BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 6, 2012 4:47 pm  #601

Re: Favourite Sherlock/Benedict pictures

Thanks hep! Yesterday I only found the second pic and I was wondering what he might have taken a picture of.
So it's an impressive lion. Roooaaarrr!! 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 6, 2012 4:52 pm  #602

OK, English peeps, is it Highgate Cemetery? Or the Holmes ancestral seat?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

September 6, 2012 4:56 pm  #603

It is the George Wombwell tomb on Highgate Cemetery.  He was the founder of Wombwell's Travelling Menagerie, hence the lion.

Last edited by SusiGo (September 6, 2012 4:58 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 6, 2012 5:10 pm  #604

Thanks, Susi, one mystery solved. I googled George Wombwell and read his Wikipedia page, still wondering why Benny was taking the photo.Then I read this -

'In the Sherlock Holmes short story The Adventure of the Veiled Lodger the lion tamer, Ronder is described thus: "Ronder, of course, was a household word. He was the rival of Wombwell".'

Maybe Benny is making a photographic collection of monuments of people mentioned in passing by ACD.  As good as reason as any. Anyone got a better idea?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

September 6, 2012 5:11 pm  #605

Good point. Doesn't he live in Northern London? Maybe he just took a walk and the lion caught his fancy. Boring. Yours is better. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 6, 2012 5:19 pm  #606

Not only what he says can get a different meaning when taken out of context: 

September 6, 2012 5:26 pm  #607

SusiGo wrote:

Good point. Doesn't he live in Northern London? Maybe he just took a walk and the lion caught his fancy. Boring. Yours is better. 

But WHY was someone taking a photo of him taking a photo? I don't recognise the clothing from any photoshoot. All this thinking is giving me a headache. 

FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

September 6, 2012 6:10 pm  #608

From Hampstead, where I believe Ben lives, to Highgate Cemetery it is only about 2 1/2 miles and would only take about 15 minutes to drive and you could walk it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 6, 2012 6:40 pm  #609

Maybe it was a fan who was happy to discover him there. Considering the shoes - and the whole outfit - it couldn't have been a fashion photo shoot. 

September 6, 2012 6:46 pm  #610

I tweeted Cumberbatchweb, who knows all this stuff and she said 'Taken by someone else on the tour unconnected with Ben who posted & then deleted. Akin to a pap photo as far as we're concerned.' I'm not deleting them though as they seem to be available on different sites. And he so purty.

FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

September 6, 2012 6:47 pm  #611

I took this tour at least twice but never met him there. What a shame. 

September 6, 2012 7:09 pm  #612

Davina wrote:

But you can just see his roots coming through in the photo.

I thought it was his roots, too, but it isn't-- look at the hair at his temples, around the face everywhere except in the middle, and there's no blond anywhere else. This was something either deliberately left there for effect (kept away from the brown dye) or put in as a 2nd step, after the brown was put on. If it were his roots, they'd be showing all around his face.

September 6, 2012 7:11 pm  #613

I suppose he's dyed his hair so often that the roots got totally confused and can't agree on their original colour. 

September 6, 2012 7:43 pm  #614

Sorry, it's the posting-pictures-itis again.............

September 6, 2012 7:47 pm  #615

Ah, Wet Batch. From "To the Ends of the Earth"? 

September 6, 2012 7:51 pm  #616

No, from tumblr 

I guess so, didn't watch TtEotE completely, yet. Just had to laugh so much about that last pic...........

September 6, 2012 7:53 pm  #617

Yeah, that's nice one. Very flattering indeed.

September 6, 2012 8:08 pm  #618

Another one from the green eyes section:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 6, 2012 8:10 pm  #619

BLUE! 

No...okay... when looking at several pictures of Ben (what I do quite seldom!) I noticed they are both. Green-blue. Blue-green.

Thank you, tobe, and good night!

September 6, 2012 8:29 pm  #620

Mattlocked wrote:

BLUE! 

No...okay... when looking at several pictures of Ben (what I do quite seldom!) I noticed they are both. Green-blue. Blue-green.

Thank you, tobe, and good night!

On, no, definitely green. The opaque color of green sea glass. Lovely. I read a fan fic once where the author described them as the color of dawn on the North Sea...  beautiful.

Board footera