BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 12, 2016 3:18 pm  #1441

Re: sherlock series 4 (spoilers inside)

SusiGo wrote:

Lol, have you seen this happy family pic? The lovely colours, the caring mother holding her, both parents looking proudly at their child … cough. 

The thing that bothers me about this pic is that the baby looks so like a doll - or maybe it's the way Martin's holding her. 

But I absolutely love it!  Martin looks stunning, Amanda too.   I'm sure she has lost weight for this series (I don't know if it was especially for the series, or not), and she looks kind of more fragile and less robust than before, all cheekbones and eyes.  They look like classic film stars. 

It's also ambiguous - these are not the colours you choose for a baby photograph.  It's very dark, navy sort of tone, and not just their clothes.  Although the clothes too.  It looks more as if they're dressed for a funeral, which is quite ominous. 

Oh, and did I mention that Martin is stunning?  Why didn't I notice this before?

Last edited by Liberty (December 12, 2016 3:28 pm)

December 12, 2016 3:20 pm  #1442

Well, since Sherlock is only there to be mocked and treated like a piece of furniture in his own house (according to a "Colbert clip"), somebody had to replace him eventually....

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 12, 2016 3:24 pm  #1443

I do like Mary in this one (recognizes the jacket as Sherlock's immediately too! O.o) but John doesn't look natural, more like a wax figure. You wouldn't be able to hold a baby like that for any longer period of time, it's not a natural pose. You show your baby off to somebody like that but Mary isn't even looking.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

December 12, 2016 3:46 pm  #1444

What do you think - is this Sherlock at all?

The makeup is very dark... maybe it´s a clue the man here is not Sherlock but his twin? Sherrinford? The dark colour of his skin is a dead giveaway of the fact? Hmmm?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 12, 2016 4:01 pm  #1445

It's a pretty picture at first glance. 

But looking closer it seems like something out of Hitchcock or Guillermo del Torro... *shivers* 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 12, 2016 4:04 pm  #1446

The makeup on the 'I love you' thing does seem a bit 'caked' like the weird 'brown' picture... 

But he still has his lip scar... did the 'weird' picture have that too? (I hope someone knows what I'm talking about, lol. My brain isn't as it should be today) 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 12, 2016 5:49 pm  #1447

So this is the whole picture:

It's not only the jacket but the trousers too! I don't think it's Sherlock's jacket (the lapels are too narrow, and anyway it wouldn't fir Amanda seeing how much taller Ben is), but the suit has been definitely picked with Sherlock's in mind!!!

-----

December 12, 2016 5:57 pm  #1448

There's the curlier hairstyle as well, which is more like Sherlock's - very different to the ones in S3. 

Martin's eyes look dark brown in that picture. 

December 12, 2016 6:02 pm  #1449

I am very sure that this is not Mary replacing Sherlock but the other way round. First making her look like him, then replacing her as the person at John's side. As it should be. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 12, 2016 6:04 pm  #1450

SusiGo wrote:

I am very sure that this is not Mary replacing Sherlock but the other way round. First making her look like him, then replacing her as the person at John's side. As it should be. 

Dein Wort in Moftiss's Ohr.
Meaning... well... I hope you're right

-----

December 12, 2016 6:06 pm  #1451

Those pictures are cold. I start freezing when I look at them.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

December 12, 2016 6:06 pm  #1452

Softly, softly … 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 12, 2016 6:09 pm  #1453

There is something.... off about these pictures, although I can't put my finger on exactly what. They make me uneasy.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 12, 2016 6:13 pm  #1454

This is definitely not how you would present a happy young family. And while I think that they both look very attractive, they seem strange. Not the characters we came to know. Both not paying attention to the child. Mary becoming outwardly similar to Sherlock. And such a dark backdrop …

December 12, 2016 6:15 pm  #1455

Yeah. And it feels... artificial. I don't get the sense or feel of family, closeness and love.

For instance, in the shaving scene with John and Mary in TEH, I could feel a mutual and natural ease and warmth between them. I don't see any of that here.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 12, 2016 6:18 pm  #1456

nakahara wrote:

Really, John must be the first parent to name his child after the FAKE identity.
(shakes head in disbelief)

Why not?  Mary's a pretty name! =)

Seriously, though, unfortunately, I fear that some of you are right.  Something is off with these photos.  Well, we never expected a happily-ever-after with this family; ACD canon forbids that.  John is going to lose his family one way or the other--I believe through death.

Last edited by kgreen20 (December 12, 2016 6:21 pm)

December 12, 2016 6:21 pm  #1457

She stole the name from a dead child's grave. Just saying. 

December 12, 2016 6:25 pm  #1458

They look like puppets... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

December 12, 2016 6:32 pm  #1459

I know it's just me, but I see more closeness there, and maybe even love, than in the previous pictures of them.  I think it's the way they are leaning their heads together, and that their eyes are shining. 

It's the baby that's off for me, in the photo.  John looks like a Joseph holding a Jesus doll in a kids' Nativity play.  (Maybe they are referencing Martin's "Nativity"!).

And I like the somber tone.  I wasn't actually hoping for bright, happy family photos.  Maybe it's just because it's new, but as I said, I really like it.  I was intrigued about the clip of Amanda in the new trailer .... I'm getting so curious about what they're going to do with her, and whether she's going to be the Big Bad or something else.  Either way, we know it's likely to all fall apart for that family, which adds some poignancy to the photo, and I think the darkness helps to bring that out, and maybe foreshadow the future.

December 12, 2016 8:02 pm  #1460

About Rosamund's (did I spell that right?) newspaper message thingy:
Is it possible that a bad person put that message in the newspaper? Maybe as a way to call people's attention to the Watsons, baby Watson, Sherlock, and his friends? And when I say "people's" I mean ordinary people AND bad guys? 'Cause the whole message feels weird, if that's the right word for it. I get that Sherlock is quirky, but the whole "Sherlock had nothing to do with this because he's constantly on his phone" worries me. Seems trivial to put the reason why Sherlock didn't help in there. And since when is Sherlock always on his phone? And he NEVER calls people, he prefers text. I don't know, just the whole message thing throws me a little.

The eyes are the mirror of the soul

#sherlollyforever

Board footera