BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 14, 2016 1:19 pm  #21

Re: The Series 4 Johnlock speculation thread (contains spoilers)

For those who are interested - AA will appear in One Show with some Sherlock promo:

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 14, 2016 1:52 pm  #22

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 14, 2016 2:21 pm  #23

SusiGo wrote:

Liberty wrote:

I think the "love conquers all" is very relevant, but apparently not enough to be a spoiler.  

You know what is funny? It would be a very big surprise for most viewers if it was John. I had a look at how mainstream media reacted to the trailer and did not find a single article mentioning John in this context. They spoke of romance, feelings, love interest, new developments for Sherlock but of those I read not a single one mentioned Johnlock. From this I would conclude that for most people it would be a big surprise indeed which means that showing it at this point was not a spoiler. 

Than you for doing some Research here. I've been wondering about exactly that!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 14, 2016 2:25 pm  #24

We all know what a gun is a symbol of... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 14, 2016 2:56 pm  #25

I, for one, love the "darkness" of the Watson family portrait.  We are in the world of 'BBC Sherlock' here, with all it's black humor and dysfunctional relationships; not the happy sunny world of a Sears family portrait studio.  And I love how much Mary is made to look so Sherlocky - right down to the cheekbone accentuation - so similar to 'mummy and daddy' paralleling John and Sherlock in their manner of dress in TEH.
This thread is going to be one of my new favorites as we progress!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

December 14, 2016 5:54 pm  #26

SusiGo wrote:

Liberty wrote:

I think the "love conquers all" is very relevant, but apparently not enough to be a spoiler.  

You know what is funny? It would be a very big surprise for most viewers if it was John. I had a look at how mainstream media reacted to the trailer and did not find a single article mentioning John in this context. They spoke of romance, feelings, love interest, new developments for Sherlock but of those I read not a single one mentioned Johnlock. From this I would conclude that for most people it would be a big surprise indeed which means that showing it at this point was not a spoiler. 

I think this is very true.  I know people "in real life" who watch Sherlock, but don't know anyone who sees Johnlock, apart from in the sense of "isn't it fun to ship them". 

(But to me that means that they haven't been telling that story from the beginning.  Not that Johnlock needs to be "the story they've been telling from the beginning" - no reason why it couldn't just start with S4.   Four and a half hours is plenty of time to establish it!   But just saying - this is probably not what the general public have been getting from the story up until now).

December 14, 2016 6:01 pm  #27

SolarSystem wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

I also agree that the promo shot was not meant to represent a "real" family photo of the Watsons.  But I did find the comparisons very interesting.  It's like it's the farthest away from "normal" they could get.

And wouldn't it be ironic if after giving us this not normal family promo pic, they'd end up showing us some pretty normal family scenes in S4? I'm not saying that they will and I'm not saying that I'd like to see this, I'm just saying that just like with pretty much everything they have been giving us so far it's possible that they are misleading us completely. Well, maybe not completely, because it seems to be a certainty that S4 will indeed be very dark. But maybe it won't be dark in the places in which we're expecting it to be dark.

I'm curious about this too.  They have been banging on about how dark it's going to be so a dark promo pic is hardly a surprise.  And a nice family scene or two would set us up for the darkness that's to come.  I wouldn't be surprised if they did that.    I have even started questionning whether Mary and the baby really are going to die ... after kind of assuming it for the past couple of years.  It would be quite a twist for them to still be there at the end of S4, although I suppose whether it is a twist or not depends on how familiar audiences are with ACD (for all I know, most people are just expecting happy families).

December 14, 2016 7:18 pm  #28

What I still find curious is the fact that Amanda wears the same blouse in every single scene we have seen so far in connection with the child: 

- in the alleged birth scene (it might be a similar blouse but could be the same as well)
- the baby shower scene
- the Borough Market scenes
- Bonnington Sq. 
- NGS filming
- the family photo

She wears the blouse, the jeans, and the white sneakers from the baby shower months later in the Borough Market scene. One more bizarre fact about the whole baby thing. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 14, 2016 7:24 pm  #29

SusiGo wrote:

What I still find curious is the fact that Amanda wears the same blouse in every single scene we have seen so far in connection with the child: 

- in the alleged birth scene (it might be a similar blouse but could be the same as well)
- the baby shower scene
- the Borough Market scenes
- Bonnington Sq. 
- NGS filming
- the family photo

She wears the blouse, the jeans, and the white sneakers from the baby shower months later in the Borough Market scene. One more bizarre fact about the whole baby thing. 

To tired to do laundry?  *giggle*

And yet John looks like the hottest Dad in town.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 14, 2016 7:58 pm  #30

It makes me wonder if there is only going to be one "scenario" (not the word I'm looking for, but I can't think of what it is) with the baby.  I.e. she's not going to feature repeatedly, but have a small part in one storyline. 

December 14, 2016 8:35 pm  #31

Liberty wrote:

It makes me wonder if there is only going to be one "scenario" (not the word I'm looking for, but I can't think of what it is) with the baby.  I.e. she's not going to feature repeatedly, but have a small part in one storyline. 

When you said "scenario" I immediately thought about the fake "how did he survive" scenarios in 3x1...

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

December 14, 2016 10:09 pm  #32

Liberty wrote:

You mean like, the Watsons get divorced and Mary only shows up occasionally?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 14, 2016 10:20 pm  #33

Liberty wrote:

I have even started questionning whether Mary and the baby really are going to die ... after kind of assuming it for the past couple of years.  It would be quite a twist for them to still be there at the end of S4,

You know, my pretty simple idea about this is that Amanda has been doing so much promotional stuff for S4 that the logical consequence is that Mary will not survive S4. It's the last chance for Amanda to be part of all the promo fun, so they let her do tons of it now.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 15, 2016 7:29 am  #34

That's possible, Solar.   Amanda seems to enjoy it and they all seem to be friends. 

Schmiezi, what I was thinking was that there maybe aren't a lot of scenes with the baby (can we call her Rosamund, now?) beyond what we've already seen.  Mainly around the bunny ears section. 

December 15, 2016 7:57 pm  #35

There's Q&A time on the PBS tumblr http://pbstv.tumblr.com/

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

December 15, 2016 8:43 pm  #36

Ivy wrote:

I don't get why fans ask questions like this one. If it is the big surprise of S4, what is Marc to say?

December 15, 2016 8:46 pm  #37

They were at their trolliest tonight! 

Yeah, what else did we expect? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 15, 2016 8:48 pm  #38

Schmiezi wrote:

Ivy wrote:

I don't get why fans ask questions like this one. If it is the big surprise of S4, what is Marc to say?

My thought exactly

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

December 15, 2016 8:52 pm  #39

Well, I think it could be either ...
- he is half-joking, because it's not clear at all exactly what's going on there.  To me it actually does look a little as if there is a mirror behind Sherlock, or
- actually, that's right - even if there is a mirror, it doesn't look like Sherlock is talking to either John or Mycroft. In which case it isn't giving away any plot points to simply confirm that.

This one is also relevant here or on the other thread:
http://pbstv.tumblr.com/post/154515709443/are-you-completely-against-the-idea-of-sherlock

Are you completely against the idea of Sherlock having a relationship with John? If so, what are your reasons?

Of course we’re not against it. But as we have explained many times, that’s not the story that we want to tell. Obviously as a gay man myself, I have no problem with the notion that a Sherlock Holmes and a Doctor Watson could be in a relationship together, but ours aren’t. It’s as simple as that. Sherlock is clearly capable of feeling emotion and of falling for someone, but that someone is not John Watson, despite his love and great affection for him.-Mark

Last edited by Liberty (December 15, 2016 8:56 pm)

December 16, 2016 4:08 am  #40

Liberty wrote:

Well, I think it could be either ...
- he is half-joking, because it's not clear at all exactly what's going on there.  To me it actually does look a little as if there is a mirror behind Sherlock, or
- actually, that's right - even if there is a mirror, it doesn't look like Sherlock is talking to either John or Mycroft. In which case it isn't giving away any plot points to simply confirm that.

This one is also relevant here or on the other thread:
http://pbstv.tumblr.com/post/154515709443/are-you-completely-against-the-idea-of-sherlock

Are you completely against the idea of Sherlock having a relationship with John? If so, what are your reasons?

Of course we’re not against it. But as we have explained many times, that’s not the story that we want to tell. Obviously as a gay man myself, I have no problem with the notion that a Sherlock Holmes and a Doctor Watson could be in a relationship together, but ours aren’t. It’s as simple as that. Sherlock is clearly capable of feeling emotion and of falling for someone, but that someone is not John Watson, despite his love and great affection for him.-Mark

Is has been said before several times and it never brought an end to our speculations. :-)

Remember that interview (was it at Comic Con this year?) when he basically said, "Johnlock won't happen, and btw we lie a lot about the show to keep you surprised."

Board footera