BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 27, 2012 8:36 pm  #21

Re: Richard Brook

Could he be ambidextrous? Unlikely I know, but possible.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 27, 2012 8:46 pm  #22

I thought about that, too, Davina. But, as you say, it's not likely. True ambidexters are VERY rare, and an ambidexterous Moriarty would not turn the teacup, because he would be fine to hold the handle with either hand. Also, I cannot imagine, that the writer would create an ambidexterous Moriarty, just to confound us.
The whole thing could still be a big continuity error, but I get increasingly uncomfortable to chalk up every headscratcher to this. And again, there IS a Moriarty brother in the canon.

Last edited by sherlocked (March 27, 2012 8:46 pm)

March 27, 2012 8:55 pm  #23

Oh my God - well spotted guys!! That's amazing....a real mystery! Could we be onto something here??? I mean seriously...maybe there are two Moriarty's....it's canon!

But why would they do that unless they were planning to bring another (non dead) Moriarty back...? I always thought it would be a great cliff hanger ending to Series 3 to have Moriarty back again (by that I mean Moriarty's brother...the one we saw on the roof is definitely dead).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 27, 2012 8:58 pm  #24

I don't think he's ambidextrous either. And I cannot see how it could be a continuity error either because Andrew Scott will almost certainly be either right or left handed. So the most likely explanation is that it is done deliberately. Andrew Scott does not have a twin brother who is also an actor so...

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 27, 2012 8:59 pm  #25

Sherlock, I also think, the guy on the roof is dead. But if we are really dealing with twin brothers here, they could at least bring Andy back in the next season, who ever he might be. A lot of fans would love that!

March 27, 2012 9:08 pm  #26

The fans would completely freak out. They already all pretend that Jim is still alive.

March 27, 2012 9:13 pm  #27

Well, frankly, I could live better with the twin hypothesis than with the theory, that the guy, who shot himself on the roof also faked his death.
By the way, if there's anything to our guesswork, Moriarty's sentence 'I'm sooo changeable' would get a whole new meaning, lol!

Last edited by sherlocked (March 27, 2012 9:14 pm)

March 27, 2012 9:16 pm  #28

sherlocked wrote:

By the way, if there's anything to our guesswork, Moriarty's sentence 'I'm sooo changeable' would get a whole new meaning, lol!

And the "The clue's in the name: Janus Cars" hint he gave needlessly in 'The Great Game'.

Could be others.

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

March 27, 2012 9:19 pm  #29

Oh right yeah, forgot about that...it would explain so many things...

And didn't Gatiss or Moffat mention in one of the audio commentaries about Moriarty's brother...and then quickly moved on to talk about something else...?

March 27, 2012 9:21 pm  #30

Maybe in the pool scene the first guy is one brother and then when he comes back in saying he is soooo changeable it is actually the other one!

March 27, 2012 9:22 pm  #31

HAHA, that would be hilarious...and maybe one of the brothers really is gay with the gay underwear and the other one isn't...

March 27, 2012 9:26 pm  #32

Yes, mOr1arty, Janus Cars could be a hint! Though I was always under the impression, that the first episodes were written without a clear idea, where they would take the show in the second season, because they didn't know if there would be a second season at all. But they might have had some ideas, how they might like continue and put in the options...
I'm going to bed, guys! Sometimes I hate this show, lol!

March 27, 2012 9:27 pm  #33

Keep wondering about the 'tired clubber's eyes' as well.

March 27, 2012 9:30 pm  #34

Davina, I had EXactly the same thought about the pool scene: one goes, the other one pops out, lol,lol,lol!
Ok, Really good night, this is getting too hilarious!

March 27, 2012 9:31 pm  #35

I know...we really are insane but who knows...could be onto something...I've posted our theories on Twitter.

March 27, 2012 11:13 pm  #36

Just finished watching A Study In Pink again, and a couple of things occured to me in relation to what we've been talking about on this thread.

Firstly, there's the bit where Donovan warns John to stay away from Sherlock, and says that one day they'll be standing around a body and Sherlock Holmes will be the person responsible...well that kind of says that Moftiss already had some ideas about what was going to happen in future episodes, because obviously in Reichenbach that's what it's made to look like, and Donovan is the one who kind of takes Moriarty's bait on that one.

Secondly, the part at the end where he's talking to the cabbie and the bit where he mentions that his sponsor is "more than a man", Sherlock asks if it's an organisation and the cabbie replies that "there's a name no one mentions". Obviously that name is Moriarty, but what I was thinking was, what if "Moriarty" is just a name...like the name of an organisation say...and that the person we know as "Jim Moriarty" has taken on that name because he's the leader (or one of the leaders) of that organisation...and what if Richard Brook was Jim's real name and real identity...and that Jim Moriarty was just a stage name kind of thing. I think someone mentioned something similar to that earlier on in the thread, but that moment in ASIP made me think of it again, and it does kind of make sense. It wouldn't be that hard to "erase" any traces of James Moriarty if that person didn't actually ever exist, and it wouldn't be hard for him to prove the existence of Richard Brook if he was that person all along.

Just a thought...probably nothing!

March 27, 2012 11:17 pm  #37

What if "Moriarty" is actually initials that stand for something (like H.O.U.N.D)...so it would be M.O.R.I.A.R.T.Y - some secret society or orgnisation.

Jeez I really need to get some sleep...

March 28, 2012 1:06 am  #38

I like the idea that Rich Brook has created the character of Jim Moriarty and therefore he exists as both people. I think there's too much being read into the stubble. He's performing, mostly for Kitty's benefit, and has therefore probably used make-up or what have you. Note that he was the last to arrive in the apartment so he's been out somewhere.

Also, he may not be ambidextrous but it is possible to teach yourself to use your other hand for some things. As evidenced by the fact that Andrew Scott is probably not ambidextrous but can do them as an actor.

One other point - Moftiss has stated unequivocally that they have no intention of bringing Moriarty back. He is definitely dead. However, Moftiss can be little weasels so I guess it's not inconceivable that they will bring Rich Brook or James Moriarty into it.

ARGH the more answers we come up with, the more questions it creates! And the answers aren't even answers, they're conjecture. WHY DO WE HAVE TO WAIT SO LONG!!!!????? *cries*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

March 28, 2012 2:18 am  #39

I will say this on the subject before I get to watch the actual scenes.
If there are twins, I will throw my DVD's in the rubbish and will gladly not watch any future episodes of the show.

- There certainly are ambidextrous people in the world who do SOME things well as left handers, and SOME things well as right handers and SOME things well with either hand.  I am one of them.

- Professor James Moriarty and Colonel James Moriarty were two separate people. It was not uncommon in those times to have a 'James Patrick' and a 'James Robert' as brothers for instance.

So as I said, if they insult their audience in this way, I won't ever watch another minute of the show. However in saying that, I do believe Moffat and Gatiss have more respect for their audience than trying to use such a cheap twist.

Last edited by kazza474 (March 28, 2012 2:53 am)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 28, 2012 2:53 am  #40

sherlocked wrote:

But the guy, who breaks into the tower, is clearly a right hander: He handles his phone with the right hand, but more importantly, he applies the diamond with the right hand, which needs some fine motorical skills. Now, you could argue, he wrote 'GET SHERLOCK' with his left hand. Yes, but he's writing in mirror image. If you write mirror image, the left hand is easier, because you don't swish over the letters with your hand. I should know, because I am a leftie and, as many lefties I'm very good at mirror image writing. Also, the letters, he writes are kind of crude, so he doesn't have to be very skillful with his left hand to write those letters. But for me the clincher is the careful way he applies the diamond with his right hand. No leftie would do this.

Ok, I just watched the scene.
He arrived at the Tower & took photos with his LEFT hand & used the phone apps with his LEFT hand.
He then went inside & used the phone in his RIGHT hand to listen to music and use apps.
He sprayed the guard with his LEFT hand.
He then wrote with his LEFT hand.
He placed the diamond with his RIGHT hand.

Now to me, using apps is easy to do with either hand.
Taking photos, spraying a can accurately to achieve an instant result (which he had to do or the guard would have fought back) and writing are all things you would do with your stronger, more stable hand.
Picking up the diamond & placing it didn't need any great accuracy really, the glob of gum was pretty big in comparison.

I would call that average writing, not too crude and the smiley face looks pretty 'controlled'.

There's nothing thus far to suggest he is Right handed and nothing to suggest he is ambidextrous. When he needed accuracy, he used his left.

When he poses as a cabbie, you can certainly see the faint darkness of stubble starting to show through esp on the top lip; he's not 'clean shaven' there.
Then later in Kitty's flat, the stubble has certainly progressed as it was sometime later that night/early morning.
In most photos I have seen of Andrew Scott he appears with some degree of stubble coming through. Some guys are naturally like that, the 'five o'clock shadow' appears everyday, sometimes just after lunchtime!

Last edited by kazza474 (March 28, 2012 4:04 am)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

Board footera