BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 18, 2016 2:35 pm  #41

Re: These "series 4 is the last" rumours

Somehow that does not make sense at all. How could the story influence the production? With make-up and special effects and all that...

And besides, they have fallen behind already, storywise. It should be 2013/2014 in the show, right?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

October 18, 2016 4:34 pm  #42

When you join the Sherlock fandom, the initiation ceremony involves having the power of patience bestowed upon you!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 18, 2016 6:07 pm  #43

Schmiezi wrote:

Somehow that does not make sense at all. How could the story influence the production? With make-up and special effects and all that...

And besides, they have fallen behind already, storywise. It should be 2013/2014 in the show, right?

I think it would be more than just jumping ahead in time.   It would involve something else (retirement, incarceration, even death of a main character - or maybe something even bigger, a change to the world around them if they moved into "the future") which would make it seem that there must be a time delay before the next one.  That's all I can think at the moment.   And yes, I've been really curious about them being behind, time-wise, and wondered if they were going to jump farther ahead in S4 (or even back - EMP, flashback, etc.).   As I mentioned, setlock has given me a lot to think about it, but I don't want to talk about it in this thread in case not everybody has wanted to follow it!

October 18, 2016 7:59 pm  #44

Liberty wrote:

Schmiezi wrote:

I think it would be more than just jumping ahead in time.   It would involve something else (retirement, incarceration, even death of a main character - or maybe something even bigger, a change to the world around them if they moved into "the future") which would make it seem that there must be a time delay before the next one.  That's all I can think at the moment.   And yes, I've been really curious about them being behind, time-wise, and wondered if they were going to jump farther ahead in S4 (or even back - EMP, flashback, etc.).   As I mentioned, setlock has given me a lot to think about it, but I don't want to talk about it in this thread in case not everybody has wanted to follow it!

Hmmm, but Schmiezi has a point - this things could easily dealt with within the storyline itself and should not require any delays in our RL world.

Also, considering how Amanda Abbington wasn´t even informed that Mary would shoot Sherlock.... are actors really aware of the plot points planned by creators? Can they really judge the actual lenght of a hiatus between seasons?

Plus, the change in "regularity" certainly feels different to actors than to their audience. The audience only sees the finished product so the waiting seems unending to them. But actors were just a short time ago involved in filming and post-production of TAB, then they filmed S4 almost immediately, to them it certainly seems like hiatuses are just the short flashes of time.... "regularity" can have different meaning to them than to us.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 18, 2016 10:23 pm  #45

That's a good point, nakahara. Extensive post-production could lengthen the hiatus. Interesting thought ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 19, 2016 6:41 am  #46

Yes, I agree, Nakahara, but I was also wondering ... they've kept things contemporary up until now, even if it has fallen a couple of years behind, but if they jumped into the actual future, the storyline might require that they wait to catch up.   I can't think of an example, but it could be marked by some major but predictable event (like the death of the queen.  Although the timing of that is probably TOO unpredictable!). 

I'm not a writer, so can't think of any more exciting plot reasons, so something time-orientated is what's springing to mind.   And I'm still wondering if there is going to be some tie-in to real life events (television history).

The other alternative is, I know Benedict is very articulate and intelligent, but he does sometimes just seem to let the words flow and doesn't always say exactly what he means.   It may just be that we're all misinterpreting because of the way he's put it.  But I do get the impression that he's saying something we will see in S4 (presumably the last episode) will make us not expect to see another episode soon after.

October 19, 2016 7:15 am  #47

Liberty wrote:

The other alternative is, I know Benedict is very articulate and intelligent, but he does sometimes just seem to let the words flow and doesn't always say exactly what he means.   It may just be that we're all misinterpreting because of the way he's put it.

Yes, personally I lean towards this possibility.
But we will see, of course.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 24, 2016 11:07 am  #48

He got another chance to deny it again on BBC 2, and it sounds even more convincing now that it won't be the last! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 24, 2016 1:32 pm  #49

Yes, I heard the interview, too, and I got the same impression as you did. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 24, 2016 2:01 pm  #50

That is good to hear! :-)

October 24, 2016 5:05 pm  #51

Hmm, I don't know. He said it was definitely not the last season, but then the host mentioned a long hiatus and Benedict enjoyed this wording too much for my liking!

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

October 24, 2016 5:08 pm  #52

Hiatus is better than nothing for me... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 24, 2016 5:17 pm  #53

And again he said that we would understand when we saw the series, why there might be a long hiatus. I can't wait - and I am starting to seriously dread - watching S4 and the end of it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 2, 2016 5:43 pm  #54

Ooh, nice artwork!  All that wavy blue and red makes me think of blood and water. 

December 2, 2016 5:54 pm  #55

This is really, really amazing.

-----

December 2, 2016 8:25 pm  #56

You mean paintings instead of photographs?  They always used photos for the previous DVD/Blu-Ray covers.

December 2, 2016 8:33 pm  #57

Looks like Alice X. Zhang's work
http://alicexz.deviantart.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 2, 2016 8:58 pm  #58

Her Study in Pink used to be my desktop for quite a while *fond memories*

Since she's got a "BBC Licensed" folder on her dA, I suppose they commissioned her to do the cover.

-----

December 3, 2016 12:57 pm  #59

I just read on Sherlockology's twitter feed that The Doctor Who S9 Steelbook by Alice X. Zhang was an UK Amazon exclusive, that there was no international version and that it sold out. Apparently it can change hands for £200+

Therefore I imagine the Sherlock S4 steelbook will be quite a collector's item!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 3, 2016 1:15 pm  #60

I have nothing to play a Blu-Ray on but I've just pre-ordered the UK Steelbook.
*hamster feelz*

-----

Board footera