BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2017 2:17 am  #181

Re: First impressons and discussions

Mothonthemantel wrote:

Interesting when John says "so many lies and I don't just mean you.." to Mary. Does he also mean himself?

I thought so too.

Why do they all say "Tiblisi" instead of "Tbilisi"? Isn't Mark some sort of a grammar nazi? Shouldn't he know such things?

Last edited by ewige (January 2, 2017 2:22 am)

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 2, 2017 2:32 am  #182

Maybe Sherlock's session with Ella is MP? That would totally make sense. The setting is surreal, doesn't look like Ella's usual work place at all.

-----

January 2, 2017 2:59 am  #183

Mothonthemantel wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

I thought that the secretary was Porlock?

Well maybe. But would a secretary get a codename. Plus ends in lock ?

Edit: To add,  Sherlock calls Norbury ammo (amo) and refers to her sending messages as her boss L.Smallwood.

Norbury is quite a mirror of John , looking for a new partner motive jealousy angry at the boss being the clever one and betraying secrets to the enemy (Mycroft for John) .
So in short Norbury Johns mirror and Sherlocks mistake , is love.

Neat.

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (January 2, 2017 3:01 am)

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 2, 2017 3:16 am  #184

I've just noticed that the picture of the Miss Me disc we had previously is not the same scene/situation that we see in this first ep.
So this story hasn't played out till the end yet.

-----

January 2, 2017 3:20 am  #185

ewige wrote:

Maybe Sherlock's session with Ella is MP? That would totally make sense. The setting is surreal, doesn't look like Ella's usual work place at all.

Just had this exchange on tumblr.

johnsjawlineum does the fact that sherlock was talking to ella mean the whole episode was in a way his memories? because guys that means we have an unreliable narrator

deducingbbcsherlockThis is where I’m leaning. Not that this was all MP and completely fake. These events happened, but we’re getting them through an incredibly skewered lens. A possibly still-high lens.

tonnareeI like this idea.Think about this.  After the credits we get a bit of Sherlock walking through the aquarium which we now know occurs at the end of the episode.  Then we “go back” to Sherlock working cases and being domestic with the Watson’s.  It very well could be that the episode is Sherlock telling the story to Ella.

Last edited by tonnaree (January 2, 2017 3:21 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 2, 2017 3:27 am  #186

You are right! The strange light behind Sherlock at the very end before the final credits is the same light filtering thru the aquarium in teh beginning too! Oh my. I don't want it all to be MP, and to untangle the unreliable narrator's perspective they would need like 10 eps more. I don't know what to think anymore.

-----

January 2, 2017 4:50 am  #187

Okay-- finally got to watch on PBS/ Masterpiece-- and about to go watch it again... 

My initial impressions: 
An awful lot of it was Mary focused, but I suppose they were trying to give her a good send off. I think we'll see her again in flashbacks. It's not over. 

It's possible that the reason Mary wants Sherlock focused on "Saving John" is because she knows that her chickens are coming home to roost-- and John and Rosie are now in danger from some element of her past. The DVD that she left seemed like she knew it was a possibility that some element from her past- "consequences" were likely to take her out. 

I think Sherlock really was "high on life". After all-- he was going to LIVE! :-)

I suspect that "E"-- Elizabeth from a forthcoming ep is a plant and John's own weakness for the ladies will get him into a deadly situation with Culverton Smith. 

John? Johnjohnjohnjohnjohnjohn.  Sigh.  Just.  Agh. 

And I thought that Sherlock was trying to divert Norbury's attention away from Mary-- the agent who got away-- by deducing her so aggressively. In other words, draw her fire-- and protect Mary. 

Also: John really did forgive Mary, had no agenda against her, really burned the thumbdrive-- and only learned Mary's real name -- how late in the show? 

I LOVED Sherlock in this, and adored Sherlock and Mycroft interactions. Best parts of the show. 

Can't wait to see what'll happen next. 

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (January 2, 2017 4:51 am)

January 2, 2017 5:08 am  #188

Hi, I just joined this forum! I caught up on Sherlock two years ago in one binge (and many subsequent repeated watchings cause I love it ) so I've never watched a Sherlock episode at the same time as the rest of the world - had to find a forum to discuss!  

As always, I have to watch the episode a couple more times before I can comment more  - overall, a very different feeling episode from any of the others - in story and character.

Some thoughts - John and Sherlock working together on a case, or anything,  was non-existent which made the show feel a little empty - like it didn't have its fully functional heart to it? You know?  Too much Mary and Sherlock on his own mainly- John was too much in his own world.  

I'm not sure how I feel about the more human Sherlock haha.  I know Sherlock has feelings and capable of deep caring of course but he was so sentimental this time...hmmm....

John's growl at the end - woah, that was something.  

The girl on the bus, John's shut out of Sherlock after Mary's death, Mycroft's phone call at the end, Marty's "Go to hell, Sherlock" comment and John's note to Sherlock - hopefully to be explained in the next two.  I thought Benedict was really great, he always is.  I guess I've really missed him haha. 

Anyway, I'm so glad to be here and enjoy reading everyone's comments 

Last edited by mgny441 (January 2, 2017 5:10 am)

January 2, 2017 5:18 am  #189

Hello all, just joined to share a theory!

What are the odds that Sherrinford, "the other one," is in fact the little girl seen in the brief mind palace  scene chasing after a little boy in the pirate hat? Possibly cast off by Mycroft for taking up with some shady characters or otherwise. Possibly recruited by Moriarty as a back up plan to attack John and/or Sherlock  after learning of Sherlock's childhood from Mycroft in the cell. Possibly going by the name Errin -- aka E xxx.

Just a thought!

January 2, 2017 5:37 am  #190

There were a lot of mirrors... there were. Interesting.

BTW maybe random question but they also mirrored the 'AMMO' on screen right? What is 'OMMA'?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 2, 2017 6:09 am  #191

Also... about the note that knocked Sherlock out so Mary could steal the USB... that's been used in Doctor Who; funnily enough by Madam Vastra (the female and Lizard version of Sherlock in that).

I guess it's likely a soporific like that could work... but if you think of the pilot and if Sherlock has gone back on drugs... it would have to be pretty strong. No?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 2, 2017 7:23 am  #192

ewige wrote:

Liberty wrote:

so what does she have against him?

Why do you think she has something against him? I think she merely predicted both men's reactions. "Go to hell, Sherlock" - go to your emotional hell to save John who now hates you and come back.

Brilliant!
Dear Ewige, I love your theory!  I was so puzzled, thinking why would she say that?!  If he goes to hell, then he couldn't save John.  Boy was I puzzled & walking around with a frown. 😕

Then I see your insightful statement & ha, it's like that old cliché, a lightbulb went on above my head!
💡  I see it!  (say I excitedly!)...I see it!
Makes perfect sense! 

Just wanted you to know, Ewige, that you fare well around here & helped this Sherlockian to get 40 winks tonight!
HAPPY  NEW  YEAR!!! 🎉

"He's cluing for looks" ~ fave quote to date!
Cracks me up always!

January 2, 2017 7:41 am  #193

Liberty wrote:

I was actually hoping for Mary to be redeemed, which she was.  But it feels almost too pat in the way.  As if all the boxes were ticked.  It was confirmed that she was working for Mycroft/the government (I guessed that might be the case straight after TAB!), and that that was her "freelance" work.  Once she knew she was being targeted she tried to keep the danger away from John and Rosie.  We found out her real name, she told us what AGRA was and what was on the stick.  She ended up directly taking a bullet for a Sherlock, in the heart, as a reminder of HLV.  And she apologised for shooting.

All the boxes ticked, almost too well.  I'm just suspicious.

I agree, it almost felt as if they had just gone down a list and made sure to show us this and this and this...
And at the same time I'm wondering about Mary telling John in HLV hat he won't love her anymore once he's read what's on the memory stick. Because what we saw in TST felt just... not dramatic enough, if you know what I mean. The scene in 221B in HLV was so full of drama, and now this is the explanation? And if this already is her freelance work, then what she did beforehand must have been truly harmless. There is something missing, and although I'm not really interested in seeing still more of Mary, I think we need to get more if this is supposed to make sense in the end.

Apart from that, I really missed what I would call the "Sherlock style". Someone already mentioned it, I never got the feeling that I was watching the show which blew me anyway during its first six episodes, especially visually. I always loved the show because it was different, because it was a tv show with the feeling of a movie, because it was fascinating on a visual as well as on a story-telling level. And now we're getting scenes with Mary in combat situations which make me think 'God, I have seen this a thousand times before, can it get anymore ordinary...?'. So many things felt uninspired, from the scene with Mary more or less giving birth in a car and behaving like a lunatic (how many times have I seen this before on tv or in a movie?) to Mary's death scene. Yes, the setting with the aquarium was fascinating, but in that case the setting wasn't enough.

And since I'm talking about 'not enough': I know that Mark said that ultimately it's a show about Sherlock and John. And after TST I'm really, really hoping that he's not only talking about it, but that they're also doing it. Again. And very, very soon. Because boy, at the moment I feel like Tom Hanks in "Sleepless in Seattle" when he's talking about missing his dead wife: I miss the boys so much that it hurts. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 2, 2017 7:48 am  #194

ewige wrote:

When Sherlock and Mary are talking on the phone before the boys with Lestrade enter the dead boy's house, Mary says that secretaries always know everything.

Yes!  There were lots of little details that referred to other parts throughout.  It felt very neat.   Perhaps too many coincidences, but that's OK.

January 2, 2017 7:53 am  #195

ewige wrote:

Mothonthemantel wrote:

Interesting when John says "so many lies and I don't just mean you.." to Mary. Does he also mean himself?

I thought so too.

Why do they all say "Tiblisi" instead of "Tbilisi"? Isn't Mark some sort of a grammar nazi? Shouldn't he know such things?

That kept bothering me - I just thought it seemed an odd way to pronounce it, but I don't know the correct way so assumed they were right! 

And yes, I think John meant bus stop lady ... but as I've said, I think there's more to her than meets the eye.  And I think possibly Mary knew - in the sense of knowing John is at risk.  I think this may be the case she's sending Sherlock on at the end.

January 2, 2017 7:59 am  #196

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Okay-- finally got to watch on PBS/ Masterpiece-- and about to go watch it again... 

My initial impressions: 
An awful lot of it was Mary focused, but I suppose they were trying to give her a good send off. I think we'll see her again in flashbacks. It's not over. 

It's possible that the reason Mary wants Sherlock focused on "Saving John" is because she knows that her chickens are coming home to roost-- and John and Rosie are now in danger from some element of her past. The DVD that she left seemed like she knew it was a possibility that some element from her past- "consequences" were likely to take her out. 

I think Sherlock really was "high on life". After all-- he was going to LIVE! :-)

I suspect that "E"-- Elizabeth from a forthcoming ep is a plant and John's own weakness for the ladies will get him into a deadly situation with Culverton Smith. 

John? Johnjohnjohnjohnjohnjohn.  Sigh.  Just.  Agh. 

And I thought that Sherlock was trying to divert Norbury's attention away from Mary-- the agent who got away-- by deducing her so aggressively. In other words, draw her fire-- and protect Mary. 

Also: John really did forgive Mary, had no agenda against her, really burned the thumbdrive-- and only learned Mary's real name -- how late in the show? 

I LOVED Sherlock in this, and adored Sherlock and Mycroft interactions. Best parts of the show. 

Can't wait to see what'll happen next. 

I agree with your points.  Yes, I felt Sherlock's deduction was to try to draw attention from Mary.   Sherlock and Mycroft were great together!  I really hope Mycroft doesn't die or become a villain.  I love their relationship!  

Yes, it does seem to put to rest the idea of John plotting against Mary.  Those "prepared words" were real.  I also think Sherlock genuinely cared for Mary, and wanted to protect her. 

January 2, 2017 8:08 am  #197

All the Porlock comments ... the first thing that springs to mind for me (and probably a lot of you too!) is the person from Porlock.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person_from_Porlock
The person from Porlock was an unwelcome visitor to Samuel Taylor Coleridge during his composition of the poem Kubla Khan in 1797. Coleridge claimed to have perceived the entire course of the poem in a dream (possibly an opium-induced haze), but was interrupted by this visitor from Porlock while in the process of writing it. Kubla Khan, only 54 lines long, was never completed. Thus "Person from Porlock", "Man from Porlock", or just "Porlock" are literary allusions to unwanted intruders who disrupt inspired creativity.

That could have been a little in-joke by Mark, if he had been interrupted while writing the script.   But Coleridge so famously used drugs, and Sherlock using drugs is a theme, that I wonder if it's about Sherlock and his drug-induced mind palace use.  Both of them use dream-like states to help their minds work.

January 2, 2017 9:12 am  #198

SolarSystem wrote:

Apart from that, I really missed what I would call the "Sherlock style". Someone already mentioned it, I never got the feeling that I was watching the show which blew me anyway during its first six episodes, especially visually. I always loved the show because it was different, because it was a tv show with the feeling of a movie, because it was fascinating on a visual as well as on a story-telling level. And now we're getting scenes with Mary in combat situations which make me think 'God, I have seen this a thousand times before, can it get anymore ordinary...?'. So many things felt uninspired, from the scene with Mary more or less giving birth in a car and behaving like a lunatic (how many times have I seen this before on tv or in a movie?) to Mary's death scene. Yes, the setting with the aquarium was fascinating, but in that case the setting wasn't enough.

And since I'm talking about 'not enough': I know that Mark said that ultimately it's a show about Sherlock and John. And after TST I'm really, really hoping that he's not only talking about it, but that they're also doing it. Again. And very, very soon. Because boy, at the moment I feel like Tom Hanks in "Sleepless in Seattle" when he's talking about missing his dead wife: I miss the boys so much that it hurts. 

I agree with you so much. I cannot even say what it is that I miss, it is really a "feeling" that is the result of so many things.
Especially the "I've seen it before", yes! I love how Sherlock was always sth different.

I am even more convinced now that three people don't work very well in a close relationship. I am not against married people having close friends, but this was Mary running off with the friend while John was at home, or the other way round, and she was the person connecting scenes when I think it should have been Sherlock. John lived in both places at once and felt so empty as a character, not even bouncing off Sherlock or reacting to him till the very end. I missed John! Sherlock was there, especially when he was with Mycroft, but John?

They could have gone to Angelos, the two of them. To have a break, to talk...
they didn't get friendship moments without Mary

"It is what it is."

January 2, 2017 9:30 am  #199

You are so right, Whisky. And even when John was there with Sherlock, most of the time Mary was there with them. The scenes at the beginning with clients in 221B, of course it's not just Sherlock and John, no, of course Mary has to be there with them. And although I understand that this was an episode about Mary (which we needed to do some explaining about her character - but Jesus, the explaining is still not done yet!), it just didn't reach me. Yes, John felt like such an empty character most of the time. But basically so many things felt so empty, sinply because it wasn't the two of them against the rest of the world.  

So even if this episode is only one part of three episodes which will lead to the boys being back together again (which I'll only believe when I see it...), for me it also is the fifth wasted episode in a row since TEH where Sherlock's and John's relationship is concerned. It may all make sense in the end, it may all add up... but I don't like that before it all may (or may not) make sense to me, the show didn't work for me for such a long time. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 2, 2017 9:30 am  #200

Vhanja wrote:

Wasn't there a scene now with the Bus Lady sitting with a Culverton commercial next to her?

There actually was! The commercial says "He's back" obviously (seen on the right, under russian TV channel logo).

Here's a link to the screenshot as I can't insert it to the post directly.https://postimg.org/image/f2uqglrpt/

Last edited by mitjay (January 2, 2017 9:31 am)

Board footera