BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 20, 2016 2:47 pm  #41

Re: Series 4 promo articles

The above mentioned radiotimes review mentions babies, dogs and Uncle Sherlock too... sounds a bit like a sitcom, TBH....

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 20, 2016 7:02 pm  #42

I think it's becoming more and more clear that the baby/dog/Uncle Sherlock stuff is just the light start to an eventually dark and surprising episode.  I honestly don't think it's going to be like a sitcom.

Last edited by Liberty (December 20, 2016 7:07 pm)

December 20, 2016 8:05 pm  #43

Liberty wrote:

I think it's becoming more and more clear that the baby/dog/Uncle Sherlock stuff is just the light start to an eventually dark and surprising episode.  I honestly don't think it's going to be like a sitcom.

THIS!

They get everyone (well, at least the casuals) all warm and cozy and then drop the hammer. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 20, 2016 9:22 pm  #44

Exactly!

December 28, 2016 9:50 pm  #45

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 28, 2016 9:59 pm  #46

Thank you for posting the article! I've seen quotes from it before but it's great to read everything in context!

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

December 28, 2016 10:46 pm  #47

Thanks for posting this!

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

December 30, 2016 1:20 pm  #48

Slightly spoilery "The Six Thatchers" review.
Not very encouraging, but confirming some thoughts I had about it for a while:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/29/arts/television/review-sherlock-season-four.html?_r=0

Do we have anoter TEH on the horizon?

December 30, 2016 1:24 pm  #49

December 30, 2016 1:31 pm  #50

nakahara wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/29/arts/television/review-sherlock-season-four.html?_r=0

That "appointment in Sammarah" thing sounds interesting ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 30, 2016 2:27 pm  #51

nakahara wrote:

Being inhuman was on of the most interesting things about Sherlock?!?

He's not watching the same show I am.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 30, 2016 3:28 pm  #52

I got the same impression. Another one who never grasped that the show was not about the cases in the first place and who did not like the humanisation of Sherlock. I think they will have to accept that this is not the show they thought it was. What I do not understand, however, is that they arrived at this idea at all. Sherlock was never inhuman. We were shown his other side from ASiP on. This is the story they have been telling all along. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 30, 2016 3:34 pm  #53

If people who don't get the show don't like TST we will most likely love it, right? :-D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 30, 2016 4:24 pm  #54

Indeed. Let us take this as a good sign. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 30, 2016 5:27 pm  #55

Not sure if this is the rigth place, but this was published today - Martin and Amanda Sherlock Trivia Quiz (having to remember lines from the show). Quite funny.

And one yesterday with Mark and Steven:

Last edited by Vhanja (December 30, 2016 5:27 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 30, 2016 5:36 pm  #56

Mark "Gattiss"!  I shouldn't laugh, I've been guilty of pronouncing it like that too.  I know he says it's obvious, but surnames don't always follow the rules.  

December 30, 2016 5:39 pm  #57

Schmiezi wrote:

nakahara wrote:

That "appointment in Sammarah" thing sounds interesting ...

My first thought was that it confirms my worst fears (Uncle Sherlock), but then my worst fears aren't really that bad, and I don't mind a bit of cuteness and comedy at the beginning of the episode.  

I thought right away that I knew what/who the appointment in Samarrah was about, but maybe the analogy goes further than I'm thinking.  And maybe confirms something  .... I can't really discuss this because spoilers!   If I remember, I might take it over to the other thread. 

December 30, 2016 11:18 pm  #58

December 30, 2016 11:47 pm  #59

SusiGo wrote:

I got the same impression. Another one who never grasped that the show was not about the cases in the first place and who did not like the humanisation of Sherlock. I think they will have to accept that this is not the show they thought it was. What I do not understand, however, is that they arrived at this idea at all. Sherlock was never inhuman. We were shown his other side from ASiP on. This is the story they have been telling all along. 

I believe the reviewer called Sherlock "inhuman" only in response to the language the authors themselves use when speaking about Sherlock. They constantly mention his "humanisation", in one interview they even mentioned that John "trains Sherlock to be human"... so that must mean he was "inhuman" before.
The reviewer seems to suggest (between the lines) that Sherlock was human enough already in S1 and that he was a likable and fresh character even then, before they "humanised" him through constant abuse from other characters.
Personally, I am glad to have read this review. It mentally prepared me for an episode which would be

Mary-centric
with token case which was heavily featured in the promos but which would be kicked aside carelessly in the actual episode
with Uncle Sherlock
and with John and Sherlock who no more enjoy each others company

Now, I can only be pleasantly surprised when these points prove untrue by some lucky chance. 

December 31, 2016 8:59 am  #60

Thank you!  I'm interested in this: "The first episode of S4 takes place some time after S3 and John and Sherlock are back to solving crimes together".  I'm not sure what they mean by "some time" but I had wondered if we were going to see something directly after the end of TAB, and before Mary has the baby.  Apparently not.  Or maybe it's whizzed through or in flashback.   Anyway, we know that some of it can't be too long after S3 as there is still a baby!  

Now am I right in thinking that although S3 was aired in January 2014, it actually ended in the "future", at the beginning of 2015?   I keep thinking that it ended after Christmas 2013/the tarmac scene at the beginning of 2014, but they had actually moved forward, hadn't they?  Or am I wrong?  Anyway, the baby would be born in early 2015 (I'm still confused about the Telegraph announcement - but maybe that was just a fun way to reveal the name, rather than the date having any significance).   And I suppose we don't know how far S4 will take us after that.  It could catch up to present day or beyond (except that the hairstyles don't seem to change much, so maybe not).

Board footera