BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 9, 2017 12:56 am  #81

Re: First Impressions...

I honestly believe we'll get S5.  I just don't know how long it will take for them to be able to do it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 9, 2017 3:40 am  #82

First impression was that I loved that episode SO much!!  That twist!  And last week I really didn't like the change in tone and how they shot it.  But it's the complete opposite this week.  I loved the "trippy" nature of this episode.  And I love Mrs. Hudson so much too!  Just fantastic!

January 9, 2017 3:48 am  #83

Absolutely insane episode, but I loved it!  Much more in the spirit if the last few seasons and I always enjoy dark humor.  Fantastic! 
Cannot wait to see how all these pieces fit together, but at the same time, sad it will be the last episode for some time.

"Is that why you're calling yourself Greg?" 
"That's his name!"
"Is it?"

January 9, 2017 3:51 am  #84

I haven't looked through others' comments, because it's way late here, but can we give a round of applause to badass Mrs H in this episode? Everyone was soooo good in this episode, but she was one of my favorites

January 9, 2017 4:30 am  #85

Guys... I was right about the red letters spread through out the end credits being important! Yes! TST end credits spelled "THE SIX NAPOLEONS." 
The Lying Detective spelled this: "ONCE MORE UNTO THEBR (HEBR???) EACH"
The fourth word just didn't make any sense, but I'm looking into it. The other words defiantly are right, I double checked names. If anyone has a clearer image of the fourth word, that would be awesome. 
And oh, I love you guys! So many theories were actually correct! I got my guess on Sherrinford being a sister right, bus stop lady and Culverton's daughter same person right, the therapist lady being bad at end, and so many more! This episode was insane... AND THE WHOLE MISS ME TOO, AND CULVERTON QUOTING MORIARTY WHEN MORIARTY SAID HE WAS A BIG FAN OF SHERLOCK'S. AAAHHHH.

The eyes are the mirror of the soul

#sherlollyforever

January 9, 2017 4:34 am  #86

i'm-so-cHAngeAbLE wrote:

Guys... I was right about the red letters spread through out the end credits being important! Yes! TST end credits spelled "THE SIX NAPOLEONS." 

Wow, thanks for telling it! It must definitely be the US thing. I've just checked again - no red letters in the BBC version.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 9, 2017 4:47 am  #87

i'm-so-cHAngeAbLE wrote:

The fourth word just didn't make any sense, but I'm looking into it. The other words defiantly are right, I double checked names. If anyone has a clearer image of the fourth word, that would be awesome. 
And oh, I love you guys! So many theories were actually correct! I got my guess on Sherrinford being a sister right, bus stop lady and Culverton's daughter same person right, the therapist lady being bad at end, and so many more! This episode was insane... AND THE WHOLE MISS ME TOO, AND CULVERTON QUOTING MORIARTY WHEN MORIARTY SAID HE WAS A BIG FAN OF SHERLOCK'S. AAAHHHH.

I RESEARCHED. NEVER MIND I GOT I GOT YES. IT'S "ONCE MORE UNTO THE BREACH"
MOFTISS SPLIT THE WORD UP, THAT'S WHY IT WAS SPELLED WEIRD. OH MY GOSH.

Okay! So, this line comes from Shakespeare's play "Henry V." As quoted by Wikipedia: "It tells the story of King Henry V of England, focusing on events immediately before and after the Battle of Agincourt during the Hundred Years' War." The full sentence is said by King Henry V: 
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead."

This speech is said when King Henry V is "rallying his troops to attack a breach, or gap, in the wall of an enemy city." 
But that's only part of a super long speech by King Henry V, where some of Henry's lines relate scarily, or could relate, to Sherlock series 4. GO READ IT NOW. That whole line really scares me though, it sounds so final... like Sherlock getting everyone to "go into battle," so to speak. Sounds very final to me.  

Last edited by i'm-so-cHAngeAbLE (January 9, 2017 4:49 am)

#sherlollyforever

January 9, 2017 4:51 am  #88

Well, we must be ready for the next ep to be the last one. For the foreseeable future at least.

-----

January 9, 2017 4:51 am  #89

i'm-so-cHAngeAbLE wrote:

i'm-so-cHAngeAbLE wrote:

I RESEARCHED. NEVER MIND I GOT I GOT YES. IT'S "ONCE MORE UNTO THE BREACH"
MOFTISS SPLIT THE WORD UP, THAT'S WHY IT WAS SPELLED WEIRD. OH MY GOSH.

Okay! So, this line comes from Shakespeare's play "Henry V." As quoted by Wikipedia: "It tells the story of King Henry V of England, focusing on events immediately before and after the Battle of Agincourt during the Hundred Years' War." The full sentence is said by King Henry V: 
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead."

This speech is said when King Henry V is "rallying his troops to attack a breach, or gap, in the wall of an enemy city." 
But that's only part of a super long speech by King Henry V, where some of Henry's lines relate scarily, or could relate, to Sherlock series 4. GO READ IT NOW. That whole line really scares me though, it sounds so final... like Sherlock getting everyone to "go into battle," so to speak. Sounds very final to me.  

Sorry, last thing: for those of you who didn't watch it via American wise; I watched it on PBS Masterpiece on my laptop. You can access it until something like the 22nd of January, not sure if people outside of the US can watch it on PBS though? Just in case you want to look at the end credits.

#sherlollyforever

January 9, 2017 4:53 am  #90

Nope, we can't. But it's great that you picked out the letters and shared the result with us all

-----

January 9, 2017 4:57 am  #91

ANOTHER THING AKDLDLDL:'

This was at the end of the speech: 

Straining upon the start. The game’s afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry ‘God for Harry, England, and Saint George!’

Last edited by i'm-so-cHAngeAbLE (January 9, 2017 4:58 am)

#sherlollyforever

January 9, 2017 5:03 am  #92

ewige wrote:

Nope, we can't. But it's great that you picked out the letters and shared the result with us all

Ah shoot, that stinks. Sorry about that. It was an amazing episode though, quite emotional and insane.

#sherlollyforever

January 9, 2017 5:09 am  #93

Vhanja wrote:

Culverton was horrible, I could hardly watch when entered Sherlock's sick room. 

Mrs. Hudson is my new hero! She outplays the British Government, the world's only consulting detective AND his blogger. All the hats of for her! Oh, she was brilliant! [especially when she opened the boot!]

And the hug! 

And the Woman! Sherlock admits to feelings! 

January 9, 2017 5:13 am  #94

Did anyone notice how Culverton spoke to Dr. Saheed in the morgue? When he told him to come back later, he said KNOCK THIS TIME. That must mean Dr. Saheed has been in the morgue before, when Culverton was talking to his late victims, and must be a co-conspirator of Culverton's activities in 'his favorite room.'

January 9, 2017 5:23 am  #95

Meggie K wrote:

Did anyone notice how Culverton spoke to Dr. Saheed in the morgue? When he told him to come back later, he said KNOCK THIS TIME. That must mean Dr. Saheed has been in the morgue before, when Culverton was talking to his late victims, and must be a co-conspirator of Culverton's activities in 'his favorite room.'

Maybe not a co-conspirator, just a guy who wants to keep his job and stay alive and knows nobody will listen to him brining up any allegations.
The famous detective Sherlock Holmes hasn't been taken seriously. What could poor Dr. Saheed do?

...The "knock this time" line was creepy in the way how extrapolation works: nothing definite has been devulged but we draw the scariest picture we can in our heads.

-----

January 9, 2017 5:23 am  #96

As recently as The Abominable Bride, Sherlock has said, "It's never twins." But, could he and Sherrinford be fraternal twins?

January 9, 2017 5:27 am  #97

Meggie K wrote:

As recently as The Abominable Bride, Sherlock has said, "It's never twins." But, could he and Sherrinford be fraternal twins?

It's def possible but unlikely, I think. How many more secret Holmes silblings are going to be revealed within two eps?

Maybe Sherrinford is their father?

-----

January 9, 2017 5:27 am  #98

ewige wrote:

Meggie K wrote:

Maybe not a co-conspirator, just a guy who wants to keep his job and stay alive and knows nobody will listen to him brining up any allegations. That sounds totally plausible!
The famous detective Sherlock Holmes hasn't been taken seriously. What could poor Dr. Saheed do?

...The "knock this time" line was creepy in the way how extrapolation works: nothing definite has been devulged but we draw the scariest picture we can in our heads.

January 9, 2017 5:42 am  #99

ewige wrote:

Meggie K wrote:

It's def possible but unlikely, I think. How many more secret Holmes silblings are going to be revealed within two eps? 

​The only thing I am sure of is that, even having read the original Doyle story, I was still totally awed by Steven and Mark's constant ability to amaze. and thrill But, I am still chuckling at Lady Smallwood's flirtation of Mycroft

Maybe Sherrinford is their father?

January 9, 2017 6:00 am  #100

I thought that as a stand-alone episode-- or even only taking the last episode into account-- very well done. The cognitive dissonance comes into play when I juxtapose this season with season 3. I get that we're supposed to have forgotten all about s3, so-- that's where I'll start with my impressions. 

First off-- okay, I really, really, REALLY didn't want more Junkie!Sherlock-- but it's a crowd pleaser, and I knew it was just too tasty for Mofftiss to resist-- so I was resigned to it. That being said, Benedict's performance was amazing. I will say that I was left with an indelible impression of just how sweet, how kind-- (not polite and well mannered) but actually kind--caring-- Sherlock can be. 

Mrs. Hudson was priceless. It got across to me that her actions-- holding Sherlock at gunpoint, handcuffing him, putting him in the trunk of her car-- came from a place of love. She wasn't mean-- she did what needed to be done. 

Mary. Mary, Mary, Mary. Okay-- surface, judging only by this season-- wonderful, insightful view via John's subconscious into his internal monologue; what's going on h in his head-- why he behaves the way he does. 

NOT real happy with Rosie staying with friends--because, John's "not in a good place." Women don't generally get this luxury. Women take care of everyone else, and the baby. While grieving. Very often. John drinks alone in a darkened house. I get that he's wounded, but he had a child. Gotta get it together, John!

By the way-- HOW long was the texting affair going on?? OI. 

Interesting: Sherlock had chips and a hot dog. 

Culverton Smith-- did anyone catch the vaguely sexually suggestive comment he made to Sherlock in the hospital bed? Is there a theme here? All of Sherlock's nemeses are inherently gay and evil? What's that about??? They all want to "have" him. 

Okay--y'all know I couldn't let this slide. 

The Beating. 

Yes. That was a beating. John, slapping, then punching, then repeatedly kicking Sherlock--- it makes me not want John ever alone with Sherlock again. I don't care what the provocation was, I don't care if Sherlock was high, I don't care. NO MORE BEATING SHERLOCK. 

The HUG. While heartwarming-- the beating, because it was so vicious, so hateful-- stole a bit of the glow from that moment. 

That's all for now, I'm sure I'll come up with more soon. 

By the way-- if I don't comment as much as I used to-- it's because I've been working 7 days a week for the last four months. Off to bed!

Board footera