BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 5, 2017 2:30 pm  #21

Re: What will happen to Rosie?

Well, maybe they can try to make it work with living in 221B and Mrs. Husdon helping out when necessary at first and then realize that they are puttung themselves at too much risk out there, so they stop for a while.
However, I don't know whether they would be able to ever get back into the fray, even years later... Parenthood changes people and makes them more risk-averse. However, it's been established that John needs risk and action to function properly, this is how he ended up with Sherlock in the first place...
Such an ending would be definitely "the end of an era" but difficult to pull off character-wise and remain believable, I think. It also doesn't sound like insane wish fulfillment.

Last edited by ewige (January 5, 2017 2:31 pm)

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 5, 2017 2:48 pm  #22

Mothonthemantel wrote:

I loved the scene with Sherlock and the rattle too. He called the baby Watson !
I really thought I would hate Sherlock with the baby scenes before. But   

Mothonthemantel, for some reason Sherlock's speech to Baby Watson was one of my favorite moments in an episode I personally don't care  all that much about - yet. I also loved the interaction between Sherlock and Archie in TSOT. I guess I like it so much because it's done without any sentimentality and artificial sweetness at all. And Sherlock simply treats children very much like grown ups - even Baby Watson. He isn't condescending at all. Of course he can be horribly honest, too, as shown in ASIB,when he tells his youthful clients what happens to a body after death, or in the case of the girl with the glowing rabbit in HOB. But I liked that attitude, too.
So, the way it is handled in the show I'm good with Sherlock and children.

January 5, 2017 2:59 pm  #23

ewige wrote:

Such an ending would be definitely "the end of an era" but difficult to pull off character-wise and remain believable, I think. It also doesn't sound like insane wish fulfillment.

No, the insane wish fulfillment is the part where John and Sherlock shag like bunnies. 

Sssssorry!
*runs away giggling madly*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 5, 2017 3:04 pm  #24

I don't mind.

-----

January 5, 2017 3:08 pm  #25

Vhanja wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

Interesting thought that Rosie could be the reason for there having to be a break after S4.  Parentlock for real!  I don't think it's an impossible idea.  I could see John being torn up because he has to give up crime solving with Sherlock, but knowing he has to put Rosie first.  Then Sherlock being all "I made a vow" and saying they will take care of Rosie together.  It would certainly be something that's never been done with Sherlock before and I could be satisfied with the story going that way.

Oh, that would've been lovely! And ambigious enough to hopefully satisfy both Johnlockers and non-shippers. 

And thus the Sherlock fandom was reunited and lived happily ever after 

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 5, 2017 3:19 pm  #26

Lola Red wrote:

Hahaha, and pigs were flying. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 5, 2017 4:16 pm  #27

Vhanja wrote:

Lola Red wrote:

Hahaha, and pigs were flying. 

And pink elephants went on a parade !

Oh wait...🐘

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 5, 2017 4:26 pm  #28

I think there is an interesting parallel between Mary and Rosie. Most people expected Mary to be gone at the end of HLV at the latest. She stayed for another two episodes (and will probably appear in flashbacks/videos, whatever in the remaining episodes). Most people expected Rosie to not exist/die/go away with Mary and now she is still there. No babies were seen during setlock after TST filmed. I am very excited to see what they will make of her. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 5, 2017 4:38 pm  #29

It depends ... if they go off into the sunset that way, then it would be fine. If the cases and the excitement go altogether and we get a kind of sitcom, then no, I wouldn't be happy (but I don't think that would happen). 

I was actually happy not to see too much cute baby stuff with John and Mary - it wasn't something I particularly wanted to see.   I think the point was made well that although they loved Rosie, neither of them were really cut out to be stay at home parents, and were itching for adventure.  Meanwhile, Sherlock adjusted very well!  And yes, I don't like parentlock, and I didn't want to see Uncle Sherlock, but to my surprise I loved that bit!   Maybe "I love you" is to Rosie!

I do wonder about the (setlock spoiler)

little girls supposedly cast, and the older little girl seen at setlock.  At the time, I wondered if they were going to jump years ahead with baby Watson, although I think it was confirmed that the oldest little girl with the pigtails was not supposed to be her?  Or did I imagine that?

January 5, 2017 6:06 pm  #30

Mark said that the show is behind real time at the moment (last time it was in real time was apparently the end of HLV), so that would give them two to three years that they could move it ahead without having the show set in the future.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 5, 2017 10:24 pm  #31

I expected Mary to die before the baby was born. As it did not happen can mean that Rosie has bigger role then just a burden. To kill Mary and after some time also Rosie seems to be too cruel and meaningless.

I like the idea of Sherlock's retirement and roses/Rosie. I do not want it to happen but it is exactly what happens - they take something from canon and use it in a different way.

So they will move to the country to raise Rosie till she can start boarding school. i.e they will disappear for ten years exactly as was the gap between books after Doyle let Sherlock die. And  it is clear now that we must wait for S5 till 2027.

January 6, 2017 12:08 am  #32

I was listening to Moffet saying how terrible the new "bad guy" was and I was thinking how can he be worse than  the ones they had.  The I thought of him harming Rosie.  Mary's death would have made more since to me if she had been trying to say Rosie but then they both died.  To me Rosie is going to have to be rarely seen unless John's new girlfriend is moving in to take care of her full time.  ;)

January 6, 2017 8:54 am  #33

I thought of retirement as one of the things that might seem "difficult to come back from" at the end of TFP.  At the time we were talking about character deaths and so on, and I thought it might be more something like a change.  And the pics that we've seen have suggested an end to 221B.   However, we saw John struggling a bit with fatherhood even when he had cases, so how would he feel about "retiring" from the adventure side?  I do wonder with Sherlock - if he could almost make a child a project, in the way Mycroft apparently did with him - and if that would retain his interest. 

There was a hint in one of the reviews that Culverton is like Jimmy Saville.  I don't know how far they're taking that, but Jimmy Saville was truly chilling.  I don't know if he is known outside the UK, but he was a famous public figure, famous for his charity work, was awarded a knighthood, etc. ... after his death it turned out he was a prolific paedophile, necrophile, etc.  Because of his status as much-loved philanthropist, he was allowed access to sick children in hospital, and to a mortuary.  I'm concerned about the fact that a mortuary is shown in the trailer (with Culverton there) and (setlock spoiler)

it looks like some scenes were filmed in a place fitted out to look like a  children's hospital

.   Now, I didn't connect those things to Rosie, but you may be right SharonH58. 

Last edited by Liberty (January 6, 2017 8:55 am)

January 6, 2017 9:17 am  #34

I do not think we will see John with another girlfriend in this series. 

As for Jimmy Savile - yes, the idea is very chilling. And I had already wondered who could be even worse than Moriarty and Magnussen. But someone like Savile - this will be nasty, creepy, dark. Exactly the words used by the team and a journalist who had seen the episode.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 6, 2017 9:31 am  #35

However, some of the Smith mystery will apparently be related to Sherlock's past which is chilling enough even without little Rosie in the picture.

-----

January 6, 2017 10:55 am  #36

But would a show like Sherlock delve into those kind of really dark and creepy matters, though? That would change the feel and atmosphere of the show quite a lot, I think.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 6, 2017 11:01 am  #37

In the recent promo video Martin speaks of "emotionally uncomfortable territory" and calls CS "the worst person in London, worse than Moriarty, a horrible human being". So this is a different dimension of evil than before. 

January 6, 2017 11:14 am  #38

Yes, I am surprised that they would delve into that territory, especially as a lot of children watch the show, but I have a feeling that's where it might be going.  This kind of character would certainly give Culverton qualities which would make Sherlock and John (and us!) despise him.  He wouldn't even have to kill anyone.   Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm preparing myself for some disturbing viewing. 

January 6, 2017 11:21 am  #39

I am not happy to have a child around, I agree on the "threesome" thing, I cannot see how it would work.
But, on the other hand, I would also find it rather strange, storywise, to kill first Mary and then her baby. Is John supposed to get over that and live happily ever after with Sherlock? Sorry for saying, but even if things like that might - sadly - happen in real life, and people might get over it, I think John would be more likely to finally be done with life. He had suicidal thoughts before, after all.

"It is what it is."

January 6, 2017 11:23 am  #40

Whisky wrote:

I am not happy to have a child around, I agree on the "threesome" thing, I cannot see how it would work.
But, on the other hand, I would also find it rather strange, storywise, to kill first Mary and then her baby. Is John supposed to get over that and live happily ever after with Sherlock? Sorry for saying, but even if things like that might - sadly - happen in real life, and people might get over it, I think John would be more likely to finally be done with life. He had suicidal thoughts before, after all.

Killing Rosie off would be over the top, but I'm afraid they can still say it was all in Sherlock's MP O.o

-----

Board footera