BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 6, 2012 11:29 am  #1

Sherlock Holmes & the Case of the Advanced Persistent Threat

Wow! I'm not an IT buff by any stretch of the imagination but I found this piece of work by A. Juels and T.F. Yen really interesting.

It centres upon deceptions and for 'a rich, vivid compendium of clever deceptions, we appeal to a literary classic: the Sherlock Holmes stories of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

The list of deception attacks are:
The Red-Headed League Attack
The Speckled Band Attack
The Bohemian Sacndal Attack
The Blue Carbuncle Attack

Further details about these type of deceptions into computer systems:

www.rsa.com/rsalabs/research/LEET2012-SherlockHolmes.pdf

Last edited by Davina (September 6, 2012 11:30 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 6, 2012 11:58 am  #2

Re: Sherlock Holmes & the Case of the Advanced Persistent Threat

Thanks for the article; I wonder if "Red Headed Bot" will become common IT parlance? Also, I am absolutely convinced Moriarity was behind this article as a way to brag about his triple assault on the Tower, bank, and prison. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

September 6, 2012 12:06 pm  #3

He might have been!  Lol. I thought it was a great article and makes you more aware of the subtleties of the 'infiltration'. Re-headed Bot alert.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 6, 2012 12:18 pm  #4

It was really interesting; now I want to see Moftiss use one of these ideas.

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

September 6, 2012 1:26 pm  #5

Hmm! There's a thought. OI! Steven...Mark! We have a present for you.

September 6, 2012 7:39 pm  #6

Davina wrote:

Hmm! There's a thought. OI! Steven...Mark! We have a present for you.

If they do something similar, I will have to always wonder if they read your post.

Board footera