BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2017 8:56 am  #41

Re: John´s cheating

For me I think the answer is obvious: they just want sex and if a tired and stressed wife isn't providing...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 3, 2017 9:21 am  #42

But John is just as tired and stressed!
Both he and Mary are shown passed out on Sherlock's couch.

I can only understand his cheating (no matter how far he went exactly) only thru the fact that he eventually put a stop to it. This, I can understand in his character.

Storytelling-wise, I hope it was shown as a sign of the rift between him and Mary and the reason for the rift between him and Sherlock because of John's feeling of guilt.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 3, 2017 9:23 am  #43

I know, but he has the option of getting away from it...
I thnk partly the latter part of your post, ewige- yes.

Last edited by besleybean (January 3, 2017 10:11 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 3, 2017 9:31 am  #44

I have been thinking: I have until now read John wanting to confront Mary after they came back to London as him wanting to come clean about his little affair/flirt, but could he also have been about to tell Mary that this whole married with baby thing was just not working for him? He did say just prior that he "used to" like Mary and was dreaming about his bus conquest...

Last edited by Lola Red (January 3, 2017 9:32 am)

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 3, 2017 9:51 am  #45

I don't think so.  I get the feeling that they had reconciled at that point.  They seem good together, even almost walking off together and leaving poor Rosie!   I think it's in response to Mary saying it's difficult because he's so perfect, and he's going to tell her about his imperfect little fling. 

I feel the "I used to", is in response to Mary having run away, and finding out that she'd lied even about the little detail of the initials.

January 3, 2017 10:12 am  #46

Yes and certainly at the point of death, they seemed completely reconciled.

January 3, 2017 9:06 pm  #47

She's effing kidding, right?

-----

January 3, 2017 9:07 pm  #48

Wow!

January 3, 2017 9:11 pm  #49

Okay, it just can't be.
She must be kidding.
If it was in any way connected to the future Sherlock, she wouldn't be allowed to post it!!!

-----

January 3, 2017 9:11 pm  #50

Is that bus stop lady's wig 

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

January 3, 2017 9:12 pm  #51

Lis wrote:

I don't think so, no.
I call the bus stop lady redhead but she's more like auburn... and the hair is more straight and a bit tangled, not really curly I think.

-----

January 3, 2017 9:13 pm  #52

When I re-watch tomorrow, I really am gonna scrutinise that bus lady now...is it Mary?
Altho it can't be...cos isn't Mary in the room when bus lady texts John?

January 3, 2017 9:13 pm  #53

ewige wrote:

Lis wrote:

I don't think so, no.
I call the bus stop lady redhead but she's more like auburn... and the hair is more straight and a bit tangled, not really curly I think.

Yeah, I was just kidding hehe 

Last edited by Lis (January 3, 2017 9:14 pm)

January 3, 2017 9:15 pm  #54

She's definitely not Mary in TST, but I think Mary may pose as her at some point in the future. In John's nightmares (I hope he has a couple of recurring dreams of his own now)?

Still, I believe AA is just trolling us.

-----

January 3, 2017 9:16 pm  #55

To be fair, poor John has had recurring dreams for the entire time we have known him!

January 3, 2017 9:18 pm  #56

ewige wrote:

She's definitely not Mary in TST, but I think Mary may pose as her at some point in the future. In John's nightmares (I hope he has a couple of recurring dreams of his own now)?

Still, I believe AA is just trolling us.

Oh that could make for an interesting dream/nightmare, definitely would make John feel more guilty though...poor John.

@besleybean He can't seem to catch a break!

January 3, 2017 9:19 pm  #57

Well he certainly caught a break with bus lady!

January 3, 2017 9:21 pm  #58

besleybean wrote:

To be fair, poor John has had recurring dreams for the entire time we have known him!

Ok, I guess "once a season" is "recurring" too, strictly speaking

-----

January 3, 2017 9:43 pm  #59

Hi everyone, have refrained from commenting here for a loong time - almost three years. But couldn't resist to take a few peaks at the new threads today after having watched TST.
I have to agree with those who felt that the whole episode had something unreal about it. I had a very hard time to get into it. But I appreciate how the writers tried to work in very clever hints at canon. I postpone  final judgement until I've seen the last episode. It might work better in hindsight. I just didn't enjoy it very much as a standalone episode.
I do not believe that everything was a dream or a figment of Sherlock's mind palace. But the unreliable-narrator theory has some plausibility. And I think that the writers/makers deceived us as well on several occasions.  I firmly believe that John's midnight texting ("miss me ....it's been too long") is not a chat with the mystery woman but with an old friend, with whom he hasn't been in contact for a while. There's nothing flirty or erotic about it. It's just our dirty fantasy which adds this connotation, since we have seen John flirting with the mystery woman  . But the actual words of the  texts make it unlikely that the various texts are exchanged with the same person. So, with whom might John exchange texts after a longer hiatus? Some said it might've been Sherlock, but that's not very plausible, since there has been no recent hiatus.  My money would be on Mike Stamford, who couldn't even make it to John's  wedding for some reason. Too far fetched? Well, it has been mentioned  that Mike Stamford would make an appearance in S4. Why shouldn't he be in the morgue at night and exchange some  texts with John from one night owl to another? If true I reserve judgement for now if such an exchange will be relevant in later episodes.
But if John was really texting with an old friend while Mary was tending to the baby's needs, he wasn't quite as callous as we might've thought at first viewing. Maybe that's a comforting thought. He might not have acted so OOC after all.

January 3, 2017 9:47 pm  #60

I am sorry, I have to disagree with you on this.
To me it is made crystal clear John had an affair with this lady and I certainly think this is who he texts with.
This may all come to light in a future episode.

Board footera