BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 6, 2016 5:24 am  #1

Holmes and Watson (2018)

A Hollywood adaptation of ACD's mysteries is currently being filmed. Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly will star as Holmes and Watson in a humorous take on the classic stories. It will also feature Rob Brydon as Lestrade, Kelly MacDonald as Mrs Hudson and Rebecca Hall as Dr. Grace Hart (an original character?).

Is this something Sherlockians should be looking forward to with excitement, or dread?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 6, 2016 7:22 am  #2

Re: Holmes and Watson (2018)

I do not know about Sherlockians in general but it does not seem to be the film I would watch. And tbh, I am a bit surprised to find the wonderful Rebecca Hall in the cast. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 6, 2016 7:33 am  #3

It could be awful or really funny!  I like John C Reilly and Will Ferrell can be good too.  And there can never be too many Sherlock Holmes adaptations!  I'll probably watch it when it comes to Netflix or Prime. 

December 6, 2016 7:34 am  #4

ukaunz wrote:

Is this something Sherlockians should be looking forward to with excitement, or dread?

I don't know either, but I did go from uncertain/curious 'huh' when I started to read the sentence, to verbally going 'wut??'.      Where did you hear about this?
(as far as good films go, c'moon!  where's our last/follow-up film in the RDJ franchise??)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

December 19, 2016 6:56 pm  #5

I'm not sure if it was for this but something, apparently Sherlock related, was being filmed in Bloomsbury, London today.

https://twitter.com/Trydwr/status/810855125141061632

https://twitter.com/Edgillwhl/status/810856319645286400

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

December 19, 2016 7:15 pm  #6

To me, Sherlock Holmes is so quintessential English (like Harry Potter), I have no interest in seeing an American version.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 19, 2016 7:26 pm  #7

I agree that the stories feel very English, but they were written by a Scot, after all!  And the person that Sherlock Holmes was supposedly based on (Joseph Bell) was also Scottish.  So I think there's room for manoeuvre over his nationality! 

I liked House, who was kind of a modern, American, medical version of Holmes. (Although played by an Englishman, just to confuse the issue even more!).   I haven't seen Elementary, so don't even know if Jonny Lee Miller (English) plays him as English or American!

December 19, 2016 7:28 pm  #8

Well, British, then. I tried to avoid using that term as I have experienced it can ruffle some feathers. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 19, 2016 7:28 pm  #9

I can't imagine an American version either and not a kind of Will Ferrell and John Reilly comedy type, but who knows. It's not something I am going to actively seek out to watch I don't think.

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

October 14, 2018 2:25 pm  #10

I didn't realize there was a topic for this already. I'll go delete mine. The trailer for this is out now. While some of it was sort of funny, it also looks kind of stupid. It looks like it will contain a lot of references to the present, which seems like it could get tiresome.

Clueing for looks.

October 14, 2018 2:58 pm  #11

It does look a bit juvenile: not one I'll be rushing to watch, which is a shame because it is quite a good cast. However, I admit I did enjoy Stepbrothers, so I'll reserve judgment and might actually enjoy this one.  Probably, just the sort of thing to stream on a wet winter Sunday, when you've got a cold!

Board footera