BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 19, 2016 9:14 am  #1

Series 4 promo articles

I thought it might be a good idea to put all the press articles in one place.

Here's one from the Telegraph:

Having a baby on Sherlock set made me 'less precious' about my acting, Benedict Cumberbatch says

Generations of actors may have lived by the rule “never work with children or animals”, but not so Benedict Cumberbatch.

The actor, a new father, has said working with a baby on the set of Sherlock actually improved his performance, stopping him from being too precious about his scenes.

Cumberbatch, who has one son with his wife Sophie Hunter and another baby on the way, said having a new infant colleague for the fourth series of Sherlock compelled the usual cast to work around the baby’s schedule.

The character is now known to be Rosamund, the newborn daughter of John and Mary Watson, played by Martin Freeman and Amanda Abbington.

Speaking ahead of the New Year’s Day episode, Cumberbatch said: “The babies have been pretty amazing.

“I’m a father and I know how difficult it is to get anything in tune with a baby’s schedule.

“It keeps you in the moment and it stops you being precious about your work. 

“I love those elements that make it more difficult.”

As is conventional in television, the one baby character will be played by several real-life babies, with filming taking place in between naps and feeds under close supervision.

When asked about the phrase “never work with children or animals” and whether it had proved true, Freeman added: “I would go along with that - the babies were pretty easy actually.

“The dog not so much.  I love dogs, I love animals and I love children but that adage comes about for a reason.

“Every time I read any script with loads of kids and animals I think we’ll remember that saying it is there for a reason. 

“When it works it’s joyous but getting it to work can be tricky.”

Cumberbatch said of his animal co-stars: “We had an interesting dog in the first episode.

“He was very sweet but was a bit afraid of being in the centre of town, afraid of too many people and not great on hard surfaces. “We were in Borough Market, with lots of people around, on concrete and tarmac.

“Cut to Amanda literally pulling a bloodhound around London who was supposed to pull her around London. That was fun.”

The fourth series of Sherlock starts on Sunday, January 1 at 8.30pm on BBC One.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/18/having-baby-sherlock-set-made-less-precious-acting-benedict/

Last edited by ukaunz (December 19, 2016 9:15 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 19, 2016 10:56 am  #2

December 19, 2016 12:30 pm  #3

Re: Series 4 promo articles

Wonderful idea. Thank you very much for this nice thread.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 19, 2016 1:24 pm  #4

Thank you! I'll have a look at these soon! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 19, 2016 3:14 pm  #5

Uh, huh....

We always like to pretend he’s an absolute lunatic but he does things well and he straightforwardly adores John and Mary, they’re his best friends.

How has Mary affected their relationship?

Mary hasn’t affected the relationship with John and Sherlock at all. Mary and Sherlock like each other, I think Sherlock might have initially worried that he was losing his best pal but now he’s got two of them. She herself adores Sherlock and those two actually have a quite separate friendship from Sherlock and Watson, so she hasn’t affected it at all, she’s enhanced it if she’s done anything.

LOL, I think it´s official. Steven Mofftat suffers from retrograde amnesia!
Not only does he not remember the entirety of HLV, he also denies that she affected the relationship between John and Sherlock - that all in a situation where Martin Freeman clearly says that there´s new dynamics in their relationship and that his character, John, has no time for Sherlock now. Hmmm... (shakes head)

Last edited by nakahara (December 19, 2016 3:15 pm)

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 19, 2016 3:20 pm  #6

From Martin Freeman´s interview:

John is very happy to have a loving relationship, very happy to be a father and a husband but he would miss the adventures like crazy. There’s a subconscious reason he fell in with a mad bloke who goes around killing a lot, why he’s ended up as his flat mate and not a librarian’s flatmate.

And now it´s official. It´s not Mary, suddenly it´s Sherlock who goes around killing a lot....

Thank you, Moftiss, that´s exactly what I loved on the original stories. The mad bloke who killed a lot of people indiscriminately....

December 19, 2016 3:46 pm  #7

Dogs are cute, Mary is such a good friend, Rosie is lovely, and I am sure there will be birds coming to sit on Sherlock’s shoulder to sing a song with him while he is doing the laundry in the woods ... oh no, wait, that was from Disneys Cinderella. Sorry, with all the love and happiness I got confused!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 19, 2016 4:16 pm  #8

What do we say in the German language? That are some toads to be gulped down..
No, but seriously... The only two interviews NOT mentioning sherlockjohnmaryrosiedoggypoopiesweetie are those from Loo and Rupert. And yes, apart from shrugging off some facts that were settled in S3, it blows up the importance unproportionately. And where is Smith mentioned? A couple of side sentences...

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 19, 2016 4:16 pm  #9

"Three Garridebs moment" according to this "new dynamics":

CRIMINAL: (shoots John)
SHERLOCK: (offers the hand to the criminal) Oh, my friend, let me shake your hand! I didn´t know you adored John that much!
JOHN: (groans and gasps)
SHERLOCK: (frowning) John, don´t wallow on the floor there! Come, greet this nice gentleman, I´m sure you´ll be best friends very soon!

December 19, 2016 4:17 pm  #10

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 19, 2016 4:55 pm  #11

Hahahaha!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 19, 2016 5:36 pm  #12

I had an idea as well:

They’re in a good place, they’re a loving married couple and it’s exciting.
Martin Freeman 

SHERLOCK: Well, we’re in a good place. It’s, um very affirming.
JOHN: You got that from a book.
SHERLOCK: Everyone got that from a book. 

I take it the Watson marriage will be as loving and real as Sherlock’s relationship with Janine.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 19, 2016 6:14 pm  #13

Oh sweet heavens, those Radio 4 interview are so full of crap. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 19, 2016 6:49 pm  #14

But I do think some of it makes sense.  I realised a while ago, that Sherlock really liking Mary helped to explain some of the apparent inconsistencies.   And in fact, them all liking each other helps that as well.  I hope they stick with this, and don't go down the route of some plot against Mary.  I suppose we'll see soon!

December 19, 2016 6:53 pm  #15

I hope Mary is revealed to be a true villain and dies a horrible death! 

I really do.

And not because johnlock.. I think this would make for a fabulous story.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 19, 2016 6:58 pm  #16

tonnaree wrote:

I hope Mary is revealed to be a true villain and dies a horrible death! 

I really do.

And not because johnlock.. I think this would make for a fabulous story.

I am completely with you!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 19, 2016 7:10 pm  #17

I kind of tentatively agree (that it would make a good story), but there are other reasons why I'm not really on board with it.  As I said, the fact that the three of them having genuine regard for each other actually explains an awful lot, and seems to be to be the only way to make sense of HLV.  And the fact that Mary was exposed as a villain in S3, and that was kind of resolved (at least to Sherlock and John's satisfaction, apparently) - I'm not so keen on having this happen again.  And if it did happen again, what was going on - were Sherlock and John just fooled? Again?  Or were they colluding with her? 

I also feel quite drawn to her in the promo pics, and feel she looks more fragile and vulnerable.  I kind of want to like her in S4. 

There's also just the fact that people seem to expect her to be a villain, and it would be more of a surprise if she was a goodie, or stayed ambiguous. A

dangerous, flawed heroine

as Amanda hinted in a recent interview. 

However, if they're going to make her villain ... I know I've said this before, but I'd much rather she was an ubervillain than a minion (which I feel would be a wasted opportunity). 

December 19, 2016 7:25 pm  #18

Finally! Ben and Martin doing promo together! 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 19, 2016 7:29 pm  #19

Mark and Martin on the radio now. That is - they are coming on the current program. Live radio here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 19, 2016 7:29 pm  #20

Thankyouthankyou.
Very good pic.

Board footera