #45

How could Sherlock know that John would come the the hospital to save him? It was just a coincidence that he found the DVD in time. Had he any backup in the hospital (not only the nurse fan) or second plan? 

Or was Mrs. Hudson given instructions from him where to look, what to give John? 

January 9, 2017 10:12 am  #46

I'm wondering about those people at the CS meeting. Why did they agree to the drip? 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 9, 2017 10:26 am  #47

Preceja wrote:

Eurus killed the terapist. It does not need too much planning, just to know that John is planning to go there. 

Yes, of course she did, thanks!  I think she said the body was in the cupboard.

She still had to do some clever deductions get to that point, though.   Surely some inside information?  From Mycroft? 

January 9, 2017 10:30 am  #48

Vhanja wrote:

I'm wondering about those people at the CS meeting. Why did they agree to the drip? 

I'm still trying to work out if there was anything real about that.   After all, Eurus was making up the story for Sherlock.  It didn't need to have actually happened.   We all thought the nurses were odd in the trailer, and it still seems odd now.  I would say there was no memory drug at all, if Culverton hadn't brought it up again later, with Sherlock.   His daughter seems OK too, does not seem wary of him, etc.  And Sherlock said that Culverton confessed to the dead, not the living.  I need to watch this again with the benefit of hindsight!

January 9, 2017 10:31 am  #49

Vhanja wrote:

This was maybe done to illustrate the sycophantic nature of people that surround such unscrupulous people as Culverton... they would even agree with the harm to their own selves to suck up to the rich and famous?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 9, 2017 10:33 am  #50

But when Sherlock and John were at their meeting with CS, Sherlock did go into the meeting room and saw the drips. They even talked about what it was. So it was real.

Team Hudders!

January 9, 2017 10:41 am  #51

I think it was quite real, yes.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 9, 2017 10:42 am  #52

Yes, I know - like I say, I wouldn't have believed any of it, if it hadn't come up again later.  And there's also the hint that Culverton's daughter really did write those things, although I need to go back to that.   But if it's all true, then how could Eurus know what was going on when the only people there were people whose memory was wiped?

Ah, the nurses, I suppose.  It's always taxi drivers, secretaries, nurses, who get overlooked ... I liked that the nurse Culverton "threatened" was in on Sherlock's plan - even making sure the door stayed closed to help him get the confession. 

January 9, 2017 11:03 am  #53

Liberty wrote:

Preceja wrote:

Yes, of course she did, thanks!  I think she said the body was in the cupboard.

She still had to do some clever deductions get to that point, though.   Surely some inside information?  From Mycroft? 

Not clever deductions, just follow John and find out he has this new terapist. The "bus girl" had his phone number, might be able to follow his calls. I assume she is connected with Moriarty, maybe she is behind him and the more clever of them, so why not. If she was able to arrange broadcasting of Moriarty after his death? 

But in this case Mycroft does not have her under control at all as he thinks.

January 9, 2017 11:04 am  #54

ewige wrote:

Probably not a headscratcher at all but just a question - what's this business with High Wycombe (sp?)?
What are they referencing here?

I think it's kind of a joke.  John suggests that Sherlock and Irene meet at a Harvester in High Wycombe.  I think it's the banality of it - these two incredibly exotic people going to a chain family restaurant, or a night of passion in a mundane town.  But there's the serious side of John urging Sherlock that it's worth having that occasional liaison with an unsuitable lover. 

January 9, 2017 11:05 am  #55

Was not among the nurses at the CS office a man? The third in the row or so? Is it normal or does it mean anything? 

January 9, 2017 11:06 am  #56

It's not that uncommon with male nurses.

Team Hudders!

January 9, 2017 12:41 pm  #57

Rewatching is doing no good, the questions get more

Who is the guy Culvertons daughter/Euros sees in the beginning when she scribbles the letters on the paper? It's not Culverton I think? It's a less bulky guy in a white shirt. Who is that?

Also, if Euros is scribbling the words "need to kill", she means John? Or does the "anybody" have any significance, too?

What if the "one word", the name, was Redbeard?

"I don't know who my father wanted to kill" -> who is she talking about when that is Euros talking and not Culvertons daughter?

But why does she ask then "how can you tell these things from a piece of paper?" Is this Sherlock telling himself he is clever? Does he imagine her in that moment? Is she real? Then why saying that to him? Doesn't she know who he is?

the "Please I have no one else to turn to, you're my last hope", what does it mean? What if it is part of a memory Sherlock has about his sister?
And then he is so agitated when he thinks she is suicidal. Is he talking to himself? He is trying to save her, but the same time, trying to save himself.

He calls her a friend... how so? He never calls anyone friend except John. And it took him ages to admit to that!!

"It is what it is."

January 9, 2017 12:52 pm  #58

Whisky wrote:

Rewatching is doing no good, the questions get more

Who is the guy Culvertons daughter/Euros sees in the beginning when she scribbles the letters on the paper? It's not Culverton I think? It's a less bulky guy in a white shirt. Who is that?

Also, if Euros is scribbling the words "need to kill", she means John? Or does the "anybody" have any significance, too?

"I don't know who my father wanted to kill" -> who is she talking about when that is Euros talking and not Culvertons daughter?

I think that the letter is really from CS daughter. She was trying to write down memories,CS took the paper from her and she forgot in few minutes. So everything is just what CS said. 
The guy in white shirt is one of the participants who already forgot the meeting. The second one is CS and took the paper from her. 

But I have no idea why he gave it to Euros. Or might it be she just stole it from him somehow? 

January 9, 2017 12:53 pm  #59

Whisky wrote:

And then he is so agitated when he thinks she is suicidal. Is he talking to himself? He is trying to save her, but the same time, trying to save himself.

Sherlock deduced that she cuts her wrists frequently. But does she really?

January 9, 2017 12:53 pm  #60

"one of you is a police officer... one of you is a judge... one of you works for a broadcaster".

They have 90mins of time with tons crammed into it. And this line is mentioned almost from the beginning, they spent time stretching it out.

In addition: We also hear one person works at the hospital/research, and helped develop the strangely glossed-over memory wiping super drug. Which sounds like fiction, but then again the Baskerville poison was also a bit of a tough sell. It feels like a mirror. 

"a broadcaster". What is so important about a broadcaster? Well, how did Moriarty's face and Miss Me end up on only UK broadcaster streams? To this end- during the final scene we hear that an accomplice is used with Culverton and Euros? 

Board footera