BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 5, 2016 10:10 am  #21

Re: let's discuss... dr Strange (spoilers)

I do see similarities between Stephen and Tony; in their personality... both arrogant people who have to swallow some humble pie.

Both are broken physically and through healing themselves become an unlikely super hero... Tony with the metal armour that keeps him alive... Stephen trying to fix his hands and becoming a sorcerer...

But I think it's a little lazy to just sat it's a variant of the other. (just like saying Doctor Strange is the new Inception...)

But all that aside I'd love to see them together. I have a feeling they would hate each other for the same reasons as what they have in common...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 5, 2016 10:13 am  #22

So he's a bit hypocritical with his hippocratic oath

(Oops, this post was supposed to follow on from my last one, but you beat me to it, Phantom!)

Last edited by ukaunz (November 5, 2016 10:14 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 6, 2016 8:37 am  #23

I'm not sure whether to cheer or cringe.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 7, 2016 12:26 pm  #24

I really like this observation (from tumblr)

A small detail about Doctor Strange that left me teary...

I noticed when I was watching Doc Strange for the first time, he had a piano in his high-rise apartment. And it left me curious as to whether they would show him playing it or not.

But then he had the crash; the permanent nerve-damage left his hands in a terrible state.

And when they showed his apartment after, the piano was gone.

He’d given up his music because he couldn’t play any longer.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 7, 2016 12:30 pm  #25

*sobs* oh no! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 7, 2016 12:39 pm  #26

SusiGo wrote:

I really like this observation (from tumblr)

A small detail about Doctor Strange that left me teary...

I noticed when I was watching Doc Strange for the first time, he had a piano in his high-rise apartment. And it left me curious as to whether they would show him playing it or not.

But then he had the crash; the permanent nerve-damage left his hands in a terrible state.

And when they showed his apartment after, the piano was gone.

He’d given up his music because he couldn’t play any longer.

And he needed the money for all his treatments. I think that was one of the reasons that he sold it.

Last edited by gently69 (November 7, 2016 12:40 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

November 7, 2016 2:06 pm  #27

True. Which is as sad as the other one. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 7, 2016 3:29 pm  #28

Just a funny little geek thing. It's about Sherlock but I put it here as it contains Dr Strange spoilers.

The official FB page for Sherlock posted a new picture from S4 (of Sherlock). One of the comments read:

"Moriarty! I've come to negotiate!"

It had 115 Likes within the first five minutes. I loved it. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

November 7, 2016 4:09 pm  #29

As for piano, every shot we have at his appartement (there are not many of them) show how it is becoming more empty, as his old life and money desintegrate.

I read some reveviews complaining that DS feels "rushed" and proceeding too quickly, but actually, even if I would loved to see Benedict in addtional scenes, I felt they made a right choice about the pace of the plot.
It is very cleverly done: the segment of him as a doctor gives us all important information about the character and then shows us his decent into despair and ruin in a very believable way.

Similarly, teaching process at Kamar-Taj never becomes boring and moves quickly, but we are reminded of the passing of time for example by the change of Strange's clothes, as he is progressing among the rangs of disceples.

November 7, 2016 4:12 pm  #30

I did feel the same. Not that it was rushed, per se, but that I would have preferred a slower pace with more details. Lingering a bit more at every step of the way. But I understand that it wouldn't work as a movie. They would've made it into a trilogy or a tv series if they had done it the pace I would've wanted. 

So I don't see how they could have done it any better than they did, within the timeframe they had.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

November 7, 2016 11:19 pm  #31

Now that I finally saw the movie (yippiiiii!!!) I think that it only seems rushed because it´s so exciting it literally flies by and two hours feel more like few minutes (and you don´t want to leave the cinema already). 
I was prepared in advance for a "rushed up" story, but in the end I felt that every important detail got a very decent time onscreen....

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 7, 2016 11:21 pm  #32

ukaunz wrote:

I'm not sure whether to cheer or cringe.

LOL, that made my day! 

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 8, 2016 2:37 pm  #33

The only thing that felt a bit rushed to me was the ending. I would gladly watch an hour or more of this spectacle...

The movie was very enjoyable otherwise. It never ceases to astonish me how naturally Benedict inhabits his characters. You would think that the glimpses of his real self would shine through here-and-there, but then he just marches onscreen and he is completely transformed into another person and walks in his skin as if it was his own. He was a wonderful Dr. Strange and the rest of the cast was stellar too... especially Tilda Swinton as The Ancient One was absolutely enchanting - so very wise, possessing arcane knowledge and yet so youthful and energetic... the dialogues between her and Benedict sounded like music. It really shows you why are British actors considered to be the best ones globally.

That magical world Dr. Strange lived in was also enthralling to the maximum. I rarely enjoy movie tricks anymore, but here I had to admire the excellent work of the filmmakers in that regard. The duels on the constantly changing surface of various buildings or the Shanghai apokalypse running backwards in time are now among my most favourite movie tricks... it nicely removed me from mundane reality for a few hours.

I also quite enjoyed many humorous moments added into the story as well as heartbreaking moments... the accident in which Strange broke his arms and the aftermath of it was so torturous... the last conversation of Strang and the Ancient One was full of poetic beauty....

Definitely the movie I need to see in cinema a second time!

The 3D was also very bearable, I was surprised that no motion sickness resulted from watching the movie in that state... I did feel a bit drunk afterwards, but maybe I was merely intoxicated with good acting and the fantasy world I just witnessed.

November 8, 2016 4:18 pm  #34

Swanpride wrote:

what I was missing were those scenes in which two characters just share a moment and forge a connection to each other during it. I liked all the characters, but the connection between them were kind of missing, and there was way too much telling instead of showing regarding their motivations.

The exposition in the movies is always the most delicate part to handle, especially if there is a LOT to explain (7 minutes introduction to the LOTR, anybody?). I still remember the cringeworthy bombastic introduction to "Thor", which poor Anthony Hopkins had to tell. Actually, here they managed to smuggle explanatory parts quite cleverly, IMO. They managed not to introduce a voice-over narration and they incorporated necessary information about Dormammu, Kaecillius etc. in the scenes which were about something else (for example, Strange-Mordo training).

As for the connections between the characters, I have no complains because for me they worked. May-be because the actors were all excellent, but also because the material was good and the actors had good chemistry and somehow felt like "real" persons even in the "magical" dimension (if it makes sense). The only one who came to me as less "human" is Mads Mikkelsen's villain, IMO. His motivations were intriguing but they weren't fleshed out enough. Also, the relationship between him and the Ancient one could have been given more depth, may-be. On the other hand, this is the movie about dr Strange and to give more attention to the villain could be distracting.

November 8, 2016 4:39 pm  #35

The end made me crave for more. I'm ready for the next! 

And perhaps that was on purpose...

(and I had a funny thought the other day, they showed the animated film on kids TV and I thought this one, compared to zombie kids spitting fire, this film was a bit more kids friendly, lol)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

November 8, 2016 5:17 pm  #36

What suprised me (positively, I might add) was the humour. I loved that the movie didn't take itself too seriously. Me and my friend were doubled over in laughter several times. Ben really does have great comical timing! I LOVED his "Eminem... Beyonce" to Wong. His dry "Thank you" after leaning on the door begging to be let in (a scene that initially broke my heart and had me from teary-eyed to laughter in 1 second).

Dr. Strange was wonderfully arrogant and cruel - even more so than Sherlock. I loved everything about him - and I was again surprised when the tense fight/action-sequences were relieved with humor when Dr Strange - again! - runs into the hospital with a wounded, and the female character (forgot her name) just sighs in defeat. Wonderful!

And when Dr. Strange and one of the goons started fighting in astral form, I was sure this must be one of the most insane movies i've ever seen. I have never seen anything like it, absolutely amazing!

I have one criticism: Everyone talked about how the villain had a solid and good argument for his belief. But I saw a flaw in it immediately - he talked about eternal life. My first question was: But what quality of life? How will that eternal life be? No one addressed the issue to him directly, The Ancient One just mentioned it once in passing. To me, that was a glaring error when they try to portray a villain that had just chosen a different path (an idea I love, which is why I was disappointed with the weak logic).

Team Hudders!

November 8, 2016 5:36 pm  #37

Vhanja wrote:

What suprised me (positively, I might add) was the humour. I loved that the movie didn't take itself too seriously. 

Oh, I loved it too! I had my fears, because humour is not exactly high quality in the Marvel movies. There were some good bits in Avengers and in the Ant-man, but many time it seems strained. So I was positively surprised and delighted by the way they used it in DS, intersecting serious scenes with light tone and avoiding bombastic-epic-melodramatic element which is so frequent in other films (Superman was probably the worst!)

November 8, 2016 5:42 pm  #38

I love the comedic bits in the film, the two times I saw it in a cinema people were laughing so hard at certain scenes. It had some really good lines and timing with it too!

About Kaecilius' reasons I did have a few question... he wanted eternal life... but was that in retrospect too? I mean if he had to live forever and still be without his family and everyone he loved... what kind of life is that? Shouldn't he know how that hurts? Of course he'd stop it from ever happening again to anyone else and in a way that is a 'noble' thought. But yeah.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

November 10, 2016 3:39 am  #39

A new Doctor Strange "Easter Egg" has been revealed:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/doctor-strange-director-reveals-the-actor-behind-villain-dormammu-164538277.html

I did think at the time I was watching the movie that Dormammu's voice sounded similar to Strange's/Benedict's.

November 10, 2016 7:10 am  #40

I sort of like that!

Especially because basically now it means that Doctor Strange was bargaining with himself!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

Board footera