BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 21, 2016 8:29 pm  #1

S4 photos from Empire

Here are some new photos from Empire magazine:

The above seems to be taken in front of or in the MI6 building. The"family picture" seems strange, no real connection between any of them. And just look at Smith's and John's hairstyles and colours. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 21, 2016 8:34 pm  #2

Re: S4 photos from Empire

They do look strange... but quite interesting!

Which month is that? (in case I could afford the magazine...) 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 21, 2016 8:51 pm  #3

The Smith pic and the "family picture" both seem a bit over the top to me. I mean, Toby Jones has "baddie" written all over him... can it be that obvious?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 21, 2016 9:46 pm  #4

Btw, here is the full text of the article: 

http://thesetison.tumblr.com/post/153486889041/x-text-of-the-empire-magazine-article-on

I had to laugh out loud. I bet you that nothing written there is remotely true. My favourite is: "It inevitably changes the relationship between John and Sherlock,” says Freeman. “For John, as you’d imagine, there can be nobody more important than his wife and child.”  (Said no John Watson ever). 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 21, 2016 9:56 pm  #5

I don't trust a word of that, but it's a nice read anyhow! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 21, 2016 10:04 pm  #6

Why did you omitted that nice pic of Mycroft?

November 21, 2016 10:30 pm  #7

I did not omit it. It was not in the blog entry from which I got the other pics. Feel free to add it anytime. 

November 21, 2016 10:32 pm  #8

Don't have it either, saw only small image of the whole page

November 21, 2016 10:38 pm  #9

Voilà.

November 21, 2016 11:13 pm  #10

“This is about as tough a journey as John and Sherlock go on,” says Moffat. “We’re taking them to hell and back this time.”

I'm dead, so dead. Moffat, there will be no fans left to watch if you keep killing us off with heartbreak... BUT I'M STILL SO FREAKING EXCITED ANYWAYS AHHH. 40 DAYS LEFT, WE CAN DO IT.
And I love how in the "family" pic Sherlock's just glaring at the Watson baby all like,                  what is this tiny spawn of Jawn's, why is it hogging my Jawn.

The eyes are the mirror of the soul

#sherlollyforever

November 21, 2016 11:42 pm  #11

SusiGo wrote:

Btw, here is the full text of the article: 

http://thesetison.tumblr.com/post/153486889041/x-text-of-the-empire-magazine-article-on

I had to laugh out loud. I bet you that nothing written there is remotely true. My favourite is: "It inevitably changes the relationship between John and Sherlock,” says Freeman. “For John, as you’d imagine, there can be nobody more important than his wife and child.”  (Said no John Watson ever). 

Totally written for the casual viewers.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 22, 2016 8:47 am  #12

I'm actually quite pleased that Sherlock's reaction to the baby is "mild indifference".  I wasn't really looking forward to comedy Uncle Sherlock.  However, I do think it's natural that the baby would be the most important thing in John's life - doesn't that happen to most people when they have a baby?  I would be disappointed if it wasn't.  All the better to wring our hearts out with!  And at the moment, Mary is important enough to John that he stayed with her despite everything (although we're all waiting for more revalations in S4!).  But yes, the baby changing the relationship was something Sherlock predicted ... you can see it in his expression in TSOT.  (It doesn't mean the relationship will be changed for the worst - I'm hoping it's stronger by the end).

The funniest bit is "don’t expect merry times just because Moriarty is gone".   Wait a minute, didn't we just see him in the trailer? 

Love the picture of Toby.  I'm so looking forward to Culverton Smith!  The article seems to be written as if he is the new villain, taking over from Moriarty .. but I think he was only filming Ep2, wasn't he?  Still wondering if the villain of Ep3 will be Sherlock himself, or somebody very close to him (Mycroft being the obvious choice, if Mary has been despatched, but I don't actually want Mycroft to be the villain so I'm hoping not).

Not long to go! 

November 22, 2016 12:13 pm  #13

Well, not that I am keen for funny Uncle Sherlock but I would expect a bit more than mild indifference after he almost sacrificed his life to keep the family safe. 

As for Moriarty: yes, Andrew in in S4 but in what form? Flashback, Mind Palace, twin brother … it does not mean that Moriarty is not dead. 

That said, I am quite sure that we will get a lot of smoke and mirrors in weeks to come. The Borough market scene for example felt very weird to me. I am not convinced that we will get any harmonious family scenes at all. And even there it seemed that Mary was living somewhere else or was at least absent from home for the time being. 

November 22, 2016 12:16 pm  #14

Liberty wrote:

I'm actually quite pleased that Sherlock's reaction to the baby is "mild indifference".  I wasn't really looking forward to comedy Uncle Sherlock.  However, I do think it's natural that the baby would be the most important thing in John's life - doesn't that happen to most people when they have a baby?  I would be disappointed if it wasn't.  All the better to wring our hearts out with!  And at the moment, Mary is important enough to John that he stayed with her despite everything (although we're all waiting for more revalations in S4!).  But yes, the baby changing the relationship was something Sherlock predicted ... you can see it in his expression in TSOT.  (It doesn't mean the relationship will be changed for the worst - I'm hoping it's stronger by the end).

Hmmm, and people wonder why are some fans fed up with Mofftiss´ constant lies:

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 22, 2016 12:32 pm  #15

I don't see the lie there.  I think that's how it is.

Yes, they are playing games with Moriarty.  Of course it could be mind palace, flashback, etc.  But the article seemed to dismiss the fact that he appears at all - that they've actually shown us he's going to be in S4.  Theres's still a chance he could be the main villain (rather than Culverton Smith), whether it's beyond the grave or something else.   Although like I say, I have a feeling it's someone closer to home (although Moriarty could be closer to home than we've known!). 

November 22, 2016 12:57 pm  #16

Liberty wrote:

I don't see the lie there.  I think that's how it is.

I don´t know. For me, the claim "He is never going to settle for a quiet domestic life in general practise" is a direct opposite of "It inevitably changes the relationship between John and Sherlock. For John, as you´d imagine, there can be nobody more important than his child and wife."

So he settles for a domestic life and doesn´t settle for it at the same moment? How is that possible?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 22, 2016 2:06 pm  #17

Well one thing is what Martin says and another -what Mark says. While the interpretation should be similar, we can't accuse one of lying because the other one says something different
I'm actually surprised the magazine can quote Martin at all. That would be his first comment on the new series, wouldn't it?

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

November 22, 2016 3:14 pm  #18

Yes, that's surprising.  He has been so quiet on the matter up until now. 

However, I don't feel he's saying that John wants to settle for a quiet, domestic life in general practice (in setlock, it looks as if he's even taking the baby along on a case - although, as we all know, that could be mind palace!) only that his relationships change.  Having a baby is going to do that.  And it's possible that that may only be in Ep1. 

November 22, 2016 7:12 pm  #19

Not my credit, I read it on Tumblr - but on that "family photo", John isn't wearing his wedding ring.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

November 22, 2016 7:31 pm  #20

Maybe there's a "messy divorce" after all!

Board footera