BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2017 5:24 pm  #21

Re: Mycroft

Yes, he's obviously done something awful!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 3, 2017 5:24 pm  #22

I was right about the walls, thank you! 

And yes, it does scare me how much we see of Mycroft... I am really scared of what might happen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 3, 2017 5:33 pm  #23

Ivy wrote:

I still fear about him and then that "you're a reptile comment" from Mrs H that is still to come.

Yeah I really want to know what Mycroft did to get Mrs Hudson so angry at him!

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

January 3, 2017 6:08 pm  #24

At least Mrs. Hudson rage gives me hope that Mycroft will just do something so cold and calculated that it would shock anyone but Sherlock, instead of getting himself hurt..or worse

Last edited by Lola Red (January 3, 2017 6:08 pm)

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 3, 2017 10:52 pm  #25

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 3, 2017 10:57 pm  #26

Once again this neither reflects anything I see about Mary, her relationships with John and Sherlock or Mycroft for that matter.
Mary worked for Mycroft for a while, he knows her abilities.
But she was retired and married John for love...this is what the series shows to me.
Mycroft had concerns about Mary's SAFETY and warned Sherlock of that very fact.
The only open question for me is CAM: did Mycroft send Mary in, did he know she was going to go in etc?

Having said that: if he arranged her death or allowed her to die...that would make him a 'reptile'.
But we haven't yet been shown anything that would justify this.

Last edited by besleybean (January 3, 2017 10:59 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 3, 2017 10:58 pm  #27

I keep wondering about how informed he was of AGRA, too.
Also, when Mary dies, nobody seems surprised or disturbed when she mentions having shot Sherlock. WTF?!

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 3, 2017 11:00 pm  #28

Possibly they all know about that now, have dealt with it and moved on.
I mean she's dead now, so what does it matter anyway?

January 3, 2017 11:10 pm  #29

I wouldn't have thought Lestrade knew.  But still, the main event is a dying woman.  It's not as if he's going to be arresting her. 

Interesting point though, that the showdown with Mary present meant exposing her.  If she'd survived, she might have been arrested ("I could go to prison for the rest of my life").  Sherlock didn't phone the police, John did, but I hope there was some sort of plan - or maybe she could get protection, as with AGRA she was working for the government (whatever else she'd done).   It's all moot now, anyway. 

I'm pretty sure Mycroft knew who Mary was from the beginning.  He didn't need to check her out, as he did John, because he already knew.  He doesn't seem surprised, and I feel TAB hinted strongly that Mycroft knew who she was.

January 3, 2017 11:18 pm  #30

Liberty wrote:

Interesting point though, that the showdown with Mary present meant exposing her.  If she'd survived, she might have been arrested ("I could go to prison for the rest of my life").  Sherlock didn't phone the police, John did, but I hope there was some sort of plan - or maybe she could get protection, as with AGRA she was working for the government (whatever else she'd done).

Maybe John wanted to have her arrested? 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 3, 2017 11:18 pm  #31

Oh stop it!

January 3, 2017 11:32 pm  #32

It would have been easy enough to arrange, if he did!  But it seems like none of them (John, Sherlock, Mycroft) wanted that to happen. 

January 4, 2017 8:26 am  #33

ewige wrote:

I keep wondering about how informed he was of AGRA, too.
Also, when Mary dies, nobody seems surprised or disturbed when she mentions having shot Sherlock. WTF?!

That's true. Strange indeed!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 4, 2017 8:30 am  #34

I don't think it's strange at all.
On the world scale of events, it hardly registers as a ripple.

January 4, 2017 1:00 pm  #35

Not too strange. There is just one point that one has to accept to make it work and that might be still a bitter pill for some to swallow: the surgery theory.
If Mycroft knew who Mary was, he would no doubt guess is was her who shot Sherlock. The only reason why he would have let her go unbothered would have been if he came to the same conclusion Sherlock did: that while she was the one who pulled the trigger, she also made "sure" he survived. 

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 4, 2017 1:14 pm  #36

Exactly.
Why would Mycroft even think Mary was a danger?
AS we have since discovered, she was more in danger herself.
I would like to remind people:  Sherlock is still a very active and healthy looking corpse, whereas to me, Mary seems quite a lot more dead...I think I know who got the better deal.

Last edited by besleybean (January 4, 2017 1:14 pm)

January 4, 2017 4:16 pm  #37

I think Mycroft has his priorities as always. In case he knew about the bigger picture... he might have made a choice to let Mary meet her fate. Mycroft might do anything to save Sherlock - but maybe not anything to save Mary. Maybe that's why he is questioning the seriousness of Sherlock's vow - because he already suspects (knows?!?) Mary's time is up, and he wants to make sure Sherlock steps back a bit from his mission to save her. And that would explain Mrs. Hudsons anger, too.
Are there scenes with Mycroft and Mary that could hint at their relationship? I cannot remember right now. Just the Christmas Dinner.

I find it funny... Sherlock the dragon-slayer, Mycroft the reptile.  (At least it's debatable if dragons classify as reptiles, too.)

Last edited by Whisky (January 4, 2017 4:17 pm)

"It is what it is."

January 4, 2017 4:31 pm  #38

I also think Mycroft would not have lifted a finger to protect Mary. I think the only reason why he got involved was that there was some messy business leading back to his turf, and, as he said, he does not like loose ends.

We have had very little interaction between Mary and Mycroft, I think only on the plane. There, Mycroft seem unsurprised by her hacking skills, she is dismissive of MI5 security, but that is about it. At Christmas, we do not see them interact. Mary is in the living room drinking tea, Mycroft is in the kitchen bemoaning his fate. Even at the aquarium, they do not interact if I remember correctly.

January 4, 2017 5:17 pm  #39

But Sherlock and Mycroft have an extended conversation about AGRA.

January 4, 2017 6:29 pm  #40

I think Mycroft possibly does know who shot Sherlock, but as you say, Lola, he must have come to the same conclusion that Sherlock does.  I still like my little pet theory that Mycroft sent Mary after Magnussen (and so might feel a little responsible for Sherlock getting in the way, even though he warned him), but I don't think there's anything really to back that up in TST.    I do think Mycroft probably knew who Mary was from the beginning.   And that may be why he's warning Sherlock at the wedding in TSOT - he knows Mary won't live long, and Sherlock will be hurt (as he was over Redbeard).

Board footera