BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 11, 2016 10:21 am  #281

Re: When a beloved celebrity dies

So many names who accompanied my life...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

November 11, 2016 2:30 pm  #282

So sorry to hear about Leonard Cohen.... another bright light inside this dark valley was extinguished...

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 11, 2016 7:43 pm  #283

Oh my god... I just heard about this a moment ago!     Admit my first reaction was "Da**it, 2016!"  Again?!  I never followed him much or was well-versed in a lot of his work, but it was hard not to have heard of the greatness of the man several times, and his beautiful "Hallelujah" I loved.  So sorry to hear.....

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

December 26, 2016 1:16 pm  #284

I can´t believe it.

Choir Alexander yesterday and now George Michael.... 
RIP George.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 26, 2016 1:30 pm  #285

December 27, 2016 6:58 pm  #286

And R.I.P Carry Fisher. 

What are you up to, 2016? How many heroes can you cram into one year - or even the last couple of days of the year?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 27, 2016 7:11 pm  #287

I was just about to post the same.....  seriously just said 'Oh come on, 2016!' aloud...      
Carrie was such an important figure, too... it was so heartwarming getting to see her and Harrison one last time in Star Wars.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

December 27, 2016 7:19 pm  #288

That´s awful news.... 
Princess Leia was my hero when I was young....
RIP Carrie, you´re gone too soon.... 

December 27, 2016 8:29 pm  #289

Princess Leia, and Carrie Fisher was a female hero and icon. 

I hope she may rest in peace. 

And as for 2016. Go to hell where you belong. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 27, 2016 8:42 pm  #290

I know people die but this year has been ridiculous! 

RIP to all those lost.

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

December 28, 2016 12:17 am  #291

I have to say I've never seen Star Wars and the only movie she appeared in that I've seen was, I think, When Harry Met Sally.  Still, I think it's unfortunate that she died, since what I know about her she was a nice person and a beloved actor.  She was the same age as my dad.

Clueing for looks.

February 16, 2017 1:57 am  #292

I'm not expecting an outpouring of sadness from you other members here, since this celebrity, as far as I'm aware, is really famous in Canada but not elsewhere.  All the same, I'm very sad that Stuart McLean has died.  He wrote and told stories based around his characters he had created - an average Canadian family and their friends.  The title of the stories, in general, was called Vinyl Café after the record store that one of the main characters, Dave, owned.  Most of the stories revolved around him, his wife, and his kids, but other characters, like his neighbours, friends, and extended family were in various stories.  Much of them were funny, but they could also be touching and tear-inducing.  Stuart McLean had a unique way of telling his stories out loud and wrote so many that were all really good.  He would tell them on a weekly radio show but also published books of collections of them and recorded them on CD to buy.  I have many memories of listening to them with my family at home or on car rides.  I didn't always have time to listen to the radio show, but it was always so good.  The characters feel like people you know, and as time passed in real life so would time pass in the stories, the kids would grow up and have different adventures as that would happen.  I'm sad that we won't get to hear any more about them.  Stuart McLean really was a fixture in Canadian culture.

Clueing for looks.

February 16, 2017 3:18 am  #293

I sadly can't say I heard about him before; but he sounds lovely.
I'm sorry that he's gone!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 26, 2017 10:23 pm  #294

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

February 27, 2017 1:22 am  #295

Great guy and a fine actor.  His characters always stood out in any ensemble cast and when he had a chance to lead he had the stuff.  Two of my favorite roles of his were in Big Love and A Simple Plan.
Very sad.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 27, 2017 8:30 am  #296

And he was only 61. "Apollo 13" is one of those movies I can watch again and again, and that has a lot to do with the great ensemble - Tom Hanks, Bill Paxton and Kevin Bacon are great together. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 27, 2017 8:35 am  #297

I have to say, I remember Bill Paxton the best from Titanic. Loved his performance.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 27, 2017 9:09 am  #298

I also remember him from Titanic. That's sad!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

February 27, 2017 10:08 am  #299

I have to admit that I had to look up his role in "Titanic"... I always forget about those modern scenes (probably because I'm not very fond of them...). 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 28, 2017 1:54 pm  #300

Only 61. It's always sad when life is too short.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

Board footera