BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 1, 2017 11:45 pm  #121

Re: First impressons and discussions

Sherlock's Curl wrote:

ewige wrote:

I sort of want to think that he's texting with Sherlock but I have no reason for that except for my wishful thinking. However, that would explain why Sherlock feels guilty too.

oh you're bringing bad ideas to my brain.

I know it doesn't fit at all: John wouldn't as if Sherlock was a night owl. Sherlock usually signs is texts. BUT such an exchange between them would explain the emotional puzzle this episode presented me with.
It also would make John even more of an asshole of a husband, tho.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 1, 2017 11:46 pm  #122

Vhanja wrote:

Whisky - I think I agree with everything you wrote.

If I were to sum up my thougths and impressions in one word, it would be - confused.

I can only sign this.
I hope the other episodes will make up for this and that everything will make sense in the end.

January 1, 2017 11:47 pm  #123

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Had to leave my laptop for a moment and came back to find my cat laying on the keyboard.  The above is what he wanted to post.  Apparently he feels the same way as I do about the episode.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 1, 2017 11:47 pm  #124

I think they were both assholes as a partner, to be honest. Mary for running away instead of including John. John for having his (almost) affair. They weren't really being a loving unity, either of them.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 1, 2017 11:52 pm  #125

Oh, and "love" was established as a code word, did you guys notice that?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 1, 2017 11:52 pm  #126

Hello, another new face here but I really needed a place to talk about this now .

The whole episode had a surreal feeling to me... but I don't think they would do another Mind-Palace-episode like the Abominable Bride, would they?

I loved Mycroft though. It seems the more John and Sherlock drift apart the closer Sherlock and Mycroft get. It reminded me of the beginning of TEH.
I found the Sherrinford part a bit confusing. Mycroft looks into his empty fridge, closes it, takes a takeaway-menu, sees the "13.00"-post-it, looks at his watch... and calls Sherrinford... instead of ordering something to eat.

"It takes very special qualities to devote one's life to problems with no attainable solutions and to poking around in dead people's garbage: Words like 'masochistic', 'nosy,' and 'completely batty' spring to mind."
Paul Bahn. 1989. Bluff Your Way in Archaeology.

January 1, 2017 11:54 pm  #127

Ichneumon wrote:

Hello, another new face here but I really needed a place to talk about this now .

The whole episode had a surreal feeling to me... but I don't think they would do another Mind-Palace-episode like the Abominable Bride, would they?

I loved Mycroft though. It seems the more John and Sherlock drift apart the closer Sherlock and Mycroft get. It reminded me of the beginning of TEH.
I found the Sherrinford part a bit confusing. Mycroft looks into his empty fridge, closes it, takes a takeaway-menu, sees the "13.00"-post-it, looks at his watch... and calls Sherrinford... instead of ordering something to eat.

Hi and welcome!

Yeah, that fridge bit was very confusing! Is it his fridge at teh office? I don't know, it's sort of stand-alone and the walls around it look to shabby for it being Mike's place.

-----

January 1, 2017 11:55 pm  #128

Vhanja wrote:

Yeah!
I was actually holding my breath for Mycroft or Sherlock saying  "I love" to each other during their phone call

-----

January 1, 2017 11:56 pm  #129

Ichneumon wrote:

Welcome to the forums!  Yes, I felt I didn't really get that bit.  Another part I need to watch again.  Maybe the significance will be revealed later.  And Sherrinford was the word for the third episode ... but could also maybe be the overarching theme. 

January 1, 2017 11:56 pm  #130

that note, yes, I am really curious what John wrote. now I think about it -
It also means that there is still a connection. explaining things or asking for things is not shutting out. it's communication. (which John and Mary should have done more...)

Poor Molly! She reminds me of Hermione in Harry Potter. One day, she will shout at both of them "I am not an owl!" She needs to stand her own ground. But she has such a good heart, she will always try to help and build bridges and help Sherlock and John bridge their fights and miscommunication. Maybe it's the acting, too. The way she stands there, holding the baby, was really moving.

Sherlock doesn't seem heartbroken over Mary, does he? And also not guilty, which I think logicL but also find strange. So he confesses a mistake, but Mycroft said he is so emotional now, but I don't see him there yet. He is, again, drowning his feelings in work. Even says so. He has been there before. Is his character developing for real?

Moftiss succeeded in the focus on relationships. The  case, though quite nice, somehow takes second place behind all this "family confusion".

"It is what it is."

January 1, 2017 11:57 pm  #131

Vhanja wrote:

Yes, I did!  Funny that we were talking about Sherlock's "I love you" possibly being a code.

January 1, 2017 11:58 pm  #132

Lol, Whisky, you made my day. "I am not an owl!" Yes, Molly needs to stand up to herself like Hermione - thank you so much for that reference. I really needed that.

Everybody talk about a note from John to Sherlock. I don't remember such a thing, when did this happen? 

Team Hudders!

January 1, 2017 11:59 pm  #133

I didn't want Mary to be redeemed but think she sort of was.
When she said Go to hell. . maybe she meant caring and loving John when he is whatever he is - is hell.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 2, 2017 12:00 am  #134

@Vhanja -Wasn't that the paper Molly gave Sherlock in the scene at the door?

I interpreted it that way. Can be wrong, I was still processing other things at that point.... it all happened rather quickly 

Last edited by Whisky (January 2, 2017 12:01 am)

"It is what it is."

January 2, 2017 12:01 am  #135

Oh, yes. But why would she tell Sherlock her comment from John if he had already written him a note?

Team Hudders!

January 2, 2017 12:03 am  #136

The note is interesting, because Molly already verbally passed on the message - so what else did the note say?  Is this the start of a case?

January 2, 2017 12:03 am  #137

Yep, that was the paper!

The ep feels absolutely not well-rounded. I wonder whether it's a different director or just because there are too many interconnected threads leading to the rest of the season. With Sherlock talking metaphysics and interconnected paths and probabilities all the time...

-----

January 2, 2017 12:04 am  #138

Liberty wrote:

The note is interesting, because Molly already verbally passed on the message - so what else did the note say?  Is this the start of a case?

We need to see the note. Like, two hours ago.

-----

January 2, 2017 12:05 am  #139

I still cant get over the fact that mary sacrificed herself. Didnt she care about john and the baby? This just doesnt make sense to me...

January 2, 2017 12:06 am  #140

I don't understand anything. I need to watch the episode again.

But it DID confirm that all the pictures and snippits we've seen of the dog, the christening, Mary and John as happy parents etc meant absolutely nothing, zero, zip, zilch, in the grand scheme of things.

It seemed as if they showed us a lot, but they didn't show us anything.

Last edited by Vhanja (January 2, 2017 12:08 am)

Team Hudders!

Board footera