BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 20, 2016 6:44 pm  #81

Re: The Series 4 Johnlock speculation thread (contains spoilers)

ewige wrote:

Maybe the shocking news about John "Tree Continents" Watson is that he indeed is shooting blanks - and knows it
@tonnaree

*giggle*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 20, 2016 6:56 pm  #82

I think lots of things could be groundbreaking, but I really honestly suspect that whatever it is ... it's a surprise.  Having the main characters in a show fall in love is not groundbreaking.  And I really hope that a same sex relationship is not groundbreaking (thank goodness that ground has already been broken!). 

And even suppose John and Sherlock did get together, and that Moftiss believed that they did in canon ... that would be a beginning, rather than an ending.  We'd expect to see them continuing their adventures, living together at Baker Street.

I also think that whatever it is, it's unlikely to be the one and only thing that they've sincerely said is not going to happen.  My wild guess is that it's something to do with overlap with "real life", but that really is just a guess.   I can also think of any number of plot points that would be more startling than Johnlock, or Sherlolly, or whatever.  I just don't know, and I don't think any of us really do, unless we have insider information!   Johnlock is just one, not very likely possibility, I think. 

December 20, 2016 8:18 pm  #83

Liberty wrote:

I think lots of things could be groundbreaking, but I really honestly suspect that whatever it is ... 

Well, the person who said that the series will be groundbreaking was Amanda Abbington, so it seems very likely to me this "groundbreaking" thing will have to do with Mary...
Also, the soundtrack to TST seems to feature suspiciously many Mary-centric pieces....

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 20, 2016 8:23 pm  #84

On the other hand, why did Steven Moffat declare Sherlock to be his favourite villain?
Why did Martin mention Sherlock "kills a lot"?
Any theories on that?

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 20, 2016 8:32 pm  #85

No fully-formed theory, but it has been on a mind for a while that the villain of TFP is going to be close to home - and one of the possibilities is that Sherlock is actually the villain.  I don't know how or why or what, but it's something that has occured to me.  I still kind of like the idea of "Sherrinford" being Sherlock.   And I don't think he would actually be a villain in the end, but he might seem to be for a while. 

They did play with this idea a little in ASIP (Sally suggesting that Sherlock would one day create a murder), and again in TRF, and of course he did actually murder somebody in HLV.  But I think we've always been alongside him - I think it's possible that this time we won't be for a while.

Of course, I still have lots of other wild ideas - the villain being Mycroft, etc.  Possibly even one of the others like Mrs Hudson or Molly, although I don't think it's them, particularly not Mrs Hudson.  John would be a big surprise.  It's in my mind that we haven't had a villain announced for TFP. 

December 20, 2016 8:44 pm  #86

Liberty wrote:

My wild guess is that it's something to do with overlap with "real life", but that really is just a guess.

You know what? I have suspected the same sometimes. But I have no idea what on earth that could possibly be!
Some completeley mad and wtf stuff comes to my mind, like Martin playing a "real life guy" who got traumatized by war (Afghanistan) and now imagines he met a modern Sherlock Holmes. (Or the other way round, Ben playing someone who imagines a modern Dr. Watson.) And/or Ben or Martin playing themselves at some point in s4???
But all of this would be an extreme risk. How could they ever pull that off, all of this could go completely wrong.

Last edited by Rache (December 20, 2016 8:49 pm)

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

December 20, 2016 8:54 pm  #87

If they made this "groundbreaking" and "shocking" thing Johnlock, that would go completely against their preferred "softly, softly". Instead of treating gay relationship as something natural, they hype it as something shocking and never before seen. I doubt that is the way Moftiss would want to present and portray gay relationships in tv.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 20, 2016 9:00 pm  #88

It´s not that the gay relationship would be groundbreaking in itself - but that two famous literary figures would be depicted as a gay couple openly for the first time in history of SH adaptations.

December 20, 2016 9:02 pm  #89

I agree. It would be tv history, because there has never been (as far as I know) any Sherlock and John in a gay relationship before. However, hyping it up that way is still the opposite of the "softly, softly" approach.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 20, 2016 9:17 pm  #90

Well, Steven Moffat has created Vastra and Jenny in Doctr Who,  who are versions of Holmes and Watson and are a same-sex couple (in the "softly, softly" sense of it just not being an issue!).  So it would not be groundbreaking for him.

Rache, well it does seem to be something that it's possible that they couldn't pull off ... which I think leaves the field very open!

December 20, 2016 9:46 pm  #91

Vastra and Jenny are only known to Doctor Who viewers (I didn´t know about them at all although I watch DW sometimes) while Sherlock and John are known all around the world for 120 years. So I don´t think it´s the same. It´s like comparing the marriage of some common couple to royal marriage - which one of them would be groundbreaking for the public, what do you think?

December 20, 2016 9:51 pm  #92

So my "dark" theory about the scene seems to be correct after all... but I´m sad to see it confirmed.

December 20, 2016 9:55 pm  #93

It breaks my heart, if that is true. He must have had good reason... but still... no. 

I would still prefer watching it myself... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 20, 2016 9:57 pm  #94

I still prefer seeing it with my own eyes... until then I'm in denial... horrified, but in denial 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 20, 2016 10:11 pm  #95

The closer we're getting to episodes the more nervous I'm becoming and information like this is not helping haha.

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

December 20, 2016 10:27 pm  #96

Why would this speak against Johnlock in any way? Just wondering. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 20, 2016 10:39 pm  #97

My theory was not against Johnlock, it was only that it´s an attack in that morgue scene....

Official ČT site has not any new trailers loaded, but the leak still seems to be imminent....

December 20, 2016 10:58 pm  #98

I'm not okay. I'm not.

I have to watch this clutching my Sherlie teddy I can tell.

Gah. I'm supposed to be asleep now... but how??

This is dark

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

December 20, 2016 11:19 pm  #99

I love Czechs! Wonderful work!

I like this trailer much more than an official BBC one, it´s positively devilish! 

BTW, did you notice the bullet being shot at Sherlock in the clip? Maybe we will return to the HLV after all?

December 20, 2016 11:33 pm  #100

It´s official - John is beating Sherlock like shit:

Board footera