BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2017 4:35 pm  #21

Re: John's anger towards Sherlock

Liberty wrote:

... he might still have been angry that Sherlock put her in that position. 

But Mary kept inserting herself into Sherlock´s cases since TSOT?
Also, in TAB, it was established how incredibly misogynistic Sherlock and John are when they want to keep Mary out of danger and to leave her at home?

And suddenly it´s Sherlock´s fault that he put her into that position (with her eager participation)?
So what could he do? Damned if he did leave her at home, damned if he took her along....

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 2, 2017 4:36 pm  #22

Welcome to Sherlock's world!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 2, 2017 4:39 pm  #23

I think John feels guilty . He was beinga bit naughty behind Marys back and he was jealous of Marys interactions with Sherlock. So definite guilt. Also I think John has put Sherlock on a pedal stool. Even when John asked for one more miracle - don't be dead Sherlock granted it. So the reality of Sherlocks fall to humanity hits him. I think John somehow found the idea of Sherlocks sociopathy safe and doesn't want to   deal with Sherlock as an emotional peer - unsafe maybe?

Additionally at the same time I think the scenes were from Sherlocks pov and maybe inside Sherlocks MP so Sherlock blames himself and so exaggerates and projects that onto John . It all very very unrealistic though.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 2, 2017 4:40 pm  #24

I don't think Sherlock is projecting as such.
He might blame himself a bit, but he KNOWS John blames him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 2, 2017 4:40 pm  #25

I also find it interesting that none of this makes Sherlock angry. He just looks sad. If someone accused me of something like that, I would've been furious (born out of hurt). 

Lestrade was there, though, he saw it all. I do hope he will pay John a visit, give ham a smack at the back of his head and tell him to get a grip.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 2, 2017 4:42 pm  #26

Love it!

January 2, 2017 4:42 pm  #27

Punch me in the face wrote:

​Then we don't know (or maybe i missed it) how much time has passed between Mary's death and the scene with Molly passing John's note to Sherlock. Maybe it's really soon after Mary's death, which would explain why John is still angry. He hasn't had enough time to give it second thoughts.

That's true, the scene with Molly and Sherlock could still be fairly recent. It takes time for logic to kick back in when grieving.

Obviously Sherlock and John work together in TLD so there has to be some sort of reunion and I'm thinking (hoping) it will probably happen fairly early on in the episode so as not to drag their estrangement out, especially as Mary was taken out of the picture so the show could get back to the "two blokes in Baker Street" as Steven Moffat said.

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

January 2, 2017 4:44 pm  #28

I think Sherlock is not angry because he knows he made a mistake.  Not blaming him, but he does set high standards for himself.  I also think he took the vow really seriously himself.

January 2, 2017 4:45 pm  #29

I think so, too.

January 2, 2017 4:49 pm  #30

It might be that grief over Mary and not wanting to see Sherlock are for different reasons.
Perhaps John feels he now must put the baby first.
Next episode I think we will see how far Sherlock will go to protect her or children though.

Hudders will be the one to bring them to their senses.

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (January 2, 2017 4:49 pm)

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 2, 2017 4:49 pm  #31

Yes, I agree.  John's turning on him is coupled with his being disappointed in himself.  His core group of people that matter to him has been shaken.

Clueing for looks.

January 2, 2017 4:49 pm  #32

In this interview, Steven elaborates on this exact issue and how they will deal with it for the coming two episodes:

http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/01/sherlock-season-4-premiere/

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 2, 2017 4:52 pm  #33

Thanks for the link, Vhanja.  Interesting read.  I don't think I've ever watched a show where we get an interview with the writer about what just happened in the episode that just aired.

Clueing for looks.

January 2, 2017 4:54 pm  #34

Wow. Mr G. -" But front and center are the consequence of Mary’s death and Sherlock’s culpability. He could have done better, it’s his lifestyle that killed her in the end."

Huh What the actual.....

January 2, 2017 4:54 pm  #35

Marys own lifestyle was to blame for everything. !

January 2, 2017 4:56 pm  #36

I agree Moth and I think Mary accepted that.

January 2, 2017 4:58 pm  #37

Mothonthemantel wrote:

Wow. Mr G. -" But front and center are the consequence of Mary’s death and Sherlock’s culpability. He could have done better, it’s his lifestyle that killed her in the end."

Huh What the actual.....

Her lifestyle of assassin/agent/Mycroft´s crony was safe and sustainable then?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 2, 2017 4:59 pm  #38

Apparently so!
Well, she was retired.

January 2, 2017 5:00 pm  #39

Thanks for the link!

I don't agree with Moffat's comment about Sherlock's culpability and I'm not looking forward to "If anything, the rift gets worse"!

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

January 2, 2017 5:01 pm  #40

Ug.

Board footera