BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 27, 2016 12:31 pm  #1

Watching series 4 - please help!

I need the help of our more experienced fandom!
You lucky ones who live in the UK (and this time even the US!?) who just have to turn on their telly on New Year.

But HOW do you people from outside manage to watch the show as early as possible? What did you do in the past? I'm quite sure the German TV will show it only in April or May, like they always did, and there is NO way I could possibly wait that long. As for now, I see those options:

- there is a bad quality livestream of BBC one you can easily find in the internet. This would be my safe but not preferred choice.

- apparently you can pay some euros for a HD Livestream. I'm always very suspicious of these kind of things and I never did it before. What have you experienced? Can you recommend it? Does it work well?

- a rather good quality official livestream of BBC you can only get within the UK. There is a way though that you can trick your PC into simulating a British IP address via a proxy server. Some are free, some you have to pay for, some you can get 30 days (or something like that) for free. Do you know any good ones? Sadly, I'm rather clueless when it comes to IT and technical thingsand there would be no guarantee that I would get it to work.

-On my TV I can watch BBC World. But this is only a News channel I believe and BBC won't be showing Sherlock there, or will they??? If they did it would be the most perfect thing ever, because nearly everyone around the world is receiving BBC World I believe.

-Ok, so my preferred choice would be to watch it on my telly. A nice big HD screen where you can enjoy the wonderfull pictures and camerawork of Sherlock! I get my telly programm via satellite. And I found out that you can actually receive BBC in parts of Western and Middle of Germany!!! I live in West/Mid (yay!) so chances are not too bad maybe, but I also read that a larger satellite dish will increase your chances. Unfortunately the one we have is one of the smallest ones I've ever seen. *sigh* I already played with the settings from TV/satellite receiver but I didn't get it to work. As I said, I'm a techincal noob. Maybe I can ask my father if he can help me. But he would  probably think I'm crazy. So much effort for a TV show...

-To fellow Germans out there: You don't think there is any hope that ARD will show the English Sherlock version on one of their other channels like EinsFestival on New Years eve? But I suppose they wouldn't have the rights to show it... Do you know of any Swiss or Austrian channel that will show Sherlock?

- I'm not a friend of buying stuff online. I never bought a film or series online to instant watch. For Sherlock I could make an exception maybe. How was it in the past? Could you buy Sherlock episodes instantly afterwards? Where can you buy it? On ITunes? Amazon Video? And (sorry for the stupid question but as I said, I've never done this before) for the 3, 4, 5 or whatever Euros you pay, can you only watch it ONCE? Or can you save it on you PC? Or can you call it up from their database as often as you wish?

Things will be even worse for me, because by the looks of it, I will be on holidays in the first week of January, with no or very slow internet and a telly that won't show BBC One. 

How did you survive this for series 2 and 3? Thankful for any tipps and help!

Last edited by Rache (October 27, 2016 12:36 pm)

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

October 27, 2016 12:53 pm  #2

Re: Watching series 4 - please help!

Same problem, went with the option 1 to watch TAB, no Austrian channel showing the new season that I know of, no satellite dish :o
I'd love to watch the show on amazon video but have no idea whether you need to buy the ep every time. I'll be watching this thread closely

Edit:
Well my knowledgeable colleague says that you can rent or buy tv shows on amazon video...

Last edited by ewige (October 27, 2016 1:02 pm)

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

October 27, 2016 1:28 pm  #3

Which live streams have you tried in the past?
I think apart from gently, who thanks to living together with a technical expert is receiving BBC One via satellite dish, everybody else in Germany has been watching it via live stream in the past. I'm connecting my laptop to my TV, the quality isn't as good as on DVD or BluRay, but it works.

And no, I'm pretty sure ARD won't do us the pleasure of showing this in the original version on any of their channels. We'll certainly have to wait until Easter or Pentecost.

@ewige: Your colleague is right, I've done it in the past. But not every show is available on Amazon Video. Should it be available, you'll indeed have to pay for every episode.

Last edited by SolarSystem (October 27, 2016 1:31 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 27, 2016 1:34 pm  #4

Technical expert... my husband will be flattered.
How is the Live-Stream called? Filmon?

Last edited by gently69 (October 27, 2016 1:35 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

October 27, 2016 1:44 pm  #5

I bought TAB on Amazon video, but I'm sure it wasn't available until a while after the broadcast, maybe a couple of weeks.   It was a one-off payment and I can stream it whenever I want.  That might be an option if all else fails!  Before I bought it, I watched it on iplayer.  I'm sure there are restrictions on iplayer outside the UK (here you need a TV licence to watch live), but somebody else might know how to watch it from abroad. 

October 27, 2016 1:45 pm  #6

But it's true, gently, isn't it?
And yes, Filmon is the one.

Last edited by SolarSystem (October 27, 2016 1:46 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 27, 2016 3:08 pm  #7

Mod's Note:  Sorry guys but need to put a flag on this discussion.  Although many people do it we really shouldn't be talking about any illegal methods of watching Sherlock.  Easy to forget but we are one of the biggest and most popular Sherlock forums on the web.  Because of that we do try to avoid any overt impropriety.    As always, you may feel free to talk about anything you want on private message.
Thank you for your understanding.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 27, 2016 3:33 pm  #8

tonnaree wrote:

Mod's Note:  Sorry guys but need to put a flag on this discussion.  Although many people do it we really shouldn't be talking about any illegal methods of watching Sherlock.  Easy to forget but we are one of the biggest and most popular Sherlock forums on the web.  Because of that we do try to avoid any overt impropriety.    As always, you may feel free to talk about anything you want on private message.
Thank you for your understanding.

Oh no, how bad! But understandable...
I wonder if this 'certain' Stream really is illegal, though. One search on google, one click and you're there. That doesn't mean anything, though, I think...

@Liberty: Thanks for the information with Amazon video, this is helpful information. If I'm away without internet for the first episode, this would be my only option to watch it before it airs in German TV. But it would mean watching ep. 2&3 (when I will have internet access for sure again)  before ep. 1. Horrible thought!

Please feel free to PN me if you can give any information or help, maybe even with the satellite. The satellite thing is perfectly legal btw. (PN in German also very welcome

Last edited by Rache (October 27, 2016 3:36 pm)

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

October 27, 2016 3:42 pm  #9

Thank you Rache!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

Board footera