BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 4, 2017 10:38 am  #41

Re: TST - what is real in this episode?

Yes, sherlocked, I agree. And someone compared the two versions of Mary speaking on the DVD. She is saying the same words but with a completely different intonation and in one version she suppresses a sob. We are definitely asked to question what we see and hear. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 4, 2017 10:42 am  #42

SusiGo wrote:

Yes, sherlocked, I agree. And someone compared the two versions of Mary speaking on the DVD. She is saying the same words but with a completely different intonation and in one version she suppresses a sob. We are definitely asked to question what we see and hear. 

Maybe the manipulated Magnussen footage in the opening scene is the first indication to be careful with shown "truths".

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 4, 2017 10:55 am  #43

Exactly. We are shown what can be done to change a story by creating a similar, but different version of it. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 4, 2017 11:19 am  #44

I remain unconvinced on this point...my gut feeling is it may more point to the lady being a plant.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 4, 2017 11:35 am  #45

Please look at this - more and more evidence for things happening in Sherlock's mind. Or they just happen to have the same lamps in 221 and Morocco. 

http://incurablylazydevil.tumblr.com/post/155386534073/um-the-lamp-in-morocco-is-the-same-lamp-in-baker

January 4, 2017 11:39 am  #46

Hmm, flashback maybe?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 4, 2017 11:42 am  #47

So you think the same lamp does exist in two places that have no connection whatsoever? Or they found it nice and used it again? I think this is a hint that at least this version of Morocco does exist only in Sherlock's mind. And he furnished it with things that are familiar, hence the lamp. 

January 4, 2017 11:43 am  #48

or their happen to be working for the BBC on a limited budget... 
but as always...we will see.
Funny thing though with these sort of theories: Once one got invested in them one is tempted to see everything through that lens. You can't kill an idea...

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 4, 2017 11:44 am  #49

I hope it isn't a reflection of Sherlock being high...
So has the hell already happened and he is recounting the tale?

EDIT: Possibly that's my problem, I remain unconvinced about any extended mind palace theories...except for TAB, of course.

Last edited by besleybean (January 4, 2017 11:46 am)

January 4, 2017 11:45 am  #50

But this is not a theory but a fact. The lamps are there for everyone to see. Arwel Wyn Jones is very meticulous in his job. And they filmed in Morocco where you can find lots of lamps. But they chose to use this. Balance of probability, if you ask me. 

January 4, 2017 11:46 am  #51

Fair enough...we'll see how it plays out.

January 4, 2017 11:59 am  #52

It's not the same lamp. Helluva similar but not the same.
Funny, Arwel. Really funny.

Last edited by JP (January 4, 2017 12:06 pm)

January 4, 2017 12:01 pm  #53

The lamp actually looks like a different shape in the shots, but it could just be the angle.   Yes, they may have reused the lamp - I suspect that they would shoot the interiors in the UK, and the outdoor shots in Morocco.  So the room may have been a constructed set in Cardiff.   And the lamp could be a significant clue, or just used for fun.   I'm aware that the "clues" to TAB being mind palace (before it became completely evident) were actually pretty obvious, and mostly written into the script. 

I admit I'm influenced by wanting the thing to be real.  If this isn't real and HLV is mostly EMP, then I start to feel, what's the point?  They're writing in a kind of fantasy world anyway - if they make the whole thing a fantasy within that then it cancels it out and it might as well be real.  I agree that there are some unreal aspects to TST, but I would be very frustrated if I found that, for instance, Sherlock did when Mary shot him, or overdosed at the beginning of HLV, and this is all a dream.  No, thank you. 

January 4, 2017 12:10 pm  #54

Definitive different.

January 4, 2017 12:17 pm  #55

Arwel is a mean person...just kidding.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 4, 2017 12:28 pm  #56

Have I missed something?
Hasn't the whole of HLV been proved to be real?
By the changing of the footage of Sherlock shooting CAM, if by nothing else?.

January 4, 2017 12:37 pm  #57

The photos of Watson´s flat were released:

http://nixxie-fic.tumblr.com/post/155385262885/pt-3-of-5-brand-new-pics-hq-screencaps-from

Is it different than before or not?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 4, 2017 12:41 pm  #58

Yes, it is. The door in the last pic, left of the windows, is not there in MHR and HLV. John opens the door to Isaac's mother, walking to the other side, not to the window side. 

And another "continuity error":

http://softjlc.tumblr.com/post/155387863782/yet-another-discontinuity-in-tst

January 4, 2017 12:42 pm  #59

besleybean wrote:

Have I missed something?
Hasn't the whole of HLV been proved to be real?
By the changing of the footage of Sherlock shooting CAM, if by nothing else?.

For those who do not believe in EMP, yes. But for those who do? As I just said, you cannot kill an idea. Or as Doyle put it, once you have committed to a theory "It biases the judgment" (and please note that I don not mean that as critism towards anyone who does commit to a theory)

Last edited by Lola Red (January 4, 2017 12:43 pm)

January 4, 2017 12:46 pm  #60

Wow at some point we have to believe something in the show is real...
I sometimes wonder if I'm watching the same show as other people.
Ho do people account for the doctored footage then?

EDIT: oh and wow, can't wait to see the significance of Lestrade's bag...and I don't mean the lovely detective!

Last edited by besleybean (January 4, 2017 12:48 pm)

Board footera