BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 20, 2016 7:49 am  #1

Attack in Berlin

It just came to our news that a terrorist attacked people on the Christmas fair in Berlin and killed 12 people.

Please, our German friends, are you all right???

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 20, 2016 8:07 am  #2

Re: Attack in Berlin

That's so terrible. I can't find words.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

December 20, 2016 8:09 am  #3

Words can´t convey how dismayed I am.

Be strong, Berliners!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 20, 2016 8:15 am  #4

Oh god this is horrible. I went to bed yesterday evening without watching the news. I just saw your post here. It' s apparently the same thing that happened in Nice, France this summer.

I don't live in Berlin, so I'm fine, but an old school friend of mine lives there. I hope noone here has family or friends there.

Last edited by Rache (December 20, 2016 8:25 am)

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

December 20, 2016 9:33 am  #5

It is horrible and, sad to day, not unexpected. Why should Germany be spared when so many other countries have suffered? I do not live in Berlin but I have been more than once to this Christmas market with my family and only this summer I was in exactly the same place where the attack happened. Some people I know in Berlin have confirmed via Facebook that they are safe. One of the advantages of social media. 

This attack once again shows how vulnerable every society is to people who do have not any scruples whatsoever. They do not even need guns or bomb-building materials, just an ordinary lorry. Hundreds of thousands of lorries driving around the country every day and then one is turned into a deadly weapon. You only need people fanatical enough and every place becomes dangerous. 

I can only repeat what has been said after the attacks in France and Belgium and everywhere else. We must not give in to these threats. We must not let other dictate how to live our lives. True, yesterday I wanted to go to a Christmas market and did not go because I could not make it. And felt strangely relieved that I had not gone although it was nowhere near Berlin. But next time I will hopefully go and the same goes for concerts, sports events, and everything else. As for the question what to do about terrorism, I sadly do not have an answer. 

Last edited by SusiGo (December 20, 2016 9:34 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 20, 2016 9:57 am  #6

I am sorry to hear what happened. It's such a horrible act! 

My best friend visited the Christmas markets in Berlin just 2 weeks ago... that's scary. And it's close. 
I know I shouldn't be, but I'm actually a little concerned about going out on New Years Eve in Copenhagen now. But I know we can't let them win like that 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 20, 2016 11:19 am  #7

How horrible, there really aren't words.  I hope everyone here and their friends and family are safe.

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

December 20, 2016 2:18 pm  #8

SusiGo wrote:

I can only repeat what has been said after the attacks in France and Belgium and everywhere else. We must not give in to these threats. We must not let other dictate how to live our lives. True, yesterday I wanted to go to a Christmas market and did not go because I could not make it. And felt strangely relieved that I had not gone although it was nowhere near Berlin. But next time I will hopefully go and the same goes for concerts, sports events, and everything else. As for the question what to do about terrorism, I sadly do not have an answer. 

You are absolutely right, Susi. That's why I will go to a Christmas market tomorrow with some colleagues and I already have concert ticktes for January and February.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

Board footera