BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2017 3:35 pm  #1

Little Canon reference

I saw that when Mycroft removed the slip of paper from the fridge, revealing the post with the number, the piece of paper he removed said 'Reigate Square' a nod to the Doyle story 'The Reigate Squire.'

January 3, 2017 10:09 pm  #2

Re: Little Canon reference

Nice one

​Sherlock telling Norbury "Just back to your little flat on Wigmore Street. They've taken up the pavement outside the post office there. The local clay on your shoes is very distinctive."

is a nod to the Sign of Four when Sherlock tells John

"For example, observation shows me that you have been to the Wigmore Street Post-Office this morning" and then explains "Observation tells me that you have a little reddish mould adhering to your instep. Just opposite the Seymour Street Office they have taken up the pavement  and thrown up some earth which lies in such a way that it is difficult to avoid treading in it in entering. The earth is of this peculiar reddish tint which is found, as far as I know, nowhere else in the neighborhood."

Just like old times...

January 3, 2017 10:12 pm  #3

Punch me in the face wrote:

Nice one

​Sherlock telling Norbury "Just back to your little flat on Wigmore Street. They've taken up the pavement outside the post office there. The local clay on your shoes is very distinctive."

is a nod to the Sign of Four when Sherlock tells John

"For example, observation shows me that you have been to the Wigmore Street Post-Office this morning" and then explains "Observation tells me that you have a little reddish mould adhering to your instep. Just opposite the Seymour Street Office they have taken up the pavement  and thrown up some earth which lies in such a way that it is difficult to avoid treading in it in entering. The earth is of this peculiar reddish tint which is found, as far as I know, nowhere else in the neighborhood."

Ooh, that's brilliant! Even those folks haven't found it!
https://www.inverse.com/article/25858-sherlock-six-thatchers-easter-eggs-references-season-4-conan-doyle

January 3, 2017 10:20 pm  #4

Oh

​When I heard it, I immediately thought of that dialogue between Sherlock and John but for some reason I was sure it was in the Blue Carbuncle and was unlucky while trying to find the extract. I only realised today that it actually was in the Sign of Four and was then able to find the proper quote

Last edited by Punch me in the face (January 3, 2017 10:21 pm)

Just like old times...

January 3, 2017 10:27 pm  #5

Honey, I didn't even think it was canon at all.

January 3, 2017 10:29 pm  #6

Very good observations, kudos to you both! 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 4, 2017 4:50 pm  #7

According to a TV Tropes site:

• It's very Blink-and-You-Miss-It, but the two fishing boats in northern Norway (during Mary´s escape scene) are named after Sherlock Holmes adventures. In Norwegian. Specifically, "Løvens Mane" / "Lion's Mane" and "Flekkete Bånd" / "Speckled Band".

Also, there is one more reference to Lion´s mane in the episode: when John mentions that "you can´t arrest a jellyfish..."

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 4, 2017 10:12 pm  #8

Was the thumb the wrong one because it wasn't The engineers thumb. 

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 6, 2017 12:21 am  #9

January 6, 2017 7:06 am  #10

Interesting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 6, 2017 8:02 am  #11

Two of the code names Mycroft mentions at the start – Langdale and Porlock – are canon references. Langdale Pike was mentioned in The Adventure of the Three Gables, and Fred Porlock was an informant in The Valley of Fear.

There is also an interesting reference to a shark in The Valley of Fear:

"Who then is Porlock?" I asked.

"Porlock, Watson, is a nom-de-plume, a mere identification mark; but behind it lies a shifty and evasive personality. In a former letter he frankly informed me that the name was not his own, and defied me ever to trace him among the teeming millions of this great city. Porlock is important, not for himself, but for the great man with whom he is in touch. Picture to yourself the pilot fish with the shark, the jackal with the lion —anything that is insignificant in companionship with what is formidable: not only formidable, Watson, but sinister—in the highest degree sinister. That is where he comes within my purview. You have heard me speak of Professor Moriarty?"

Norbury was the setting of The Adventure of the Yellow Face and is also where this quote came from:

"Watson," said he, "if it should ever strike you that I am getting a little over-confident in my powers, or giving less pains to a case than it deserves, kindly whisper 'Norbury' in my ear, and I shall be infinitely obliged to you."

Last edited by Meretricious (January 6, 2017 8:09 am)

January 6, 2017 8:13 am  #12

It's such a well-known story that I'd be really surprised if he hadn't heard of it anyway.  But of course he has also written Agatha Christie adaptations.  I love that he's a fan!  I also read a lot of Christie in my youth. 

January 6, 2017 4:40 pm  #13

I may have read the odd one, not sure...I know my sister read them all.
I have always stayed away from her, because there have been suggestions she was a bit of a Hitler loving fascist.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 6, 2017 6:16 pm  #14

Meretricious wrote:

Two of the code names Mycroft mentions at the start – Langdale and Porlock – are canon references. Langdale Pike was mentioned in The Adventure of the Three Gables, and Fred Porlock was an informant in The Valley of Fear.

There is also an interesting reference to a shark in The Valley of Fear:

"Who then is Porlock?" I asked.

"Porlock, Watson, is a nom-de-plume, a mere identification mark; but behind it lies a shifty and evasive personality. In a former letter he frankly informed me that the name was not his own, and defied me ever to trace him among the teeming millions of this great city. Porlock is important, not for himself, but for the great man with whom he is in touch. Picture to yourself the pilot fish with the shark, the jackal with the lion —anything that is insignificant in companionship with what is formidable: not only formidable, Watson, but sinister—in the highest degree sinister. That is where he comes within my purview. You have heard me speak of Professor Moriarty?"

Thank you, I did not realise we had these names in the Canon.

January 6, 2017 6:20 pm  #15

nakahara wrote:

According to a TV Tropes site:

• It's very Blink-and-You-Miss-It, but the two fishing boats in northern Norway (during Mary´s escape scene) are named after Sherlock Holmes adventures. In Norwegian. Specifically, "Løvens Mane" / "Lion's Mane" and "Flekkete Bånd" / "Speckled Band".

"

I can confirm that this is correct. I didn't see it at the time, though. Well spotted.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 7, 2017 7:27 pm  #16

When John speaks with Mary in Morrocco, he says to her (transcript from our marvellous Ariane de Vere):

JOHN: Mary, I may not be a very good man, but I think I´m a bit better than you give me credit for, most of the time.

This is actually the quote from "The Yellow Face", the short story where the term "Norbury" originated too. Sherlock´s client, Munro, apologises to his wife at the end of the story:

"I am not a very good man, Effie, but I think that I am a better one than you have given me credit for being."

Still, the meaning of the scene was tweaked a bit. In the original, Munro apologises for suspecting his wife due to misunderstanding. Here, John apologises to his wife too - but her lies were real....

Last edited by nakahara (January 7, 2017 7:28 pm)

January 7, 2017 7:28 pm  #17

His might have been, too!

January 7, 2017 7:32 pm  #18

Wow, I'm loving all the bright minds here and your attention to all the Canon references. I'm learning a lot .And it's fun.

Board footera