BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 4, 2012 12:18 pm  #1

Which "based on Sherlock Holmes" shows/books do you like the best?

They're all out there: House MD, Monk, the Mentalist, (not to mention Hercule Poirot - the books, not the tv show) etc... I'm sure there are loads that I've missed.

Yeah, which ones do you like best? At the moment, I'm leaning toward The Mentalist

Last edited by saturnR (September 4, 2012 12:21 pm)

September 4, 2012 7:00 pm  #2

Re: Which "based on Sherlock Holmes" shows/books do you like the best?

In order to answer this question I would need to know more shows/books "based on Sherlock Holmes".
Maybe we could have a list or something?

I don't know The Mentalist, it never interested me. Monk is fun but it's not that good. I used to watch and love House but after a while I stopped watching it because I thought that all the episodes were basically the same.

I just read that Batman is a bit based on Holmes. How curious.

September 4, 2012 8:29 pm  #3

I just finished reading a good detective novel by a new Brit author, Michael Robotham.  The book is called 'Lost'.  Homicide Detective Vincent Ruiz is one of those great renegade detectives with a deep sadness in his soul. Makes you want to gather him in and heal him .  Anyway, the story is set in London, and while not based on Sherlock Holmes, Ruiz has a friend, clinical psychologist Joe O'Loughlin, who has a lot of Sherlock's deduction capabilities. It's a good read.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

September 5, 2012 3:01 am  #4

My Fair Lady. Professor Higgins was clearly inspired by Sherlock Holmes, from his eccentric, bachelor lifestyle, mistrust of women (I'll never let a woman in my life), and a general "don't give a shit" attitude towards others and societal expectations.

September 5, 2012 3:45 am  #5

To answer the question of what is based on Holmes:

- House : Dr House uses drugs, lives in apartment 221B, is obnoxiously rude, has a friend/confidante called James Wilson (JW), has a female patient called Adler in the first episode & has a patient called Moriarty in series 2 who tries to kill him.

- In Monk, his detective skills came from his father reading Holmes to him each night, he ended up solving the crimes from the book much earlier than was expected. There's a police captain called Leland Stottlemeyer who is similar to Lestrade; there are 2 female assistants who are like Watson, he has a brother Ambrose who is equivalent to Mycroft & his name is odd sounding, like Holmes's

- CSI- Crime Scene Investigation has a character called Gil Grissom who is based on Holmes. Has weird body parts in his refrigerator, goes to extremes using logic to deduce things, has a nemesis called Paul Millander (Prof Moriarty) who chases after him, and interacts with a woman call Lady Heather, a dominatrix no less!

- Batman uses Holmes logic & reasoning & was loosely based on Holmes. Robin would be the equivalent of Watson; Alfred the equivalent of Mrs Hudson (although initially was used as the equivalent of Watson); Catwoman possibly the equivalent of Irene and the Joker could be equivalent to Moriarty (interesting that Andrew Scott based his Moriarty on Heath Ledger's Joker)

- The Mentalist : Patrick Jane is largely based on Holmes, has a nemesis in Red John, has a side kick in Lisbon.

- Bobby Goren from Law & Order: Criminal Intent

There will be many others, as it is commonly accepted that nearly ALL fictional detectives have something 'Holmesian' about them.
I can't see a connection with Professor Higgins myself, but those things are in the eye of the beholder one assumes.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

September 5, 2012 4:14 am  #6

The most Holmes-like detective is of course Poe's Auguste Dupin. No wonder since he's ACD's role model for SH. Being in my teens, I loved the Poe stories to bits, especially the first "deduction scene" in "The murders in the Rue Morgue".
(Dupin's first appearence in a Poe story. "Morgue" - there you have it. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 5, 2012 11:12 am  #7

kazza474 wrote:

To answer the question of what is based on Holmes:

- House : Dr House uses drugs, lives in apartment 221B, is obnoxiously rude, has a friend/confidante called James Wilson (JW), has a female patient called Adler in the first episode & has a patient called Moriarty in series 2 who tries to kill him.

- In Monk, his detective skills came from his father reading Holmes to him each night, he ended up solving the crimes from the book much earlier than was expected. There's a police captain called Leland Stottlemeyer who is similar to Lestrade; there are 2 female assistants who are like Watson, he has a brother Ambrose who is equivalent to Mycroft & his name is odd sounding, like Holmes's

- CSI- Crime Scene Investigation has a character called Gil Grissom who is based on Holmes. Has weird body parts in his refrigerator, goes to extremes using logic to deduce things, has a nemesis called Paul Millander (Prof Moriarty) who chases after him, and interacts with a woman call Lady Heather, a dominatrix no less!

- Batman uses Holmes logic & reasoning & was loosely based on Holmes. Robin would be the equivalent of Watson; Alfred the equivalent of Mrs Hudson (although initially was used as the equivalent of Watson); Catwoman possibly the equivalent of Irene and the Joker could be equivalent to Moriarty (interesting that Andrew Scott based his Moriarty on Heath Ledger's Joker)

- The Mentalist : Patrick Jane is largely based on Holmes, has a nemesis in Red John, has a side kick in Lisbon.

- Bobby Goren from Law & Order: Criminal Intent

There will be many others, as it is commonly accepted that nearly ALL fictional detectives have something 'Holmesian' about them.
I can't see a connection with Professor Higgins myself, but those things are in the eye of the beholder one assumes.

This paper compares Higgins and Holmes. You might be surprised to see how many similarities there are: http://www.wakayama-nct.ac.jp/gakka/ippan/ippan-staff/morikawa/GBS_Japan/mythslegendsinPygmalion.pdf

September 5, 2012 11:33 am  #8

Hmm well the 'comparisons' made could be made with many fictional characters. It doesn't convince me of anything; more like something written in conspiracy theorist mode.

Yep, both deduces things about people by their looks.
Anti social behaviour - Higgins' swearing is likened to Holmes' addiction to cocaine. Well there's a point of debate already. Holmes wasn't addicted to cocaine, just used it when bored. That's not addiction; nor classed in those days as anti social behaviour.

It's a pleasant little piece but could be likened to why apples and oranges are similar really.
I'd hate anyone to hand that in to me expecting plaudits.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

September 5, 2012 11:51 am  #9

To answer the original question, my favorite is House by a long shot. I actually was a huge fan of that show (and Hugh Laurie) long before I jumped on the Sherlock Holmes bandwagon. Then first Sherlock Holmes movie (Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law) came out and my boyfriend at the time dragged me to it on the premise that I would "see similarities between Dr. House and Wilson." I loved the movie, and so it began.

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 5, 2012 6:21 pm  #10

I've got The Mentalist on DVD and I sometimes watch House when it's on TV. The problem is, since I've discovered Sherlock, I don't like The Mentalist as much as before.

--------------------------------------------------
Crime in Progress. Please Disturb.

September 5, 2012 7:36 pm  #11

The problem is, since I've discovered Sherlock, I don't like any of them as much as before.
(Not that I know all of them, just wanted to mention...  )

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 5, 2012 8:00 pm  #12

I really like House but not as much as Sherlock. Not least because his relationship to Wilson lacks the wonderful charm of the friendship between Sherlock and John.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 6, 2012 12:18 am  #13

SusiGo wrote:

I really like House but not as much as Sherlock. Not least because his relationship to Wilson lacks the wonderful charm of the friendship between Sherlock and John.

Agreed. I love both Robert Sean Leonard and Hugh Laurie though.

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 6, 2012 6:16 am  #14

Yes, they make a nice "couple", but the multi-layered relationship between Sherlock and John goes much deeper I think. But I like the actors. I'll never forget watching "Dead Poets Society" for the first time and being deeply impressed and then many years later watching it with my daughter who got totally upset when R.S. Leonard shot himself.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera