BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2017 12:27 am  #161

Re: First impressons and discussions

I don't know... this episode just showed me that their relationship was doomed from the start. She has one of the greatest minds at disposal (Sherlock) and a very loyal and capable solider as a husband, and yet she again choose to keep them in the dark and do her own thing. 

She would never trust them enough to be what John would've wanted her to be. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 2, 2017 12:30 am  #162

Whisky wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

Everyone being upset that John is OOC in blaming Sherlock for Mary's death.  My opinion is that there is no such thing as In Character when it comes to grief.  Everyone is OOC when gripped by that kind of pain.  I know from experience that you will say and do things that you would never have imagined of yourself.  To the point where loved ones may even comment that you are not yourself.  I think John's immediate reaction is totally understandable.

You are absolutely right. But to me, it didn't feel immediate. It felt like a set-up for another relationship-resolving arc. I don't mean John's grief as such feels wrong. But the way it is shown, or rather, used... I am not sure it is possible to seperate that, but I agree with you. It just felt more than just showing someone grieving, and doing irrational things in grief.

I just have to add, we do not know exactly how much time passed between Mary's death and Sherlock showing up at his place.  However, there is no timeline for grief.  And I would imagine having a loved one die of a gunshot wound in my arms would have a long lasting effect on me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 2, 2017 12:32 am  #163

On a bit of a lighter note as I think my brain needs a little break from theorising.

How cute did Sherlock look with his coat half on and half off munching on ginger nuts.

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

January 2, 2017 12:33 am  #164

Vhanja wrote:

I don't know... this episode just showed me that their relationship was doomed from the start. She has one of the greatest minds at disposal (Sherlock) and a very loyal and capable solider as a husband, and yet she again choose to keep them in the dark and do her own thing. 

She would never trust them enough to be what John would've wanted her to be. 

That's really her biggest character flaw is that she's unable to trust people, because of her background.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 2, 2017 12:33 am  #165

Do you think there's a connection between Mary's death (if she's really dead and not just undercover) and the promise from Moriarty to burn the heart out of Sherlock? Like what's the worst you can do except bringing his John up against him?

And Mary runs away from her family to save everyone's life and then she sacrisfies herself for Sherlock when her life she faught for six years is okay again?

-----------------------------------------
Just being a curl.

January 2, 2017 12:34 am  #166

Did anyone feel Sherlock might be talking about his own death too at the end?  After all, he has just escaped death (again) thanks to Mary.

January 2, 2017 12:37 am  #167

But John wasn't even there when Mary got shot. He doesn't know what happened, yet he still blames Sherlock? Because of a vow? It makes no sense.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 2, 2017 12:37 am  #168

And just before I call it a night - I really like the funny bits!  I had forgotten what a funny show it is!

January 2, 2017 12:42 am  #169

Vhanja wrote:

But John wasn't even there when Mary got shot. He doesn't know what happened, yet he still blames Sherlock? Because of a vow? It makes no sense.

This also confuses me. Maybe guilt but IDK either.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 2, 2017 12:42 am  #170

Swanpride wrote:

My favourite as Mycroft calling Rosalind "functional".

​Oh yes! I love that part! It cracked me up!

​And the part when Sherlock lectures her about the rattle!

Last edited by Punch me in the face (January 2, 2017 12:44 am)

Just like old times...

January 2, 2017 12:48 am  #171

When Sherlock and Mary are talking on the phone before the boys with Lestrade enter the dead boy's house, Mary says that secretaries always know everything.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 2, 2017 12:55 am  #172

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

Oh, and "love" was established as a code word, did you guys notice that?

Yeah, which sets it up nicely for the "I love you" which is gonna appear at some point in the next two eps.

Do you think iou - ilu? Connected.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 2, 2017 1:03 am  #173

There are a lot of shots of mirrors and mirror images in TST.

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

January 2, 2017 1:12 am  #174

Code names. Antatica - Mycroft the Iceman . Lansdale - must be Sir Edwin. Love - Lady Smalwood . So Sherlock is Porlock !

January 2, 2017 1:15 am  #175

Mothonthemantel wrote:

Code names. Antatica - Mycroft the Iceman . Lansdale - must be Sir Edwin. Love - Lady Smalwood . So Sherlock is Porlock !

I didn't get that. Does it have a special meaning? Or is it just supposed to be funny because it sounds alike?

Last edited by ewige (January 2, 2017 1:19 am)

-----

January 2, 2017 1:24 am  #176

I feel like escaping into the innocence that was S1 and S2.

Team Hudders!

January 2, 2017 1:44 am  #177

There is a second boy in the Redbeard flashback but it couldn't be Mycroft because he's not obviously taller than Sherlock, and seven years mean a lot at this age. A friend? Sherrinford?

-----

January 2, 2017 2:04 am  #178

Okay, I've just rewatched that bit - it was John who took his mobile from the nightstand.

-----

January 2, 2017 2:13 am  #179

Swanpride wrote:

I thought that the secretary was Porlock?

Well maybe. But would a secretary get a codename. Plus ends in lock ?

January 2, 2017 2:15 am  #180

Interesting when John says "so many lies and I don't just mean you.." to Mary. Does he also mean himself?

Board footera